BBB Accredited Business since 11/19/2002

Performance Property Mgmt, Inc.

05/26/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Security Deposit California Civil Code Section 1950.5 / Subsection (l) of Section 1950.5
I've recently vacated property 1219 W Spruce Ave. managed by: Performance Property Management. I submitted a Notice of Intent to Vacate facilitated by the Performance Property Management Website: www.performancerents.com. The form allows a section for my new forwarding address for any forms they need to send. In that space provided I gave Performance Property Management my new address : 670 W Sample Ave. Fresno, Ca. 93704. The secretaries in the office are now being extremely rude, and on behalf of the company "Performance Property Management" will now refuse to refund the security deposit after the 21 day expiration date. Explination from the individuals cites that they mailed the estimate out to an unknown forwarding address. I had clearly stated when I returned the keys on 18APR14, that my new forwarding address is stated as above when once again asked by the secretary on this day. Today 12May14 I called the office and was told that an estimate was mailed out to the 1219 W Spruce Ave. address which is the property I vacated on 19APR14. Also they stated that they mailed it on 05MAY14, chancing that I would recieve the estimate just in the nick of time before the 21 day expiration. Once again with that being said the forwarding address I provided them was ignored. I then visited the office today 19APR14 and requested a copy of the estimate they claimed to have mailed out. I was greeted and helped in an uncivil manner; and with no cordial reciprocation. The form I was given was not a copy but a print out that stated the form was mailed on the provided date. I asked for a copy, not a fabricated form. Also, when taking a closer look at the form provided, incredibly my forwarding address just so happened to be in black and white clear as a bell on this form provided. All I'm asking for is responsibility for the remiss, and to do the right thing and refund the deposit. Is this good business? I was a great tenant. Please help. Thank you.

I am requesting that the security deposit be refunded. The property was in better shape when I moved in. Not to mention there was mold in the bathroom they asked me to clean for a discount when I initially moved in.

1. Tenant submitted complaint stating that our company willfully withheld her security deposit (disposition). She stated that she provided our office with her forwarding address for future correspondence on her Notice to Vacate. However, in the area of her Notice to Vacate where it requests a forwarding address, she wrote "unknown" and signed the Notice to Vacate, (copy provided - Exhibit A).
2. Tenant vacated the premises on 04/18/2014. There was an extensive amount of work to be completed. It appeared that we wouldn't have all of the vendor's invoices in to complete the Security Deposit Disposition within the 3 week period, as prescribed by California Civil Code 1950.5 (g). Therefore, our company provided a written estimate of charges in accordance to California Civil Code 1950.5 (g). Additionally, the same (Civil Code) states that the Landlord MUST send the Security Deposit Disposition to the address of the rental unit from which the tenant moved, if no forwarding address was provided to Landlord (copy provided - Exhibit B). That's exactly what we did, as proven by the returned mail that was received by our office today and dated with the attempted delivery date of 05/06/14 (copy provided - Exhibit C).
3. The tenant came into our office yesterday demanding her Security Deposit (Disposition). Our Accounting Manager opened the computer file, updated her address and hand delivered it to the tenant. (copy provided - Exhibit D)
4. There was no wrong-doing by our company. We prepared the tenant's Security Deposit Disposition in accordance to California Civil Code.

Property Management