Sunshine Glass, Inc.

03/20/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

We were told the glass we bought would be more durable than what we already had in place in our home, and it turned out to be more fragile.
We went to the local showroom of this company looking to replace glass panes we had in the doors of our cabinets at our home. We had an issue with the glass that was already installed cracking at the points of securement on the doors. We explained this to the sales representative, and she expressed surprise we were having that issue, and said: "you shouldn't have that problem with the thicker glass." With her reassuarnce, we agreed to purchase several panes of decorative water style glass for the cabinets. The glass took well over a month to be ready for pickup, and when it finally was, we took it home and replaced the existing glass panes with the new ones. To our dismay, many days after installation, the new, thicker glass cracked in SEVERAL MORE places than the original pieces we had! When I called the business to complain January 15th, 2014 I was told "I dont know why you were told that wouldn't happen, all glass cracks." I explained I would not have purchased the expensive, thicker glass if I had not been assured it would perform better. I was then told she would look into it and call me back, and to date, a month later, I have heard nothing. I am very dissatisfied with the order process time, service, sales techniques, follow up and product of this experience.

A refund of the cracked panes is requested. Photos of the damage can be supplied, along with the dimensions for an accurate refund amount.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience and the bad experience that the customer had with our company. However, we are a very reputable company that has been in business for over 20 years and actually get our clients from word of mouth. It saddens us that such measures were taken. We had the chance to speak with our sales representative regarding this matter. The representative never mentioned that the glass was going to be "more durable" than the existing glass the customer had. Our rep might have mentioned it would be slightly thicker but that is all. Cabinet glass always comes in two thicknesses and that is 1/8" and 5/32" and the customer received a 5/32" Water Glass, which is slightly thicker than 1/8" but not by much. We all here have multiple years of experience in the glazing industry and glass from experience, does not matter which type does indeed break. We will never guarantee to our customers that glass will not break because YES it will be misleading. We have never had a problem arise like this in the history of this company being open. All we did was provide the customer with the glass and they took it home to install themselves. We never saw the doors and how the glass was secured in the door. We did come to an assumption after this complaint was issued that the installation application is why they kept breaking, I am not sure of the application of installation because like I mentioned we have never seen it before but it seems to us that it is putting pressure on the edges and corners of the glass, which in the glass industry it is the weakest point of any glass. Their old glass in the doors had the same problem. Tighten any type of clips or pins will stress the glass and cause breakage. I will not lie and say that the glass did not take a while because yes it did however, the customer was kept abreast of the situation regarding lead time and I believe that the vendor was out of this glass themselves causing a delay on our end. We try our very best to keep every customer aware of lead times and changes made to their shipment. I understand the customer called and placed a complaint on January 15th 2014, which should have been brought to management's attention, however it possibly had gotten misplaced. It was never our intention to ignore or mislead a customer. On the contrary we try to address the situation right away to avoid instances such as this one.
Again, We truly apologize for this inconvenience. We never intended to mislead a customer and let alone have a unsatisfied customer. We strive to achieve good customer service every time.
Unfortunately I can not provide a full refund of the glass because once glass is cut to custom sizes it is close to impossible to resale. We will be more than happy to provide them with NEW glass at a discounted price and we will install the new glass at no charge and we will try to determine why the glass keeps breaking inside the doors.

My husband has been a kitchen cabinet installer for over ten years, and has installed countless glass in cabinet doors without one single report of breakage. Installation is not the issue. It dismays me that the company would respond to my complaint by stating I was not provided assurance by the sales rep, who absolutely stated "you should not have a problem with the thicker glass." Those words are the reason we made the purchase. We will absolutely NOT pay one penny more for replacement glass. The offer of a discount after the experience we had is insulting. The only acceptable outcome is a refund of the broken panes, or, a replacement at no charge. Additionally, the company stated we were kept informed of the delays during the order. I do not consider my repeated calls to inquire as to the status to be "keeping me informed."

Since the customer's husband has been a cabinet installer for over 10 years, he should know that cabinet glass is very delicate and should always be handled with care when installing. He should also know that cabinet glass usually comes in the thicknesses of 1/8"-5/32" and there is no such thing as a glass that is more "durable" in that sense. Also, the glass that was purchased has a wavy texture so depending upon installing it could have caused it to be unbalanced within the door and caused the breakage. However, we still feel that the installing is the cause for the problem of the breakage and IF the sales rep indicated that it "should not" break she was giving the customer reassurance from her experience because we have never had a problem before.We are not in any way trying to demean her husband in his line of profession but our company has served over thousands of Cabinet Installers/Contractors that do the same work within the 20 years we've been in business and we have never had a complaint such as this with glass for cabinets. We will be unable to provide the customer a refund for $208.21.We can find another resolution that will work for both parties.
The glass went out of our premises without any breakage or damage and it was accepted by the customer at pick up. This is truly out of our control we can not say how the glass broke or what caused it to break.

Glass - Plate and Window, Glass - Repair, Windows & Doors - Installation & Service, Shower Doors & Enclosures, Screens - Door & Window, Doors - Commercial