My older sister is getting married in November and all I want is for everything to go smoothly on her wedding day. In fact, I want her wedding to be one of the most memorable, best days of her life. Planning for a wedding is hard and can be overwhelming, yet it’s essential for a successful event. Luckily, I found tips from Better Business Bureau on wedding planning. These tips will help your wedding go smoothly and help you avoid schemes.
When planning one of the most exciting occasions of your life it’s easy to feel that everyone has your best interest in mind. But any number of problems can ruin your perfect day. Anticipating the worst may seem gloomy, but it is better to prepare thoroughly to avoid problems. For example, a photographer may not show up, or you might buy a repaired dress with the impression that the dress is brand-new. In rare cases wedding services close without notice. In 2012 Cappella Court Gardens in Carrollton, TX, and Alexander Mansion in Garland, TX, closed without warning, leaving couples without a place for their wedding receptions. There was no way to reach the owner or get a response, and no refunds were issued.
BBB suggests that you first research the wedding services you will need. One way to do this is to ask for references from recent customers to make sure services were provided as promised.
A good way to find trustworthy businesses is to look up the service you need through bbb.org. You can check out any business you are considering. The BBB Business Review will include contact information, the BBB rating from A+ to F, the customer complaint record, if any, and more. You can also locate BBB Accredited Businesses near you by category. Comparison shop by getting information about the services along with the price quotes for several different businesses.
Make sure to thoroughly read each contract to prevent any future problems or misunderstandings. BBB has a checklist for you to follow when you’re ready to finalize an agreement with a vendor. Each contract should contain:
- All dates of services
- Start and finish times
- Promised services
- Details of all included services
- Cancellation charges and refund policies
- Overtime charges
BBB has a few more tips to make your wedding go smoothly:
- Consider paying with a credit card. If you have a problem that is not resolved by the merchant, you can dispute the charge on your credit card account. Check with your credit card bank to find out the conditions for disputing charges.
- Stay in contact with each vendor as your wedding day approaches.
- Leave extra time so you can make other arrangements if something isn’t working out.
- Consider purchasing wedding insurance. Check with your insurance agent on availability, costs, and terms and conditions.
- Consider consulting a wedding planner. A professional planner can help organize and smooth the way, and may be familiar with reliable wedding services.
If a complication arises remember “there are more bees with honey.” Keep your emotions in check, and if necessary ask for a refund. After you have exhausted everything in your power turn to BBB and file a complaint. BBB will contact the merchant and ask for a resolution.