For the most part, we think of a shipping company when it comes to moving furniture and other belongings. However, shipping a motorcycle is another option for getting a bike safely to a riding destination. When issues such as inclement weather prevent motorcycle riders from making the trip on their bikes, hiring a trustworthy company can be the solution.
When considering motorcycle-shipping services:
- Make sure to contract with a US Department of Transportation (DOT) licensed motorcycle transporter.
- Always ask any motorcycle shipper for their USDOT and Motor Carrier (MC) license numbers.
- Review the status of the motorcycle transporter on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website. The FMCSA website lists whether the status of a the motorcycle transport company is active and current and if it has active and current cargo insurance in addition to the cargo insurance policy coverage limits.
- Do not to pay a motorcycle transport company until you have verified their DOT and MC licenses and have spoken with them directly.
- Request a tracking number from the company.
- Check out the company’s BBB Business Review to see their rating, customer reviews and complaint history.
Watch Out for Online Reverse Auction Websites
There are a many unlicensed and uninsured motorcycle-shipping entities operating illegally and bidding on shipments, particularly through online reverse auction websites. Some reverse auction websites do not require motorcycle transporters to be DOT compliant to bid on shipments. The transport auction websites may not always help if you experience challenges with the motorcycle shipment.
Avoid Shipping Scams
Keep in mind that most motorcycle shipping scams involve companies that do not allow you to talk to their scheduling staff over the phone until you have paid for part or all of the shipment up-front.
Tells Us What You Think
Would you ever consider shipping a motorcycle or would you rather ride it?
For more information on motorcycle transport visit Shippingmasters.com or contact one of our motorcycle shipping professionals at toll free number 866-383-1307 or our local number 602-214-6967. You can also email us at email@example.com.