IRS Says File Now to Get Money From 2008

tax refund 150x150 IRS Says File Now to Get Money From 2008Did you file a federal tax return for 2008? If you didn’t, the IRS may have your money. And if you don’t file before April 17, 2012, it will become the property of the U.S. Treasury.

A press release on the IRS website states that refunds of more than one billion dollars could be waiting for those who didn’t file for 2008. Again, the deadline is April 17, 2012. The average amount–$637. Hey, that’s quite a chunk of change these days.

Of course, there is no penalty for late filing when the government owes you money. So send your return, properly addressed, mailed, and postmarked by the deadline to receive some extra spending money.

Also according to the IRS, if you didn’t receive an economic stimulus payment in 2008, and didn’t file a federal tax return for that year, you could additionally qualify for a Recovery Rebate Credit.

And finally, the IRS says, many low-income and moderate-income workers may not have claimed their Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). To find out the income thresholds for the EITC and for more information on the late filing of returns, please visit

Related Posts:


About Holly Doering

Holly Doering has worked for the Better Business Bureau Serving Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and Montana for half a decade. Her areas of expertise include the CORE Values Program (Character, Optimism, Respect, Ethics) for Teens and Charity Review as well as writing and editing. Prior to that, she has written for two newspapers, a local magazine, and taught English at the community college. She is the proud author of a short story in ZYZZYVA literary magazine and has had good luck publishing lots of poetry. Each year she rolls up her sleeves and wades into the autumn Nanowrimo writing madness and has several unfinished novels to her credit.