With many natural disasters and harsh weather happening, your BBB wanted to provide some tips on how to file an insurance claim. Taking a few immediate steps can significantly increase your ability to obtain a quick settlement from your carrier.
· If possible, photograph the exterior and interior of the premises, showing the damage.
· Immediately call your insurance agent to report your claim. The agent will prepare a Notice of Loss form and an adjuster will be assigned to assist you.
· Separate the damaged from the undamaged property, and put it in the best possible order for the adjuster’s examination. If reasonably possible, protect the property from further damage.
· Good records of your insured property can be of significant assistance to you and your adjuster. Use your inventory to work with the adjuster in presenting your claim.
· Damaged property which presents a health hazard or which may hamper local clean-up operations should be disposed of. Just be sure to adequately describe discarded items so that, when the adjuster examines your losses and your records, these articles are included in the documentation.
· Good records speed up settlement of your claim. Compile a room-by-room inventory of missing or damaged goods, and include manufacturer’s names, dates and places of purchases, and prices. Try to locate receipts or proofs of purchase, especially for major appliances, and note manufacturers’ names, serial numbers, prices, and dates of purchase.
To check out an insurance company go to www.bbb.org or call 877.267.5222.