Central Florida

BBB Accredited Business since 07/26/2002

Wallace Air Conditioning & Heating, Inc.

11/05/2012Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: Wallace was called to repair a leaking AC unit. A torch repair was done on part of the cooling coil to repair leaks, unit was declared fixed. No mention was made of extensive corrosion to the rest of the coil or that the coil was covered under an extended warranty. I was billed to drain freon and recharge system, along with diagnostic fees and repair fees. total $773.50In my opinion the coil should have been replaced under warranty at this point and not had band aids put on a detereorating coil The second leak occurred 5 months later and I was told that it would be an additional $800 to drain and recharge the system as well as replace the warranted part, along with additional diagnostic and repair feesIn addition to Wallace I had a second AC company come and look at the unit. They said "these problems do not occur overnight and that the corrosion should have been evident during the first repair" it was implied that any repair made 5 months ago would have been short lived fix.I feel like I am being charged multiple diagnostic fees along with unnecessary draining and recharging of my AC unit. Whether this is being done knowingly or because of incompetance I do not know.
Product_Or_Service: Trane Ac repair/warranty work
Account_Number: invoice #96331

Mr. ****** purchased a Trane Air Conditioning System from us in 2006, which was installed on May 5, 2006. At the time of purchase, he was offered the option of a Trane Extended Warranty, which would cover parts and labor. He declined the Extended Warranty offered from Trane. We also have a Preventative Maintenance Service Plan, which gives discounts on repairs. He also chose not to purchase the Service Plan.

On May 15, 2012, Mr. ****** called for service, stating that the unit wasn't working. Our technician went out and performed a diagnostic, and found a refrigerant leak in the hot gas line. The line is a copper refrigerant line, not the aluminum coil. The refrigerant leak could be repaired and Mr. ****** authorized the repair in the amount of $773.50. The majority of the cost of that repair was for the cost of the refrigerant itself. This is the recommended procedure from the Trane Company. (letter from Trane can be faxed to you if you like, send me your fax).

On Oct 5, 2012, Mr. ****** called and said his unit wasn't working. Again, our technician went out and performed a diagnostic, and this time found that the condensing coil was leaking in the aluminum coil. This is a non-repairable situation, and informed the homeowners that the coil would be covered under the factory warranty by Trane,. They were also informed that the labor, materials, freight and refrigerant would not be covered. Mr. ****** gave permission to order the coil.

When the coil arrived at our office, my staff proceeded to schedule a time to replace the coil. It was brought to my attention that Mr. ****** was very upset over the cost, and my staff asked if he could be given a 15% discount on the repair. I authorized the discount. He was charged for the diagnostic fee of $89.00, however we discounted the diagnostic to $39.00. When we arrived on the scheduled date to change out the condensing coil, Mr. ****** informed our staff that he didn't want it and therefore, we returned the coil to Trane. He stated that his wife was good friends with the owner of another air conditioning company who said they would have just ordered another coil back in May of 2012.

Had Mr. ****** purchased the Trane Extended Warranty in '06, at time of his installation, most of his parts, labor and refrigerant would have been covered. Had he purchased the Preventative Maintenance Service Plan, he would have received a 20% discount on any repairs. He chose neither of these options. Out of a courtesy, we extended to him a $50.00 discount on his diagnostic charge, as well as a 15% discount on the repair itself. I have been in business for many years, and no one is in business for free. I cant' run a business when people want repairs done for free on a unit that is over six years old. I felt I was very fair, as the new problem had nothing to do with the original repair, which was five months earlier and still holding the repair. The failure occurred on a totally different area altogether. I did contact Mr. ****** and asked if I could sit down with him to explain Trane's policy on this situation, however he did not want to discuss this.

I find it very disturbing that a customer would ask us to defraud another company. If in fact we replaced a coil that was not leaking back in May of 2012, it would have been committing fraud against the Trane Company. We wouldn't defraud Trane nor would we do that to a customer. We pride ourselves in running a very honest business.

Also Mr. ****** stated he had the work done under the warranty, in fact the coil was in warranty and he paid the other company to to the work for about the same cost we told him it would cost, I did talk to the other company's owner and he stated to me that their policy is to repair the copper line and only replace the coil if the coil itself is leaking.

Thank you for your interest in this matter.
****** ** ******, President

I appreciate the hard times Mr ****** is describing. I also understand that an extended warranty and or service contract would have helped cover some or all of the associated costs with my repair(s). My question to him is "would the quality of service be any better if I had?" I hope not.
****** Air was hired to diagnose and repair an AC issue. Also, ****** Air has been used annually to maintain this unit. At no point during the repair in May was I told my unit had a severely corroded cooling coil. At no point was I given any option on how to proceed with repairs or maintenance knowing the condition of the coil. I paid the professional to MAINTAIN AND DIAGNOSE any issues with my unit and to keep me aware of any issues. ****** Air did not do this in my opinion. I had another firm look at the unit and they agreed that the damage to the coil was something that should have been addressed during the repair in May. I find it hard to believe Mr ****** would defend a repair that requires much of the same labor and materials only 4 1/2 months later.
I paid the ****** Air to diagnose and maintain my AC unit and continue to feel that they failed to do the job.

****** ******

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company provided proper verification that indicated there was no obligation to resolve the issues of the complaint.

Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating & Air Conditioning, Heating Contractors