Central & South Alabama

BBB Accredited Business since 11/01/1970

Herzing University

10/24/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I completed the nursing program, but I was delayed another 3 weeks to register for the license exam, while others were called in a timely manner.
I met all graduation requirements on 9/5/13, and I advised the nursing director/dean of education, **********, of this the same day. I immediately requested an appointment with ******** so that I could register for the Nclex exam. (Note, in previous graduating classes, individual appointments were not required. All students were registered in the classroom at the same time.) I was told by ******** that I would be contacted in 2 weeks. At the beginning of the 2nd week, I called and emailed ******** again to request an appointment. I received no response from ********. Three days later, I received a phone call from the department secretary, **************, who informed me that ******** was out sick. She scheduled an appointment for the following week (9/25/13). My displeasure stems from the fact that I am being forced to wait for unknown reasons while some of my classmates have already taken the exam. How is this fair? I explained in my email to ******** that I had an employer waiting for me to take the exam so I could accept a full time position with their facility. I grew tired of waiting for a response so I took the initiative to contact the AL Board of Nursing and register myself, as well as pay the fees that were supposed to be covered by Herzing University. I would like to be reimbursed. I have spent $27,000 on my education, and this is how alumni are treated?

All I want is to be reimbursed for the $348.00 that was spent to register for the Nclex exam and temporary permit, and I want my transcript.

Complaint Case # ********
BBB Member: Herzing University - Birmingham Campus
Replying on behalf of Herzing University:************* - Campus President

Complainant student was scheduled to complete her nursing program on August 28, 2013. Student had not completed her final course on that date and was given a grade of "Incomplete" and additionally was given two weeks to successfully complete her course. Herzing University was notified on Thursday, September 12th that complainant had successfully completed the course and her passing grade was posted to her transcript on that date.

As a normal practice (and as required by the Alabama Board of Nursing), official transcripts must be sent to the Alabama Board of Nursing for review before anyone is allowed to take the licensing test for Registered Nurse. Unfortunately, our Director of Nursing was sick and was unable to work from Tuesday, September 17th - Tuesday, September 24th. Complainant's transcripts were sent to the Alabama Board of Nursing.

The cost of taking the licensing test is included in our student's tuition which Herzing University pays at the time transcripts are sent to the Alabama Board of Nursing and students are cleared for testing. Complainant contacted the Alabama Board of Nursing and paid for her test ($338.50) out of her own pocket on Tuesday, September 17th. Complainant later that week asked to be reimbursed since the charges were included in her tuition. Complainant was told to turn in her receipts to Herzing University. Complainant brought her receipts to the campus on September 25th and a check has been issued for $338.50. Messages have been left for Ms.******** to either come by the campus to pick up her check or to receive by mail.

I have been reimbursed for all fees paid, and my transcript has been released. I am pleased with the resolution.

Replying on behalf of Herzing University:************* - Campus President

Herzing University has reviewed thoroughly and a check was issued to the complainant on 9/25/2013. At this time Herzing University has met the request of the complainant and considers the case closed and. Attempts to reach complainant (email, phone and voice mail) have been unsuccessful. We wish the complainant the best of luck in pursuing a career in nursing.

Schools - Academic - Colleges & Universities