In a matter as crucial as the security of your family and your home, consumers need to be especially careful in deciding on the type of alarm system to use and who will install it. BBB encourages consumers to follow these tips in finding the right home security system:
- Be wary of door-to-door alarm sales. Don't be pressured into buying something you don't want or need. A trustworthy company will let you check out the offer and compare bids from several installers.
- Check out the "free" alarm system offer. Many times salespersons will deceive consumers with a "free" offer. And while the equipment may be free, there is typically an installation charge and a monthly monitoring fee.
- Check licensing. Louisiana law requires any company who provides security services in the state to be properly licensed. Consult the Louisiana State Fire Marshall to check licensing requirements at www.lasfm.org or call 1-800-256-5452. The Louisiana State Fire Marshall licenses companies to provide any security or alarm services.
- Verify who will monitor your system. Ask if the same company you are signing a contract with will be the ones to monitor your system. If not, make sure you obtain the name, address and phone number of this company and review its BBB Business Review through www.bbb.org.
- Study the contract carefully. Confirm such information as; the installation price, monthly fee, length of contract, cancellation process and timeframe. Make sure the contract includes all information promised or agreed upon.