According to Worldwide ERC, it costs $12,23o for a full service professional move in which the moving company essentially handles the entire move for you. Some people cut the cost of a move by doing the whole thing themselves, if this isn’t a feasible option than professional movers are the best way to go. U.S News recently spoke to some professional movers who gave 8 tips on how to cut costs of an expensive process.
1. Unload what you don’t need. The weight of the load is a large determining factor in the price of the move, so make sure that you are only taking things that you want, or that will fit in your new space. Nobody wants to pay for things they won’t be able to use.
2. Time it right. Moving in the middle of the month is the least expensive time to move as movers are busiest in the beginning and end of the month as that is when leases are up.
3. Save on Boxes. Purchasing used and recycled boxes and pack small items yourself to reduce the amount of time the movers will have to spend packing.
4. Plan and Organize. Snap pictures of your new home and draw on them so the movers will know in advance where to put your items.
5. Cover your items. A benefit to using professional movers is that you can insure items. While this may cost extra, it will be well worth it in the long run if anything breaks. Before purchasing coverage from the movers, check and see if your items are covered under your homeowners insurance.
6. Snag a tax break. If you are moving due to a job change, you may be able to save money on some moving expenses. To see if you qualify check the IRS website or consult a tax expert.
7. Price it Out. When looking for a mover, make sure to get a quote from at least three different companies to compare prices.
8. Research the mover. Make sure that you are hiring a legitimate mover. Do research to make sure they are a licensed company with proper insurance and the resources to complete your move efficiently. Check with your local BBB to make sure that there are no complaints filed against a mover that you are researching.
To read the full article, visit http://realestate.msn.com/8-ways-to-trim-moving-costs.