BBB Accredited Business since 10/31/2011

Rent A Home, LLC

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

06/18/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I submitted an application for me and my fiance for an apartment. I received a call stating we were approved by agent ******. ****** was indicating the amount that we will have to pay to move in. First months rent of $794, security deposit for $794 plus an additional $600. I informed her that I thought by law the security deposit cannot be no more than the monthly rent. She indicated that was incorrect. I then asked her why the additional $600. She stated because I didn't have credit and because we did not have rental history. I understand I do not have credit, however, I did inform her that we do have rental history. I told her that we also put that on our application as well. She stated because we are not currently renting, we do not have rental history. We have been staying with family since toward the end of February. However, we have been renting since February 2013 until February 2015. She said that does not count because we are not 'presently' renting. Then I told her we were renting with family. She said that does not count. I told her that I am still not understanding the concept. She was very rude because I was not understanding the additional cost. She then disconnected the phone. However, her phone did not actually hang up. She was discussing our information to an unknown third party. I called her right back and apologized for the mis-understanding, I just want to understand what the extra cost is for. She said it was too late because we are denied because I was being argumentative. I have the right to ask questions. That doesn't mean I am being argumentative. Later, she received a call from a third party where she then disclosed our information again. This is a HIPPA violation. She then fabricated the denial letter on the reason we were denied. The information she put on the letter was not the same information she indicated over the phone. Can someone please assist on my next steps. Thanks

$100 refund for application fee. $50 for me and $50 for my fiance.

Dear Ms. **********:

Ms. ** submitted a rental application that did not meet our rental criteria. An effort was made by ****** with a Manager to try to help her by increasing the refundable security deposit. But she (Ms. **) became verbally hostile, argumentative, and even offensive while threatening to file all kind of complaints against our company including one for violation to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Ms. ** behavior resulted in her father in law contacting our office and apologizing for Ms. **** behavior.

In conclusion, Ms. ** filled a rental application from our website. Through the process, she was advised not once but four times that, the application fee was not refundable, but she still went ahead with it. This complaint is not only totally baseless but an attempt to use the BBB to blackmail a member and should be dismissed immediately.

Peter R. Lorie
Managing Partner

The information provided is incorrect. I was told the application fee is non refundable. I am not disputing that. However, I was told by ****** that we were approved. She stated we had to pay $794 for the first month's rent; Then we had to pay $794 plus $600 extra dollars for the security deposit. Therefore, they were charging $1394 for the security deposit. To move in we had to pay $2188 total. I was already prepared to pay $794 for first month's rent; and $794 for the security deposit. I asked ****** what was the reason of the extra $600. She stated because we had NO rental history. I advised her that we do have rental history which we also indicated on both of our applications. Then she said that since we were not 'currently renting', that is why we are being charged the $600 extra. I then indicated to ****** that I thought the security deposit could not be no more than the monthly rent. She indicated that I was wrong. I told her I still was not understanding the reason on the extra $600 based on we are not "currently renting'. We just moved out our place at the end of February 2015. But we do have two years of rental history. The application did not state if we are NOT currently renting, then we wouldn't qualify or may be charged a higher deposit. The application stated 'Your Rental History'. When ****** showed the apartment, she asked me if we had rental history. I informed her yes, two years. I informed her that we are staying with family since the end of February 2015. Not one time did ****** indicate we had to be 'renting currently'. She made a comment stating it was good that we were with family saving money before the babay is born. Therefore, she knew before we submitted the application that we were staying with family since the end of February 2015. I am fully aware the security deposit is non refundable as I have rented several times before. I am not disputing that. I am disputing the fact that ****** told me we were approved. Then when I had questions about the extra deposit, she felt that I was being agrumentative. I informed ****** that I apologize if I was not understanding, but I want to make sure I understand before we pay as that is a lot of money she was requesting. It is too many scams not to take precaution. ****** was frustrated because I was not understanding her logic behind us not "currently renting". I asked her was their a superviser that I can speak with as I was still not comprehending. She said no, and that she was the supervisor. I asked her was there anyone else that can better explain the situation to me that's in charge. She said no, she was the only one. ****** then disconnected the phone on me because I kept asking her questions. I then called back and she stated we were denied. I asked her how was we denied when she just told me that we were approved and she disconnected again. My dad in law called to speak with ****** (as he is the one who referred us). Regardless of the circumstance, ****** should not have provided any information to my dad in law about the situation. She should have told him that she could not provide any information. Therefore, that is a HIPPA violation. I am requesting the money back as ****** was being spiteful because I was questioning the extra $600.

Additionally, Ms. ** has behaved in a very hostile and offensive manner.

Ms. ** behavior resulted in her father in law contacting our office and apologizing for Ms. ***s behavior.

This complaint has no merit whatsoever and the application fee will not be refunded in accordance to our website public information.

Peter R. Lorie