BBB Accredited Business since 01/23/2008

Hedrick's Collision Center, Inc.

12/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Took to preferred bodyshop and they killed the rear window computer,and for me to pay for it ($850).
(this is only a portion of the story, since there is a 4000 characters)
On 11/5/14 morning, I drove the car to work and attempted to make the rear window roll down and nothing works. The rear defrost, window, wiper, and unable to lock the rear door (whether it was by remote or manually using a key). Now I™m just furious and sorry for taking my car there in the first place. I emailed **** and ***** (Manager) about the issue I had, and the reply was that it™s a Toyota Service Bulletin and I would have to take it in myself and pay the diagnostic. Thought to myself that this is unfair, the rear door was locking, rear defrost, rear window, rear wipers were working (just bought new rear wipers and I even have the receipt to prove it) but now it™s dead after taking it to them.
I called and reached ****** and he mentioned that the rear wiper was working . I replied, “it never worked since I got it back.” He advised me to take it in for them to look at it again.
I got there at Hedrick™s Collison, **** mentioned that Geico may deny the supplement because he™s seen it before and that the GAME PLAN was to play hard with them make them pay for it. I told him, that it was working before I brought it in. **** mentioned that Hedricks™s Collison will NOT pay for anything since it was not they™re fault. I left the car there for their techs to look at it again.

On 11/6/14, I got a call from Geico™s Supervisor, ******** He mentioned that Geico will not pay for it since there was no tangible evidence that the rear window, lock, defrost was cause by the vandalism. I told him that the rear door was working and had showed it to **** (Geico™s adjuster) and that I just bought brand new rear wiper (which was working prior to me bringing in the car to Hedricks™ Collision). ******* mentioned to me that “Are they trying to cover up?” I told him “Yea, sounds like it because they ruined the rear computer and they don™t want to pay for it.”

I called **** back and argued with him that the car™s rear window, defrost, etc was working and that their tech somehow shorted or ruined it because there™s a brand new wiper in the rear wiper. In his email that he wrote to me, he mentioned that all they can offer is for me to buy the computer multiplex ($280) which is the cause of it and they will install it for FREE (of course they would install it for free they™re one who ruined it in the first place). I replied back to him to give me the cost and part#. He then changes his story and tells me that Hedrick™s Collison can no longer buy it and install because it™s a Toyota Services Bulletin. **** of course new the final cost to repair it and didn™t want to swallow it so he gave me the Toyota dealer to the side of the bodyshop and told me to talk to ***** **** gave sent me an email that it would cost about $850s!!! I was willing pay the $280 not pay $850, especially it™s not my fault. By this time there was no email exchanges, because **** and ***** knew they were at fault and didn™t want to be liable for anything so they made phone calls.

This whole situation has been unfair and the owner of the bodyshop needs to know how their employee lies and make customer feel like it™s their fault. ****** who is the manager should have stepped in and taken control of the situation instead of letting **** (an estimator) to handle the situation and escalating to this level.

I have all emails and recorded conversations if needed. I will be sending this to the business owner, **** and etc. This shop is unfair.

repair rear ecu and motor to working condition again.

Response:

Our technician did not work near the read ECM (Electronic Control Module) which is what operates the rear electronics on the liftgate. We only replaced the lock cylinder. We let the customer know the items were not working, which seemed to be no problem at that time. The customer contacted Geico ********* and Geico found out through Toyota that there was a service bulletin issued on this very problem, but the customer is out of the warranty period. We feel that we did not lie to the customer or cause the problem. We did offer the customer our labor at no charge to install the failed part and we will still offer that.

***** ******* - Dealer Principal
Hedrick's Chevrolet
Direct: ************
Fax: ************

Thank you for the reply. The failed part for the car is the computer multiplex and the window motor. Your estimator ****, initially wrote to me in e-mail that it could be installed, then the second e-mail said that he couldn't no longer install and that it is a TOYOTA dealer who needs to install. I called him and he mentioned that Toyota may need reprogram the window. I then called the phone he provided and talked to the **** at Toyota Bingham about the cost and labor. I also talked to a toyota tech and the tech doesn't have a clue what **** meant by re-programming the computer multiplex to the car's ecu. Either he is lying or just lacking in knowledge.

Thank you for your response. We have done all we can do,

The owner of Hedrick's Collision needs to really look at their customer service and that their employees can be at fault.

Auto Body Repair & Painting