BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/1997

Armstrong Air & Heating

04/14/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

The company scams the customer into buying a new AC unit when it isn't necessary.
I have never had a problem with my AC unit. The past few days my AC wasn't cooling like it should. We have a Rheem AC unit that is 15 years old. So I contacted Armstrong Air to service it. An AC repairman came to my home on 5/5/16. He looked at the coils and said this unit is old and you need a new AC. He refused to put Freon in it saying it will make the unit work harder and my electric bill would go up. He made a comment that our electric bill was already high due to the old unit, but my husband corrected him and said no our electric bill is cheap, only $100 a month. The repairman looked shocked. The repairman was simply convinced we need a new unit and said they run between $5000-$6000. He did absolutely nothing and charged us $85.00 for a 15 minute visit. He said the sales Department will be calling us on 4/6/16 to discuss the new unit. After the repairman left my neighbor came over who has worked in the AC business for 20 years and said the Armstrong company is ripping us off. They are trying to get money from us. So I called the office at*************, left a message and a oncall dispatcher at ************ returned my call. We reported a complaint and said we wanted someone else to come back to our house and at least put freon in the unit. We complained that the repairman ripped us off trying to get us to pay for a new unit. The dispatcher called me back at 9:15pm and verified she reported the complaint to the office and someone would call me on 4/6/16 about it. On 4/6/16 my husband and I tried between 8:00am-11:15am to get through to the main office at ************ but the line was constantly busy. Finally at 11:20am I was able to speak to a receptionist but she said no-one was in the office, so I left a voice message for someone to call me. I then called the dispatcher at 407-398-9639. She said she didn't go on call until 6:30pm that night, but she verified again that she had sent all the information to the office and they would be contacting me. As of 4/7/16 I have never received a call from Armstrong. Since my home was so hot I got a 2nd opinion from ********** They said my unit could go another 4 years. They checked everything, no leaks, put 2 pounds of Freon in the unit, cleaned to coils and replaced a small part that was only $100.00. They cleaned the coils and checked for leaks and never charged me. I'm very disappointed with Armstrong and it's a company I feel you simply can't trust.

I want a refund for the $85.00 I paid. They spent 15 minutes at my home convincing me I need a new AC unit. I believe they saw 2 new cars in my driveway and assumed we could afford to buy a new unit. My husband is up in age and we felt helpless. They obviously take advantage of people like us in our situation. I see companies like this on Channel 2, 6, 9 & 13 news all the time. There is nothing they can say to me now after leaving 3 messages with no return call that will fix my situation. I want my money back.

Contact Name and Title: Tom Hyatt Sales Manager
Contact Phone: 407-877-8090
Contact Email: thyatt@armstrongairinc.com
********,
I apologize upfront for your dissatisfied experience with our service department. We strongly believe however that repairing your unit was not the best option based on many gathered facts. The age of the system and the condition of your evaporator coil primarily. In Florida the average life expectancy of a comfort system is 10-12 years. Some longer, some less. Your system is over 15 years old, way past its life expectancy. In addition, your system is operating with the old R22 refrigerant which is being phased out and is another strong indicator combined with age of system to evaluate replacement over repair. In addition your system is sealed and should not need not refrigerant if it does not have a leak. You had 2lbs of R22 added and had the coil cleaned. Cleaning a coil 15 years old and knowing you have a refrigerant leak is never the best option and not recommended by most hvac professionals. This process may introduce moisture into the system which could therefore contaminate the system and possibly make the leak worse. Our intentions were to save you money and heartache down the road by helping you properly navigate the best options for your situation. The facts remain. You have several major problems. Firstly, the age of your system. Secondly, you have a refrigerant leak that now may be exacerbated by cleaning the coil. Finally your old R22 refrigerant that is being phased out, will be substantially more money out of pocket in upkeep and repairs. Your unit has nothing more than a band aid and no reputable contractor can promise you any expected life as you have been told now another four years.
In summary your accusations of Armstrong Air & Heating were not accurate, were highly malicious in nature and not a very truthful account based on the information we have and what you gave us from your neighbor and another company. All we charged you was an $85.00 service charge and we delivered our recommendations. Our recommendations are backed by industry leaders that have also documented when is the time to replace verses repair. I stand by our technician's diagnosis in his evaluation to advise you to replace verses repair. I will be more than happy to provide you with written documentation from third party sources to back and validate our recommendations. This kind of information is accessible from the internet by doing simple Google searches. We provide comfort with peace of mind as our highest priority. When your system hits the peak of the cooling season here shortly, you are still limping along a 15 year old system with older parts all susceptible to failure and a major refrigerant leak. Not recommended at all by 99% of reputable ac companies like Armstrong. We don't like our customers to be without air. Based on what you have provided us with the very likely hood that you will be without air is probably sooner than later. Please feel free to contact me directly at Armstrong Air & Heating. My name is Tom Hyatt and I am the director of Residential Sales and Marketing.

02/17/2014Problems with Product / Service

Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Heating & Air Conditioning - Filters, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air Conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating & Air Conditioning, Plumbing - Contractor, Plumbers, Mechanical Contractors, Heating Contractors