If your home has suffered damage (even if minimal), it is recommended to start the claims process as soon as possible. You should also:
- Know that after you file a claim, your insurance company will likely arrange to send an adjuster out to investigate
- Check to make sure your policy covers hurricane damage and if so, what is the deductible?
- Take pictures if it’s safe to walk around the house
- Don’t throw any items away until the insurance adjuster sees them
- If the house is unsafe to stay in, save receipts from hotels, restaurants and other associated expenses.
Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/money/story/2011-08-29/Tips-for-filing-a-homeowners-claim-post-Irene/50177700/1