BBB Accredited Business since 03/13/2009

Gracewood Enterprises Inc.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

10/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I made an appointment with ** and gave him my address. He called to confirmed then was a total no show.
I understand a company not wanting to take a client or just no having time to give an estimate; however I totally cannot understand a business that does not respect the time of others. I made an appointment with **'s **** ********* & ******** and spoke with **. I texted him all my information and he called to confirm then was a totally no show. When I called to find out what happen, he did not respond to calls at from my cell phone at all. I then called from my cell phone and he answered and said he could not find my address and decided not to take the appointment. He then just ended the call. He had no respect for the fact I waited on him and thought he would perform the services we agreed upon. Do not trust this business.

An explanation for the lack of service.

Almost all my appointments are made by phone.This one appears to have been made by email. As such I didnt log it in my call log.I also checked my proposal forms.No record of any contract was found.I dont believe I ever met with ** ***** ** I apologize for any harm caused. If she desires I will make another try. Sincerely **

09/10/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

THE PROPOSAL WAS TO REPLACE VARIOUS ROTTEN WOOD FACIA, SOFFIT, TRIM AND DOOR JAM. CAULK AND PAINT. ON MY SECOND INSPECTION OF THE WORK COMPLETED, I NOTICE A CORNER TRIM BOARD HIDDEN BY A DOWNSPOUT AND A QUARTER ROUND TRIM ALONG THE SOFFIT HAD NOT BEEN REPLACED. WHEN I CALLED I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD BE OUT TO LOOK AT IT. IT HAS NOW BEEN OVER 2 MONTHS AND NO ONE HAS COME TO FIX THIS.

COME OUT AND REPLACE THE ROTTEN 1X3 UNDER THE DOWNSPOUT AND PUT A NEW PIECE OF 1/4 ROUND ALONG THE SOFFIT. CAULK AND PAINT

Will take care of it next week.Thanks for the reminder.

This issue has been settled. The work was completed last week. I answered the complaint on 08/27/13. Thanks

11/05/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Inability to properly perform repairs on the window (leak)and tile floor(grout) plus refusal to honor contract when contacted.
Gracewood repaired a window leak and the drywall that was damaged due to this leak on 6.16.2012. In addition, some floor grout repairs were done at two locations on my house for a total of $170.00. A few days later and after some rainy days I noticed the leak again and some more drywall damage. Also, the grout work that was done didn't hold at all. I called Gracewood on 6.29, 7.30, 8.28, and 10.05. I finally spoke with the owner ****** ****** on 10.05 and I asked him to stop by house to inspect the repairs that were done by his employees. He told me and quote "Once you pay me the job is completed". The phone conversation ended right after he made this statement.

I'm requesting a full refund of $170.00 for failure to honor his work, lack of costumer service, lack of quality and courtesy.

Please note that the work was done as per contract,then inspected by the customer,only then was money paid.We completed the assigned work. The customer left messages weeks later.Each time we attempted to contact him and set up a follow-up.We sent our workers out but were unable to get in. Finally I was able to talk to him personally only to find out that he had replaced the window.Obviously his window was faulty!It had nothing to do with our work.He was trying to get me to redo my work because of his bad window.The grout was a minor repair.There is always some flaking along the edges as the grout dries.This is normal and easily cleaned up.Initially he just wanted us to do some minor touch up repair.Now this has evolved to a complete refund.We stand by our work as evidenced by our A+ rating.But we do not yield to attempts to try and cheat us! We did the work.It was inspected.We got paid only after total satisfaction by the customer.What happened after that had nothing to do with us.

09/03/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

********** promised quality work. the work quality was horrible and he refused to provide proper insurance when I questioned unsafe employees onsite
I contracted with Mr ******** to complete painting and other issues with my home in repair. his company was untimely and all of the work they preformed was poor quality. I invited Mr ******** to my home to see the work and he said himself it was poor and he would make it right. I asked him to provide proof of insurance because his employees were not safe on site and I feared thy may get hurt on my property. he would not do that and waived a document across my face as if to satisfy my request. he is unprofessional and I have picture and proof of poor workmanship he is not willing to come and even fix the work he halfway finished and says I am hard to please. well all he need to do is provide proof of liability insurance and I will gladly allow him on site to repair his crew even left a 20" ladder propped up on my house for two day and he said it was a simple mistake the work they have done is poor quality and I want my deposit back - he refuses to comply so I have hired legal help to resolve.

below is an email i typed to Mr. ******* -

** - see my points below. I think you have contradicted yourself and remember it is not my job to manage your staff - either appoint someone to represent you well or represent yourself. You failed on your end and you admitted that yourself.

#1 - Because you caused me to question your safety standards - especially with the OSHA Rules and employee safety - I requested your liability certificate to be on my private property working. There is nothing "unethical or unprofessional" about that! In fact it is very professional and more than ethical. You are the one that decided I do not need to ask for that.

#2 - I told you I was unhappy and you even fired a worker based on my feedback - you never came to check on the work.

#3 - Why would it take your staff of three two weeks to do what was done? That is unfortunate - lt should have been done in less than 7 business day max. you pay for unproductivity and poor work

#4 - I have invited you back to finish painting but your workmanship is less than acceptable and because this has been proved by you and your staff I do not wish yall to do anything else to my home. It's too risky and I cannot take that chance.

#5 - I tried to meet you middle ground and you do not accept and will not forward your liability umbrella certificate.

You have been uncooperative and I have pictures and video to prove - if you'd like to go ahead and offer me half my deposit back I will settle and sign off your liability further
Otherwise I will take you to court and then you can explain to the judge your work ethic and philosophy.

You have until 5 p today to let me know what you intend to do.

Thank you!

new comments
Mr********* refused to provide liability coverage and waived a document in my face as if to satisfy my request for request not- his crew is totally not qualified to do quality work and I have lots of pictures to prove it

I want my deposit back and I will walk away and not hold him liable for repair to the screens and exterior paint

My workers were at the house of R.L.for 8 days.We were working according to a signed contract. A deposit was given and we began work. There was constant contact with my foreman on the job and ****. AT NO TIME while we were working was there any discussion about poor work or we would have stopped immediately! There was never any request or mention of insurance until after we were asked to leave the job. The only issue was some ladder left against the house and that the work was not completed. We were still working on the job! It became clear to me that **** was devising a scheme to sue my insurance company. I stand ready to defend my workers and the work. ****.owes me money for the work that we did complete. The BBB can verify that I have both Workers Comp. and Liability Ins. Nice try but my workers stand ready to testify that what I have stated are the facts. ****. please send me the $450.00 that you owe me!

This gentleman still will not respond as to the quality of his work and the unfinished work. I have retained an attorney and they will contact Mr. *******. As far as what the role of Better Business Bureau what are your steps to rectify or are you just collected comments of banter between two parties?

Sorry we could not resolve this. You still owe me $450.00 which I will seek to collect when we go to mediation. ***

07/03/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My mother hired Gracewood Ent. To repair rotted windows. There work was unacceptable the credit card was overcharged by $400.
I am writing this to make others aware of the nightmare my family has just gone through. Recently we hired Gracewood Enterprises (** *******) for some general wood work around a window in our home. The home is currently under contract so we've been doing different fix up jobs on behalf of the new homeowners. I've never had a worse experience dealing with an individual. I really don't know where to begin explaining his incompetence, his inability to produce receipts, the unacceptable product and a proposal (Not a contract) that ** ******* charged $400 more than authorized to a credit card.
Well the ineptitude started after ** ******* quoted a job where he would be repairing some wood rot and trim around a living room window. After his reassurance of keeping the window resemblance similar to the adjacent windows and completing a quality job he asked for a check for $500 up front for materials (Our first mistake where he is still unable to provide receipts). He was given the check, left and then never returned to observe, check on his staff or approve the completed product. Upon completion by his staff the window looked nothing like the others and the bottom portion which use to open was covered and now inoperable. Without viewing the many before and after pictures it's difficult to explain how horrible, with no similarity this looked. ** ******* never checked on the job, attempt to remedy the mess or work anything out to make the job presentable. ** ******* main concern was to get the remainder of his money and move on. With that said after the $500 up front (Did I say that was our first mistake) and a proposal that said $900 ** ******* charged $1300 to the credit card without permission for the additional $400. After a conference call with ** ******* and the credit card company the unauthorized $400 was disputed and ** ******* was unable to walk off with that too. ** ******* then showed up unannounced at the house (unlike when his staff was working or to check the completed version) demanding $1000. We don't know where the $1000 number came from and he was told the credit card company was in the process of disbursing him the $900 and we had no control of when that would happen. Again he was asked for receipts for the $500 up front where he said "I have them" and then indicated the $500 was a deposit. ** ******* keeps changing his confusing story as this would have only left $400 plus materials. When it was suggested that this is not what was discussed or on the proposal he became verbally aggressive demanding money and was asked to leave. The local law enforcement agency was made aware of the situation where they suggested calling if he returns back to the property and a trespass ******* could be executed on ** *******.
After dealing with all this we then needed to have the job by Gracewood enterprises completely redone as it now would not pass *** home inspection. Our family went on to hire a competent contractor who pointed out how the wood rot was still present and just covered up to conceal it; daylight was also visible through unsealed openings in the frame (pictures were taken before and after by the real estate agent). It was also in the opinion of the competent contractor and only an opinion that at very most $200 in wood was used (maybe this is why we still haven't received receipts). I would just like people to know Gracewood Enterprises and ** ******* did an atrocious job at our home, he was very disrespectful, angry and oblivious of the difference between a job proposal and an actual signed contract.

We would like the $500 returned since it was for materials and will not provide any receipts. My elderly mother will never hire a contractor again until speaking with family first. This complaint is mainly to warn everyone about Gracewood Enterprises. We know how ** is we don't expect him to stand behind his company or refund anything.

Thank you BBB for the opportunity to respond and clarify.I value greatly my A+ standing with your business. As always,I am ready for mediation,face to face with my customers This desire still stands.Unfortunately,the person here making the complaint is not my customer! He was not involved in any of my dealings with ****** Not before after or upon completion.Because he is a third party and only got his information from ******after the job was completed,there are many inaccuracies in his story. It is difficult to understand if he was so concerned,why didn't he speak up during the several days we were working. However I will try to respond to his concerns.About the material cost .He couldn't know but because this was to be a fine cabinet grade finish,we used clear pine 1 x 8 x 8'. We used 10 @ 36.00 ea. There also was paint, caulk nails,screws plus as per the contract,a fee to pick up and deliver. No additional money was given nor requested,until the job was completed to her satisfaction. The scope of the job was changed after one day when we opened up the surface wood to find much more rot than was observed at first. We made ******aware from the beginning that the ideal answer was to change out the windows.She did not want to do this.We designed a cabinet type finish which would cover up the frames.******was happy with that.It wasn't ideal but it was what she agreed to. I told her there would be addition ** cost in labor material and painting.She verbally agreed to all this. Upon completion she gave me her c.c # and I told her the amount for labor $1300.00. She agreed to this or she would not have given me her card #! The trouble started when days later her son got involved.He persuaded her against what we had spent 50 man hours completing! She then reversed her credit card payment without telling me! So now I have all this time invested with "0" money. We eventually mediated through her c.c company. I went to her house to finalize the agreement. I ended up agreeing to a reduced labor cost of $900.00 thus the $400.00 charge back mentioned in the complaint.This was not an overcharge but an agreed loss for me! I stand ready to discuss this with anyone anytime. Hope this helps. A.P.

** the only thing you have right is it's useless to talk to you. You are so blinded by your constantly changing stories.You don't even know what's real anymore. Once again ** both of THE REALTORS(buying and selling agents) came to the home and said your work was unacceptable. **, THE REALTORS came to the home and said your work was unacceptable. not me!!!GOT IT!! or do you need it spelled out for you?
How come you keep saying my mother was happy with your work? She's not and never was. Also **, you never address the fact the job was never really completed. Rotted wood was left in the windows, openings were left unsealed,etc. Remember ** you never inspected the job!! That shows how much you really care.
You keep saying I wasn't there from the beginning..So what, it doesn't change the quality of the job or the charges to her c.c., or you aggressive attitude trying to collect yet a different amount.
** now to address the fees again... When my mother called so very upset over the unauthorized charge all I said was to dispute the $400 and the $900 needed to be paid as per the "proposal". Do you understand? Does that need to be spelled out also? **, just the unauthorized charge, **, get the story right...YOU said I should be ashamed... **************************************************************************
** as for the receipts we will keep a copy of this correspondence in case we need it when she files next year. ** we new you couldn't provide receipts for the materials. We just wanted you to admit it. ** this experience no matter how hard it was for my mother has made her stronger and more aware of people like you. A.C.

My response stands. You were never there.All your comments are hearsay. This case is resolved. A.P.

Painting Contractors, Screen Repair, Pressure Washing, Home Theater, Doors, Cabinet Maker, Handyman Services, Kitchen Cabinet Refacing, Wallpaper Removing, Home Improvements, Floor Laying, Refinishing & Resurfacing, Carpenters, Kitchen and Bath Remodeling