Griffin Automotive Repair, LLC

2 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

12/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Repairs that were improperly done on October 28, 2914 resulted in a traffic accident on October 29, 2014.
2005 BMW 330 I had repair work done by griffin automotive on October 28, 2014. The repair work consisted of replacing rocker arms and hubs so a front end alignment could be completed. I provided the parts for the work to be done. The car was picked up on October 28, 2014 and driven to my home approximately 4 miles away. The following morning I drove the car approximately 8 miles on interstate 59 north Atthe academy drive mile marker the car began to make anoise like I was having a flat tire and wheel would not turn. I began yo slow down and was rear ended by an 18 wheeler. A police report was taken which I have. The tow truck was called to yow the car back to griffin automotive, as it was being loaded we noticed the bottom panel under the car was dragging. I followed the tow truck to griffin automotive. The owner was very rude and stated he would look at the car when it was unloaded. I explained to him what happened and he said he would look at the car and call me. I called him at 4:30 that afternoon and he said that the clips broke that holds up the panel. I asked him if he had to remove the panel to do the repair work that he did on the day prior. He stated he did. But he said the clips broke due to age. I disagrees and told him there was a possibility it was not put back on properly. He said no. He never once asked if I was injured in the wreck and he seemed agitated with me. My father picked up the car that evening and drove it home the 4 miles. The next morning I got in the car to try and drive it. I immediately noticed the steering wheel column was off centered and the car made a rubbing noise when the wheel was turned to the right. I spent 280.00 on the repairs performed by griffin automotive on October 28, 2914. I also had to pay a towing fee bill and I still do not have a car that is drivable due to the accident on October 29 2014. The 18 wheelers insurance company should pay for the damage to the rear end of the car. However, I am concerned about what further damage that griffin automotive May do to my car if I take it back. I am unable to determine if the damage I gave now is due to the wreck or from something they did after the wreck. I feel due to their negligent repairs that is why the car stopped on the interstate resulting in me being rear ended by the 18 wheeler. I did ask for griffin automotive to pay for the tow truck and the owner refused.

I feel that due to carelessness and negligent repair, griffin automotive should refund me the 280.00 plus pay for the tow truck expense. I will also speak with great west insurance co, that is the 18 wheelers insurance co and make them aware of the negligence of the repairs in the event they want to seek compensation. I also feel that griffin automotive should pay for the repairs that are now going to be necessary concerning the steering column and the grinding sound when the steering wheel is turned to the right. Also I am having to seek other transportation due to lacking a drivable vehicle. I want to take the car to a certified mechanic so it can be fixed properly and should be reimbursed by griffin automotive for the costs associated.

Came in on 10/17/14 for a alignment. Could not align due to having worn parts in front end. Lower control arms were bad. Also had hub bearing making noise on the test drive. Gave an estimate for new parts and labor. Customer declined and asked if her father got the parts used would we put them on. Gave her a estimate of 440.00 to install used supplied parts and align car. her father dropped off used parts on 10/27/14. There was damage to the used parts(ball joint boots were torn, bushing were cracked and race missing from one of the hubs) and this was showed to the father and the father said it would be ok and wanted us to install them. 10/28/14 car was dropped off. Parts were installed and car aligned. Customer was informed throughout the course of the day that the parts being installed were not in good working order due to normal wear. Mother and father picked up car and was asking about credit on the ticket from first time. Told them that was only good for 7 days and they were gone for 11 day. But they were given a 160.00 off to help her out. The 35.00 from the first alignment that was not able to be done and tech took less labor to help out. On 10/29/14 car came in on a wrecker. customer and father came in and wanted immediate service in front of other customers that were standing at the counter. After seeing everyone was ok and seemed uninjured and that the car was in working order I told them to get the wrecker to unload car and we would be out to look at it when I got through writing these other people up. Went to look and the father was being loud and drawing attention. Just told them we would look at it and call them. Went back inside. Pulled car inside to find the front cover pins were pulled out and some were broken. unknown if the car hit something on the road or they just failed. If we had put on wrong or broken the pins the cover would have fallen off before the car left not in 15 to 20 miles, car was test driven 1-3 miles by technician and driven off lot by her father with no issue prior to this. We replaced the broken pins and re installed the cover. Mother and father picked up car. Again the father got loud and drawing attention. Tried to talk to him but it just got increasingly worse. Gave them the keys, calmly asked them to leave the premises, and walked away. On 11/17/14 an unknown man came in with Mrs. ******, man asked for me and I went to talk to him and he was out in front of building. He started yelling and being loud and making threats to me and my employees. Tried to talk to him but it just got increasingly worse. Finley they left and Police were notified and report was made. We turned all video and sound over to the police and we are waiting. We can not get any more detailed at this time.

On the resolution.

We used the used parts that were supplied by the customer and all original parts that were on the car that had to be removed to replace the customer supplied parts. Everything was installed in the correct position with the correct level of torque/tightness. Nothing was done in the shop to have caused the wreck. There was no carelessness or negligent work done. the cover came down due to a failure of an original part or contact with something on the road knocking it a loose. In her attempt at trying to change lanes and stopping in the middle of the road caused the wreck. The complaint that the vehicle was unable to steer is false because no damage was done to any steering components and the aforementioned guard cannot inhibit the car from steering. Also, the complaint of the car steering to the right is a direct product of putting worn parts from a salvage yard onto the vehicle. Mrs. ****** and her father both made serious claims that the parts were in good order off a vehicle with no damage to the front or those parts. The parts replaced/supplied cannot be tested on a non moving vehicle or inspected for defect before being correctly installed on a vehicle so they had no knowledge of the condition of their parts until they were informed by the technician and the control arms that were supplied were specifically the cause for the steering to be off center. No other repairs, adjustments, or modifications were done to the vehicle other than replacement of the identified worn/bad front end parts with the customer supplied, equally worn used front end parts. Mrs. ****** was also informed that any parts brought to us by her were subject to no warranty whatsoever on parts or labor and she assumed all responsible for them. we are grateful that she is a expert in this field and can make the insurance company for the car that hit her aware of the negligence of the repair done.

10/08/2014Problems with Product / Service