BBB Accredited Business since
BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.
This company provides a variety of repair and restoration services including: custom bathrooms, kitchens, cabinets, and carpentry, roof repair, gutter installation, welding & fabrication, masonry, brick & block wall repairs/modifications, doors, windows, decks, outbuildings, flooring and handicap building modifications.
Request a Quote
A BBB Accredited Business since
BBB has determined that Affordable Repair and Restoration Company meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.
BBB accreditation does not mean that the business' products or services have been evaluated or endorsed by BBB, or that BBB has made a determination as to the business' product quality or competency in performing services.
Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.
Factors that raised the rating for Affordable Repair and Restoration Company include:
- Length of time business has been operating.
- Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size.
- Response to 3 complaint(s) filed against business.
- Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business.
- BBB has sufficient background information on this business.
Industry Ratings Comparison
Customer Complaints Summary Read complaint details
|Complaint Type||Total Closed Complaints|
|Problems with Product/Service||2|
|Total Closed Complaints||3|
Customer Reviews Summary Read customer reviews
|Customer Experience||Total Customer Reviews|
|Total Customer Reviews||7|
Licensing, Bonding or Registration
This business is in an industry that may require professional licensing, bonding
or registration. BBB encourages you to check with the appropriate agency to be certain
any requirements are currently being met.
These agencies may include:
Idaho Contractors Registration Board
Idaho Bureau of Occupational License, Boise ID 83702
Phone Number: (208) 334-3233
Type of Entity
Business ManagementMr. Brad Taylor, Owner
CONTRACTORS-GENERAL HOME IMPROVEMENTS ROOFING CONTRACTORS HANDYMAN SERVICES KITCHEN REMODELING REMODELING SERVICES BATHROOM REMODELING
Hours of Operation
|Monday through Friday: 8AM-5PM|
Method(s) of PaymentCash, Check
Service AreaSoutheast Idaho
Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Summary
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
2184 Channing Way # 111
Idaho Falls, ID 83404 Directions
What is a BBB Business Review?
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.
About BBB Business Review Content & Services:
Some Better Business Bureaus offer additional content & services in BBB Business Reviews.
The additional content & services are typically regional in nature or, in some cases, a new product or service that is being tested prior to a more general release.
Not all enhanced content & services are available at all Better Business Bureaus.
Types of Complaints Handled by BBB
BBB handles the following types of complaints between businesses and their customers so long as they are not, or have not been, litigated:
- Advertising or Sales
- Billing or Collection
- Problems with Products or Services
- Guarantee or Warranty
We do not handle workplace disputes, discrimination claims or claims about the quality of health or legal services.
BBB Complaint Process
Your complaint will be forwarded to the business within two business days. The business will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the business's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 business days.
What is BBB Advertising Review?
BBB promotes truth in advertising by contacting advertisers whose claims conflict with the BBB Code of Advertising. These claims come to our attention from our internal review of advertising, consumer complaints and competitor challenges. BBB asks advertisers to prove their claims, change ads to make offers more clear to consumers, and remove misleading or deceptive statements.
What government actions does BBB report on?
BBB reports on known significant government actions involving business' marketplace conduct.
BBB Reporting Policy
As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.
BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy.
BBB business Reviews generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Business Reviews are subject to change at any time.
Complaint Trends - Last 3 Years
Customer Review Trends
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating Overview
BBB Customer Reviews Rating represents the customers opinions of the business. The Customer Review Rating is based on the number of positive, neutral and negative customer reviews posted that are calculated to produce a score.
|Customer Review Experience||Value|
|Positive Review||5 points per review|
|Neutral Review||3 points per review|
|Negative Review||1 point per review|
BBB letter grades represent the BBB's opinion of the business. The BBB grade is based on BBB file information about the business. In some cases, a business' grade may be lowered if the BBB does not have sufficient information about the business despite BBB requests for that information from the business.
BBB Letter Grade Scale
Star Rating scale
BBB Customer Review Rating plus BBB Rating is not a guarantee of a business' reliability or performance, and BBB recommends that consumers consider a business' BBB Rating and Customer Review Rating in addition to all other available information about the business. If the BBB Rating is NR then only Customer Reviews are used for the Star Rating.
Problems with Product/Service
Read Complaint Details
Complaint: I hired Brad Taylor approx. the first to mid December to come in and replace the pipes for my shower/tub and resurface tub, along with installing new fixtures. He said tub was unable to be resurfaced, so ended up purchasing a new one to install at same price quoted. Not a problem. After getting majority of work done, he told me to let him know when I was ready he would come and install new fixtures for tub area. No mention of any additional charges was mentioned. I was satisfied at this point with the work he had done.I then called him approx. 2 mos. later to let him know I was ready for him to come and install fixtures. His reply was that I was going to be charged an additional $65 for this work. This was never mentioned at any time during our conversations. I questioned him about this and he said he would have to look over the contract and get back to me. I have never seen or signed a contract with him, nor have I ever heard back from him since. Has been close to a month since our last conversation. I am very frustrated and disappointed with this conclusion. Have since had a friend come help install fixtures and now there is a 1/4" - 3/8" gap between the tub spout and the surround wall, due to the spout pipe protruding from the wall to far.
Desired Settlement: I am interested in seeing the contract he was referring to. Either showing proof the fixtures were not included in the estimate. If they were included I would like a $65 refund along with repairing the protruding pipe to be reset correctly.
Business Response: **** contacted the BBB directly to say that Brad Taylor showed up at her home over the weekend and fixed the issue she was having to her satisfaction. She said she is happy with the completed work and considers the issue resolved.
Better Business Bureau:
I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID *******, and find that this resolution is satisfactory to me.
BBB's Final Determination: Consumer accepted resolution offered by the business.
|12/12/2013||Guarantee/Warranty Issues | Complaint Details Unavailable|
Problems with Product/Service
Read Complaint Details
Complaint: We hired Affordable Repair & Restoration for a kitchen remodel and an addition to our home. The quality of the work is sub-par; I have a foundation that is uneven because the forms he used were poor quality. However the county inspection has been passed. When he and his workers would become about 90% he would demand payment for that portion of the remodel then never return to finish that portion.In the original interview we indicated we wanted drywall for our ceilings and walls of our doublewide, cabinets in the kitchen, tile installation, installation of appliances, light fixtures, furniture fixtures, closet in the master etc. However, when it came to doing the work he would label it extra then quote an outrageous price. Said he would build our cabinets, then said it would be too hard, then when we had the cabinets installed he advised us he was supposed to put them in claiming the reputable company had did the work wrong. When situations would arise that didnt go the way he anticipated he would then have temper tantrums in which during one he kicked a hole in one of the finished walls. The job originally scheduled for eight weeks however that did not occur. Things that would take other contractors days or even hours to do would take him weeks for example installing a sink garbage disposal or light switch covers. Each and every time a request was made he would argue the point. Not taking into consideration our wishes. Inevitably we ended up firing him. The poor work combined with the temper tantrums and his inability to tell the truth resulted in that decision. We were then forced to finish the job ourselves. Portions of which he had already demanded payment according to Mr. Taylor the inside of our home is done. It is not! He did call apologies and request to finish the job however we havent heard from him.This experience has been a far worse experience than it needed to be. We understand that any remodel is difficult but this has far exceeded difficult. His workers are knocking on our door complaining that he hasnt paid them. This continues to happen even now that he is gone and we are doing our own work.
Desired Settlement: The rating of this business reduced. Also any remaining monies owed on the contract forgiven in writing as none of the work has been completely finished. Also we have needed to go to additional expense to repair the work that was either unfinished or incomplete.
* The form for the foundation was properly fabricated but did wind up bowing about two inches on one side. We tried to correct it immediately and then were later able to repair it. *** never mentioned it to us that he had any kind of problem with this - I'm the one who brought it to his attention letting him know it would be fixed. He yelled and swore about the situation but it did get fixed. The foundation is level - that is why it passed inspection.
* My terms, which have not changed during my 42 year career, is that when each phase was completed, payment would be due. On days payment was asked for, a few hours of work may have been left in the phase but all work was completed 100% on the day payment was received.
* When we initially met, *** ****** stated he did NOT want me to do the ceilings. He told me he was not certain what he wanted to do. It was later in the project that he brought it up that he would like them done and he was given a bid for that work. He also asked that we do tile in the kitchen and laminate flooring in the dining room. Later on, he decided to change it to tile and he got a new bid based on the additional cost of materials. In fact, he was given an original bid for the remodel with no frills. Then I gave him a list of what he wanted to add on and he periodically added things on during the remodel. This also included doors, windows and siding upgraded from OSB to vinyl siding. It was explained to him that the add ons had additional costs based on materials and labor. Not only did he agree to the additional costs, he paid for them so I am confused as to why this is even an issue.
* I let him know that I would be more than happy to do the cabinet work. However, for me to make cabinets from scratch would be expensive and time consuming. I suggested he buy pre-fabricated cabinets to have installed. He ordered them and when the cabinets came in, they didn't fit because I was not consulted to provide proper measurements.
* There was a hole kicked into a wall. In *** ******** trailer, the electrical wiring was strung all through his walls. An entire finished wall had to be removed by me to assist the electrician. On that same day, the electrician was having a difficult time locating a wire and couldn't get to it. Knowing I had to replace these finished walls because there were so many holes from the electrician, I went ahead and kicked in the portion of the wall that wouldn't remove. I was not angry when this occurred, just trying to hurry the electrician along because he was subcontracted at an hourly rate that was not included in *** ******** bill. I didn't want *** ****** to have to pay for the slow progress by the electrician. You can ask any of my employees or past customers, I don't have a temper at all and I never raise my voice.
* The job was almost completely finished, with about 1 week or less to go, when *** ****** fired me from the job. This was a Friday. This was a very large remodel and before I started, I gave him an 8-week estimate and I was fired at the end of week 7. I did not go over my estimated time frame that he agreed to. I would have finished the job had he remembered our timeframe agreement and not fired me a week before schedule for going too slow.
* My employees have come to *** ******** home. Let me explain why: I was fired on a Friday and many of my tools (including an electrical box and a cement mixer) were left behind. Because they were in the safety of *** ******** backyard, I didn't go to pick them up until Monday. They were all missing. *** ****** denied taking them. I explained to my employees that due to the financial loss of these tools and my understanding that my employees must have taken it because *** ****** says he did not and implied that it must have been my employees, I won't be paying them until the tools are returned to me. My employees claim to have not stolen my tools and have been going to *** ******** home because that is where they were left for safe keeping. A report was filed with the Sherriff's Department regarding this incident.
* With the exception of minor finish work, I did the job completely and *** ****** paid exactly what I was owed for the work done. He owes nothing additional on the job, nor have I tried to bill him for it. However, if my tools do somehow return, I would like to have them back.
I appreciate *** ******** time and thank him for his business.
BBB's Final Determination: Business offered a resolution. Consumer did not pursue further with BBB and the matter was assumed to be resolved