Mother’s Day is Sunday and according to the National Retail Federation, total spending on moms is expected to reach $19.9 billion! Whether you show your appreciation for mom through a card, flowers or another special gift, your Better Business Bureau is urging consumers to shop with confidence by checking out a company with BBB first. It’s not uncommon for scammers to specifically target holiday shoppers, so proceed with caution to avoid falling victim to a Mother’s Day scam.
When finalizing gifts for mom, follow BBB’s tips to avoid a stressful shopping experience:
- When shopping online, verify the website’s legitimacy. Don’t trust unsolicited emails containing links to unknown shopping websites. Consumers should be wary of offers that look too good to be true, such as designer items or name-brand goods that are being sold at extreme discounts. Look out for spelling and grammatical errors that could be a giveaway that the website or person contacting you might not be legitimate. Before entering payment information, confirm that the website is secure and its URL begins with “https.”
- Do your homework. Before ordering flowers, jewelry or any other gifts for Mother’s Day, check out the company’s BBB business review at bbb.org. This is a great way to help prevent disappointment with a product or customer service.
- Allow time for shipping and delivery. Check with the retailer or website to be certain that you have allowed enough time for delivery. Make sure that this date is specified clearly and guaranteed when you order, especially last minute. If you order ahead of time, delivery and other charges may be less than last-minute or overnight shipping.
- Have a back-up plan. Make sure you understand the company’s guarantee. Find out how customer complaints are handled and what recourse you will have if the arrangement or product is not satisfactory. It’s best to use a credit card when ordering, because you can dispute charges if the vendor doesn’t come through.
- Make sure the business has your information. When it comes to flower or package delivery, there are times when delivery instructions need to be confirmed or a delivery driver needs additional directions. Making sure the company has a call-back phone number or your cell phone to help them make sure your mom gets what you expect.
Keep these tips in mind and spend your Mother’s Day celebrating with family, not tracking down missing gifts or funds. Visit bbb.org for more helpful tips and information.