BBB Accredited Business since 03/01/2007

Western Pest Services

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 0 closed in last 12 months

08/20/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Upon completion of my annual termite inspection, **** ***** stated that he saw CARPENTER ANTS in a corner of the garage. It was my understanding that his recommendation was to have the gargage treated inside and outside. No mention was made about the rest of the house. He also recommended a chimney cap for my chimney. Note that I was not at home--my adult daughter relayed the information to me. I subsequently called **** to discuss the problem and to express my concern about the chemicals to be used. The cost was to be as follows:$365 for the treatment$150 for the Chimney capI agreed and secheduled a treatment for March 30th. Again, my adult daughter was at home when the treatment took place. The technician told her that he was there for a CARPENTER ANT treatment and subsequently treated the garage as was expected. He also entered my home and treated the bathrooms, attic and laundry room. Because I was not expecting the inside of my house to be treated, I called **** to ask the following:1. Why was the inside of my house treated? We had not discussed any area but the garage and I was quite concerned that the chemicals had been used inside. Was this a mistake? If not, why was it necessary to treat the inside of my home?2. Upon arriving home, I looked up at my chimney and saw, what looks to be, a cap. The technician had told my daughter that another person would be installing the cap and that they would call me before coming. Since it looks as though I already have a cap, I wanted to ask **** that if, in fact, there already is a cap on my chimney, what is it that he wants to install?I'm filing this complaint because my phone calls have not been returned. I think I'm entitled to an explanation.Thank you for your help in this matter.

I just want an explanation:1. Was the inside of my house treated in error? If not, why was it necessary? 2. Is what I see on top of my a chimney, if fact, a chimney cap? If so, what is it that he(****) wants to install?

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. We have asked our Divisional office for a response. Is there anyway we can get a phone number please?
************

I spoke with ******** today, and answered all her questions to her satisfaction identified in her complaint. She is satisfied now. We are scheduling a follow up appointment to renew her termite warranty program.

***************
Branch Manager
Western Pest Services
email: ***************************

07/30/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We hired Western Pest Services to remove bats from our attic and clean up the bat guano, which has great health risks (at that time I had a newborn and a 3 year old), in July 2011 for $1451 plus tax. Western claimed the work was completed in September of 2011. A few months later the bats returned. I called Western immediately. As seems to be the norm at Western, no one is ever in the office that that can help with anything besides taking a message. This has been almost as frustrating as the bats. I have to wait, sometimes days to get called back, and sometimes I don't get called back and have to keep calling them. This has been the process for the last 2 years! Phone call after phone call, Western finally shows up and claims the issue is resolved, then a couple of months later the bats are back. I would say there has been close to 10 attempts over the 2 years to resolve this issue. Also, each time the cleanup part of the job seems to get shorter and shorter which really worried me having 2 little ones. I feel 2 years is more than a reasonable amount of time and patience to wait for a resolution. How long should someone live with bats in their attic and the risks associated with? How many attempts can Western make? Is 5 years reasonable? 10? The health risks are just too great and my daughters are constantly waking up to screeching/scratching above their beds. This is no way to live for 2 months let alone 2 years. I no longer believe Western has the skill or the want to fix our problem. I have no understanding how a branch manager would allow for this to happen. I can only assume it's apathy. I contacted another company to come out and give an estimate. Their findings were astonishing. Bats in every corner of the attic and my worst fear, bat guano-saturated insulation. I would like a full refund from Western. It has now been over 2 weeks of un-returned phone calls from the branch manager in **************.
Product_Or_Service: Bat removal and cleanup

A full refund. $1451 plus tax.

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. We have asked our Divisional office for a response.We will update further.There will not be a case number.
************

Refund check was received on 7/29/13. I would like to thank the BBB for their help in resolving this matter.

Per ************l spoke to ********** and told her we would be refunding the 1451. She was very appreciative. Orkin was not successful in eliminating the bat situation.

04/30/2015Advertising / Sales Issues