BBB Accredited Business since 01/04/1991

Action Roofing & Siding Limited

02/05/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Hired to replace roof of house + garage after hail storm. Work commenced on a Saturday andbegan on garage. Communication breakdown, crew did not remove old roof felt as asked. Went over top of it. Shingle lines not straight, one side had an extra course making ridge cap off center.

Work on house commenced. Crew was asked to wrap ridges with roof felt. The crew had terminated felt at each ridge. This meant running the roof felt in a vertical fasion on the ridge and laping over the edges. This is not unlike running running roof felt in a valley, except on an exterior corner.

The crew lead was defensive and questioned my knowledge. I called both my sales rep and the emergency line for the company but cold not contact anyone. In the end the crew pulled the deck armour material from uncompleted side over a shingled side and stapled it to the course. Not a propper procedure, not what I asked for. The roof had not been stripped clean. While putting shingles on, nails frequently pooped through the roof felt and were nailed down effectively puting holes in this material.

After completion I expressed my disatisfaction for the work completed resulting in an argument. On Monday I managed to contact the company, both sales and an individual who came out to check. I was told the items would be taken care of.

A warranty individual came out. What he did was remove two rows of shingles on the garage and replace with three allowing the ridge cap to center. Not enough rows removed to get a reasonable space (three rows in place of two are quite tight). Does not fix crooked rows.

To fix the ridges on both the garage and house, the ridge cap shingles were removed. A six inch wide piece of roof felt was stapled over the ridge. New ridge cap shingles were installed.

Being respectable, I payed for this in full. I want the roof the way I asked it to be done. What I requested was done by many (but not all) roofing companies working in the area making me envious of those home owners. It is not a building code but is a "best practises" approach. I chose Action Roofing rather than a fly by night company because I believed they could deliver this level of service

Contact Name and Title: ***** ***** Manager
Contact Email: **********************
Action Roofing did it's best, within reason, to satisfy the customer's requests. As he states his requests are not building code related but what he considers "best practices". I am unable to attest to what took place on site between the installer and the homeowner however I do know that we did return on a number of occasions to attempt to make corrections that we feel are sufficient to satisfy the homeowners requests. The way the roof was installed will not affect it's performance or warranty, either our installation warranty and/or the manufacturer's warranty. Roofing material and building vary in measurements and the number of courses per side of 2 roof planes may not be consistent. This is an aesthetic issue and not a performance issue. None of the requests made by the homeowner were discussed before a contract was signed, nor were they written into the contract. Given that we took the complaint, acted on the complaint and the invoice was paid in full we believe that we satisfied the home owner as no further requests were made nor was a hold back kept. The roof as installed exceeds ABC requirements, meets all manufacturer requirements and all commonly followed "best practices" in our opinion. In our opinion there will be no issues of leakage or product failure due to the way this roof was installed or repaired. We stand behind all of our installations and attempt to satisfy our customers within reason. I would be happy to meet on site to review the installation and discuss what if anything more could be done. Thanks.

It is a fact best practices were not mentioned in the contract. I falsely believed the company to follow them. That said, I asked the roofing crew to follow them to which they questioned what I knew about roofing. My family was involved in home building. I insulated in 1982, framed my first home in 1983. Poured concrete throughout the late 80's. Worked as an electrician through the late 90's. I have framed several homes, wired many more and have done my share of roofing! It is unfortunate the crews management could not be reached.

Please note following PDF instructions from GAF web on deck armor.***************************************************************************************************************

**** who came out from Action Roofing disagreed when I insisted the material goes over drip edge on the rake and must be done as such to comply with manufacturers instructions. As can be seen in the link, the armor (as with roof felt) goes under drip cap on rakes and over the drip edge on the eaves. This is basic roofing!! As for the actual warranty man who came out, unfortunately I was not home to deal with the house repair. I did manage to be on the garage where I did not like what he was doing and he explained the house was the same. I aslo had him remove the ridge cap he placed on the garage. It was put on so the "open end" of the ridge cap was exposed to the North. Not such a good idea, especially if there was no secondary roof protection on the ridge.

***** is welcome to come and inspect. Not much to see, its all burried! I'm sure the company will stand behind the warranty, but I am not pleased. This rates up there with all the garbage construction going on and the ill trained trades persons.

We followed best practices as we interpret them. There are many diverse opinions and I appreciate your extensive construction background and respect your opinions as to the installation of roofing. We have installed 10,000's of roofs and we too know what will and won't be an issue with regards to performance. You say the crews management was unreachable, which I have to disagree with. Your estimator (****), the site supervisor ******* and myself (*****) are all available either at our office number, cell numbers provided to you, as well as the contact information on the contract you signed. Had you called me directly I would have and still are happy to go over an issues you have. Your statement regarding how the underlayment is to be installed with regards to the drip is confusing. you say you insisted the drip go over the drip at the rake ends (which is incorrect), and then state that the drip is to be under the drip at the rakes and over the drip edge at the eaves (which is correct) and is how we install these items. So I am not sure what you are meaning here. It used to be that ridge cap was installed so that the open end did not face North however with the new adhesive technology this is unnecessary and not a requirement of the manufacturer as they will warrant against wind damage regardless of the direction the ridge is installed. As well the ridge cap is installed to provide double coverage and triple coverage when the shingle below is included. There will be no issue with regards to this. In closing, we installed this roof correctly. It will not have any performance issues due to the way it was installed. We will stand by our installation warranty should in the unlikely event an issue due to installation arise. The manufacturer (GAF) of the products warrants the products against material defects, if there is an issue with any of the system products (if they don't meet the specification they were to be manufactured to) GAF will provide warranty coverage. The installation meets the requirements of the ABC, the manufacturer, and good roofing practices. I am disappointed you are unhappy. It sounds to me like we disagree on some small details many of which have already been corrected. We are confident that the overall roofing installation will provide lasting protection. Our promise is that we will be there for you in the event an issue arises with our installation, until such a time we will consider this matter closed as the entire invoice was paid in full with no issues raised or holdback kept. Thank YOu.

09/30/2013Problems with Product / Service