In Central & South Alabama

Alabama Media Group

66 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 24 closed in last 12 months

07/23/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor promised refunds, exchanges, or credit

Complaint: We moved across town and submitted a change of address form. They did not have service across town and will not issue refund.
We moved across town and submitted a change of address form. They accepted it and said they would start at our new address at the agreed time. After two weeks we did not get a paper. We called and they said they did not deliver in our new area and would issue a refund for the remainder of the year. They didn't and we called back and they said it would be issued by 7-16-14. They didn't.

they issued us credit. thanks.

07/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor refund, exchange or credit policies

Complaint: Without permission or explaination, the B'ham News withdrew $49.53 from my account. When asked to refund, told 21 business days. Been 31 and nothing.
My husband and I applied to receive the Birmingham News 3 days/week for $12.50/month with 1 month free at supermarket on 4/19. I gave my debit card to withdraw $12.50. On 4/22, the Birmingham News withdrew $12.50 from my checking account. On 4/30, Birmingham News withdrew $49.53 from my checking account without any explanition. I called on 5/2 when I found the withdrawl and spoke with ***** and asked for a refund. Also, I told them to put on my account to never withdraw money from my account again and they do not have my permission to go into my account ever again. ***** said she had spoken to accounting and it would be 21 business days for me to get a refund. I called on 6/6 because it had been 25 business days and I had not received my refund and I spoke with ****** because ***** was at lunch. She said she wanted to speak with ***** and accounting and she would call me back before she left at 3:00. I called ****** at 2:30; the man in accounting had left early that day and wouldn't be back until Sunday. ****** said she would call on Sunday when I gave her permission to call me at home. She never called Sunday and she did not call me on Monday. I called 6/9 and spoke to *****. She said she and ****** had spoken. ***** watched ****** send an email that morning to accounting to see what was going on with my refund and where in the process it was. I called 6/13 and spoke to ***** again. She said she had not heard anything from accounting and she had been looking for something from them every day. Today is day 31 and I have not received a refund in the mail. It seems ***** or ****** cannot get an answer from accounting as to where in the process my refund is or when it will be processed. This amount of $49.53 may not seem like a lot of money, but to me it is. The worst part is the Birmingham News going into my checking account without any explaination and removing my hard earned money without permission. They had permission to remove $12.50, not $49.53. Had I not checked my account, I would have never known it was taken out. I never received a bill, a notice, a receit, or anything saying they were going to or had taken the money from my account. It was as if the account was theirs and they could do with it as they please. I want my money back. If I thought I could get all of my money back I would cancel my subscription with them and never take the paper again.

I called The Birmingham News today and asked to speak with ******* I wanted to see if they had received my fax from June 23. Someone else answered the phone and said she was busy, but ***** said she would speak with me and she was the one who had called. I had not received a phone call or a message. I was calling to keep up to date on the progress. I was transfered to ***** and she informed me that my money was being refunded. She was not sure if it would be a check or a direct deposit, but the full amount of $49.53 was being refunded. A check would take 7-10 business days by mail, but a direct deposit should not take that long. This refund had been decided on June 25. I thanked her and ****** for working with me and apologized for my anger, but money being taken from my account without permission was not acceptable. When I got off of the phone, I checked my bank account and the full amonunt of $49.53 had been direct deposited into my account today. After spending 45 days dealing with them, I am glad to get this monkey off of my back.

Thank you for your time and efforts with this refund. I appreciate your help.

05/05/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Non-delivery of products

Complaint: Never received my newspapers; contacted them multiple times; was repeatedly promised the problem would be fixed but it hasn't been.
At the beginning of the year, I placed an order online for a season long subscription of Wednesday newspapers to be delivered to my apartment. Several weeks in I had not received a single newspaper, and I had been charged twice for a single subscription. I contacted customer service, and I received a reply email promising that the delivery issue would be fixed and I would be refunded one subscription amount. I did receive a check a couple weeks later, but, I never received any newspapers. I talked to customer service on the phone, once, and I emailed them twice, several weeks apart. I have checked my mail box, and gotten up early to see if anyone was taking my papers, but they were not delivered at all. The ************ *** *** and *** are all able to find my apartment, so I assume it is not a delivery problem. When I spoke to customer service I confirmed that the address was correct. I am at the end of the subscription period and Alabama Media has had the audacity to send me fliers in the mail asking for me to renew my subscription, and to have call centers call me asking for a renewal. They obviously have the capability to find my apartment and contact me, yet I have heard anything since January when I received my refund check. I tried to log in online, but it says that my address is not in the system, meaning that I do not have any subscriber access, despite paying for it. I would like a complete refund of the full subscription amount.

Mr. ********** was called 3 times, each leaving a message to return my call. I advised Mr. ********** that his refund was processed on Jan. 21st for 19.50

04/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: I do not subscribe to The Birmingham News yet weekly continue to have various publications thrown in my drive way ("Extra", "Yes" and "The Birmingham News"). I have left over half a dozen voice messages for Supervisor,**********, at ************ to have deliveries of any type left at my home. It is a total waste of paper, killing trees and added trash.Although I, along with several other individuals I know, have left repeated voice mail requests, deliveries have not ceased. As I went out before daylight this morning to put outgoing mail in my mailbox, there lies a totally saturated, nasty, wet newspaper.

Today ********* address was removed from the **********, and the ** and carrier notified to no longer deliver to her address. I tried to contact********** by phone but could not get an answer.

we will monitor her address going forward to ensure delivery has stopped.

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
After a couple of dozen phone call request made by me and notification from you, hopefully this matter is resolved.

Many Thanks

03/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor a contract or agreement

Complaint: BREACH OF CONTRACT:Failure to deliver product as agreed upon on days specified in contract agreement.With prior payment having been made to ********
Agreement was made in Dec. of 2013 with salesman. to procure Sun.Wed.and Friday papers delivered to home residence in ************** This for wife and myself to be able to enjoy the mornings setting on porch in our rockers drinking coffee reading M/PR. not only DID we not get said papers, we were further insulted when upon I called and complained of NONDELIVERY we were BILLED for said paper for which payment had been made.Assurances were given to me by customer service that this would be corrected. This was not to happen, also, I was to not get paid for papers for weekends as we desired.Time passed and I called again, stated I wanted this conversation to be recorded so as to let Cir.Mgr hear just how disgusted with M/PR I was. We have lived here for 22 years and have had only limited success with the contract delivery carriers.I have even moved our paper box to a mail box type post in an effort to facilitate getting our paper we so desperately wished for. I was informed that this matter would be directed to the Cir. Mgr.,TO NO AVAIL. No call back or contact of any kind in order to achieve resolution to this extremely frustrating problem. I even threatened to be there in the early morning in order to confront and demand that we either get the papers as we had paid for or get our money refunded. NEITHER OF WHICH was to happen. I again called customer service and was told that the Regional Circulation Mgr. would be told of this problem and to hold on. He answered my call , I related our utter and complete frustration and disgust with the whole AL.COM family and to see just how long we had been dealing with this. This has been rocking along off and on since 2010 and I am now TOTALLY over this Paper and all of their Staff and Carriers and would never ever subscribe to this paper again for as long as I live here or DIE!!!. I am so over trying to get them to honor this contract. I then get a guess what- a free paper every Sunday for 12 weeks.(which was also not to happen) AND!!You guessed IT,another bill. Not the refund I was told I would promptly get by Mgmnt. and further this would be further checked into and I would get a follow up call,Which was not to happen as of this date. So this is the score 1 contract, 2 bills , 1 freebee for 12 weeks, No call back no explanation no nothin!!! BUT A WHOLE HEAP OF DISGUSTING TREATMENT AND NO PAPER!!!!!! All this and the numerous times My wife called and was rudely told she should call on the days of delivery so as to get our paper,WHICH WAS NOT TO HAPPEN, nor was it to ever happen apparently this company LOVES to contract with the public but only deliver empty promises

Today I spoke to ********** about his concerns with the ****** Press, his concerns were valid and I assured him we would work to get better,
I also processed a refund check for him and had it overnight to his address.
We also offered him a free month subscription that he can call in anytime to redeem.

Complaint Resolution: Company offered a partial (less than 100%) settlement which the consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB.

10/16/2013Delivery Issues