BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/1971

Atlantic Relocation Systems

7 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

07/24/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Company was chosen to move our house and store our items between closings. Estimate by sales associate was calculated much too low, cost came in at almost twice the estimate. Move in date was agreed but not honored. Instead we were told the move date would have to be 3 days later. We had to inquire before being informed of this. We were told this was due to high move volume and nothing could be done. In actual fact an internal error caused this delay as was admitted on the phone later. Other than an apology no actions taken to remedy the situation. Had to run after the sales manager, no pro-active approach.Would never have chosen this company in hindsight. Low estimate to get the business, left with a much higher cost and late delivery.
Product_Or_Service: Residential house move

The final bill needs to be adjusted at an absolute minimum to reflect additional costs caused by late delivery.

Compensation for delay offered and accepted.
Complaint can be removed.

11/03/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My move was not completed and I was promised by the. Operations manager that he would work something out for me to get my move completed but did not..
On 9/8/2014 ARS movers did not complete my move the things that should have been on the truck were not put on such as a ladder, washer and dryer set and all glass pieces from my furniture and Christmas decorations. Things were left on the grounds outside the house. I had a mirror pack included in my move but the driver kept sending the glass back complaining that yes he had a mirror pack but did not have any materials to cover the glass with and he could not transport it without the proper materials and he would not take that responsibility. I had a large screen T V that I had the original packing for and I asked that it be transported in its original package and I was told that it was not needed. I still insisted that it be packaged to no avail. I am standing in the street begging the movers to put my ladder on the truck. Time and time again I asked and it was never put on. Then I became upset to tears and called and asked to speak to someone in charge I was given to the operations manager who had already spoken to the driver and asked if he could just complete the move. After I spoke to the operations manager he promised to work something out for my move to be completed to satisfaction if I would call him at 8 am the next day. I called him promptly. He said give him 15 minutes and he would call me back that he had a couple of drivers he needed to get out. Two hours past and I called back and I said I was calling to insure that you had the right number. He then repeated back to me the number on his caller ID and again said that he would give me a call back in a little bit. Well two more hours past and I called back this time he answered and promptly passed the phone to someone who knew nothing about my situation so the guy said to me that the manager was on the computer but he could send him a pop- up message to call me and he would see it immediately and call me back. that was 9/92014 and today I have never received a call or any help completing my move. This was a horrible move. This is my fourth move with this company and in the past things went great that is why I came back to them but this by far was worse than I ever could have imagined.I was left with almost half of my house to move in my car which incurred great expense for gas back and forth and 10 days rent to the new owner because I couldn't get my things out on time and the rental of a truck to remove the big items and pay someone to help move them. This is not what my move should have been. I have been disrespected and not given any consideration at all from a company who says they value their customers. I have been hung up on and passed around and talked to terribly. After waiting more than 15 days to get some satisfaction I e-mailed the company to tell them of my intentions and still no response I stopped payment on my check for unsatisfactory service.

I am seeking an apology and if not all at least half of my money back because of the extra expenses I incurred due to their negligence, inconsideration and lack of customer care. This has been quite stressful for me and I am hurt because of the way I have been treated. I had great confidence in ARS and did not expect a large company like them to treat a repeat customer as I was treated. This local move cost $2405.12 and it was not worth it.

I have spoken with this customer and have apologized for the poor service provided and have also discounted the price for this job at the customers request. This customer has stated to me
she is satisfied with our response to her complaint. Thank you. **** **********

Mr. *** ******** did all that he said in his response. I am satisfied with the outcome.

11/26/2014Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

It has been over 12 months since my move was packed in Atlanta we are still dealing with invoicing issues for services performed back in February of 2013. I attempted to confirm that we were completely settled about a month after my final "invoice" was generated and got no reply. At December 2013 I received a past due and collections notice from the Atlanta office regarding three invoices- two of which had been timely paid and the third has only as of two weeks ago been substantiated- after asking continuously since the original past due request was sent.Upon further discussion with **** ***** it seems they forgot to invoice us or forgot to actually provide us the invoice and the amount exceeded the two quotes provided by about $1,200! It is now too late to get the difference back from my husbands employer and we will be paying out of pocket due to Atlantic Relocations absolute incompetence. Typically the responses from **** have either been unhelpful and inflammatory or no response at all, clearly customer service and repeat business is of no interest to your company representatives.Add to all the above issues, Atlantic Relocation has been invoicing for on-going storage at an incorrect rate and owe us a credit, which if we had not pushed and pushed would likely have meant hundreds of dollars more that we would have paid unnecessarily. They have credited us for this small amount but I would request a refund for the 1200 we paid. Essentially, rather than put the stuff we had in storage at risk we decided we would pay and see if there was a way to get a credit back. We worked for months with Atlantic relocation on whether they would be flexible since this was completely their fault but got no where.Sincerely, ********* ****
Product_Or_Service: Move

Would like the 1200 we paid as a refund or credit toward storage. If nothing else people should be aware of the shady business practices and crappy customer service.

I have investigated the above and find the current charges to be correct. There were incorrect storage charges calculated at one point but these have been corrected and a credit for a portion of storage was issued. I apologize for the issues the shipper describes and would only note that the shipper was given an estimate based on estimated weight and services which increased when actuals were applied. Atlantic would be willing to discuss a credit for services or storage when the shipper is ready to move the items currently in storage.

Nothing about the timeliness of the invoicing was addressed above. There are two separate issues: 1- the incorrect weight being charged for on going storage 2- not invoicing me correctly for the move at the time of the move. Issue 1 has been corrected but only through laborious email exchanges and seems to be correct on-going. I made reference more to point out the continuous issues, lack of accountability internally and again general lack of customer service. Issue 2 -error was not discovered until 12 months after my move and went straight to collection accompanied with the threat of sending my storage items to auction if I did not pay up. It then took an additional six months just to get a reasonable description of the services included and why the first time I saw the invoice was so long after my move was finalized. The error seems to have resulted from a lack of communication internally, inefficient billing practices, and poor customer service. I had attempted to confirm that my move invoicing covered everything and was complete but received no response from Atlantic Relo at the time of said move.
I find it appalling that they are unable to provide a full customer account statement and most of the "invoices" do not actually have invoice number or dates in order to cover up the numerous internal issues they seem to be having.
From the online reviews on Yelp and other online forums this seems to be a constant issue that was no where to be found online when I was researching them originally. As such, consumers should be aware that this company has internal issues and should probably be avoided when considering movers.

I am sorry the customer is not happy with our reply to the inquiry. I have audited this file together with my accounting manager and all charges that have processed are correct and all credits promised have been applied. I apologize for the difficulties encountered during
Ms. ***** billing inquiry and can only say we corrected the charges questioned as soon as we became aware of them and have taken steps internally to prevent errors such as this in the future. Production of invoices are through our affiliated van line and sometimes this adds to the time it takes to invoice. With that being said I would be agreeable to a credit or reduction in charges upon delivery of the storage items or at termination of the storage agreement if items should be picked up here. Thank you.

08/26/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

Atlas Van Line and or Atlantic Relocation employees stole my possessions.
In July 2013 my husband and I contracted Atlas Van Lines to move our household to The Villages, Fl. They loaded our things into the van. We had them store our possessions for a length of almost 5 months while our home in Fl was being built.
Upon arrival, and as I later found out, after unpacking, some of our things didn't make it to Florida. I called Atlantic Relocation who stored our stuff, several times to find out the problem and they had no idea what happened to our things.
There were many valuable household items including 3 14k gold bracelets including a diamond one that was in a box that I specifically told ***a ( one of the movers) to leave it and I would put it in my car. In the turmoil of the move, it never made it to my car. I didn't notice it until I was in Florida. I was hoping that it was in storage with the rest of the furniture and boxes.
When we moved into the new house, I was beside myself. I couldn't find the box that the jewelry was in. There were also several other boxes that didn't make it. I called several times and they said they had no idea where these boxes were. I was amazed that they could lose that many boxes.
I am missing household items, clothes, and the jewelry. They seem like they could have cared less. They said they looked in the warehouse but couldn't find the boxes. BULL!!!.
I talked to **** ******** the warehouse manager, ***** ******,relocation specialist and a couple of women in Evansville, Indiana, who were in the claims department. This is where the headquarters are and they told me that they looked for my stuff in the warehouse, but couldn't find the rest of our things. So, I guess it all "fell off the truck."
The people at Atlas and at Atlantic Relocation are thieves and liars. They stole our things either right off the van or from the warehouse.
I guess when they see a box labeled with what they want, they just take it. This is the only explanation that I can think of regarding the disappearance of our belongings.
They wanted receipts for everything. But who keeps receipts for household things and for jewelry that I have had for years? I told them repeatedly that I wanted to come to Atlanta to help look for my things and they said it was against policy to let anyone in the warehouse. So, one of the employees took our things. And I have a good idea who took the jewelry. My mother gave me the diamond bracelet before she died, so it had alot of sentimental value to me.
As the box was marked with my name, "******'s bathroom and jewelry". *** was the one who had the box in her hands. I thought she was going to set it aside for me, but I think she took it to her car which was parked near the van or took it at the warehouse. The is an outrage and I will never get over this breach of trust that we had in this company. They hire thieves and liars. So without receipts, we had to settle for $2,000. After all, we gave them over $14,000 to take care of and protect our stuff. I will never get over the heartache and emotional distress that this company has inflicted on us. So.. my advice to you who are reading this, don't use Atlas Van Lines, if you ever want to see your possessions again.

Although it is to late as we signed an agreement to end the case, I just want my stuff back including my bracelets. But I'm sure it is long gone in the pawn shop or on someones wrist. I will gladly give back the $2,000. I JUST WANT MY BELONGINGS BACK!!!!!!!!

While it is unfortunate that Ms. ******* has claimed missing items there is some of the story that is not shared in her complaint. We did pack and store some of the customers possessions and had provided a quote for loading additional items
on a rental truck that they had provided and they would drive to destination. They canceled our crew and hired persons unknown to Atlantic Relocation to come into her home and load this rental truck. After several conversations I found that the shipper had asked if any of the crew knew anyone who would want to do the work at a lesser rate. The person "****" the shipper speaks of does not and has never worked for us. All of our crews are background checked and issued certification numbers and we are very much aware of who we put in a customers house. While I understand the shipper can hire whoever she wants to do the work this is unfortunately the possible result when these people are not vetted.It was after arriving in FL with the
rental unit the missing items were discovered. We worked closely with Ms. ******* to determine which items had been loaded to storage and which items where not in an attempt to locate these items. The missing items where not on our inventory and it was determined these items were not tendered to us for storage Be that as it may we performed two exhaustive searches of our warehouse for the described items even though we had no record of having received them with negative results. We did recognize that there was damage resulting from our moving of the storage items and did acknowledge and settle with Ms. ******* for these items. This has been thoroughly investigated both by Atlantic claims and Atlas claims departments due to the convoluted nature of the order and we stand by the final settlement the shipper accepted and full and final.

My reply line by line. Atlas did NOT provide a quote for an additional rental truck. Another lie from this company just ************** *****************. We rented the truck on our own from U Haul. I have the paperwork to prove it. And we did NOT cancel your crew. We did hire ******* and **** to help load the rental truck after they and the other unauthorized people loaded the Atlas Van from our house in Roswell. We rented the truck to haul our fragile antiques, china and other things. When they unloaded the rental truck to a small storage unit I had. ******* shook down my husband for more money than what was agreed on. I should has called the cops then.
As far as **** goes, she was there along with 4 other people to load our possessions from our home. They loaded our stuff so fast, we couldn't keep up with them. We had no idea if things were tagged or not. If **** (if that was her real name)didn't work for Atlas then why did she fill out some of the inventory sheets? The driver, ***** did not always fill out the inventory sheets. It was sure a sloppy deal. Is that why *****, the driver, was fired a week later? Because you found out he brought unauthorized people to our house to pack and load our stuff? People who are thieves and liars.
There was another man named ******* who helped pack and load our possessions too from Atlas. Was he really an employee of Atlas? His wife was also there to help. You people have no idea who works for you. Apparently you didn't know that these peo

It is regrettable that this customer had such a poor experience during their move but the fact remains that Atlantic Relocation did not load the rental truck and has no liability for the damage or missing items from that self move. There were cash laborers hired by the shipper that performed this work that were not a part of our company. We did settle with the customer for items damaged or missing from the move we did perform and this settlement has been accepted as full and final. We stand by our work and our processes and we are very sorry this customer was not please by our services.

Poor experience? Your ***************************** a poor experience. We are not talking about loading the rental truck. My possessions were stolen while they were loading the Atlas tractor trailer or after they got to the warehouse. When I hired the "employees" to load the U haul I was with them the whole time because I didn't have that much stuff go onto the U haul. Just several boxes and the one box that held some valuable items that your "employee" stole from me. It was either stolen at that time of at the warehouse. You yourself stated that she was not an employee of Atlas so than why did she fill out the manifest and we aren't even sure she did it correctly. There were no numbers corresponding to anything.
Cash laborers? Sure they were because they weren't employed by Atlas and we were told they were. That to me is fraud perpetrated by your company.
Why weren't we told they weren't employed by you? We certainly wouldn't have had them in our house. Sure we settled because we were tired of fooling with Atlas. We were getting nowhere with this company. All we got was the run around.
How can you stand by your work when you have people that are not employed by you go into other peoples homes and help themselves to our possessions? Disgraceful!!!! The one employee who was the driver of the Atlas Van just had some of his friends come with him to our house and have friends in your warehouse loot us. How can you people stay in business? Shame on you and your company. You can reply to this response all you want but I am done with your company. What I have said is the truth. You have no defense. You know you were in the wrong to send those people to my house.

04/22/2014Delivery Issues | Read Complaint Details

In March, 2013, I contacted Atlantics international manager, **** ****** about moving from Atlanta to the Netherlands. In June I contracted with Atlantic. The problem came when my belongings arrived in the NL, where Dutch customs held my belongings for over 30 days. As time passed, I contacted ******, who was not even aware of my situation. It finally came out that one of the ONLY requirements for free import of household to the NL was the move be made within one year of residency. This deadline was missed by 13 days. When asked why he didnt note this requirement, ***** stated he hadnt known I was in the NL prior to my move. When I produced emails explicitly stating I was living in the NL and that we had discussed my August, 2012 move there, *****then accused me of keeping my NL residency from him ON PURPOSE to avoid import tax. This was ridiculous, as no tax was due had my belongings arrived 13 days earlier. Obviously, to me, **** didnt know Dutch import law and was avoiding responsibility. Then, the day of customs clearance, ***** sent a new bill, saying that handling/storage during the delay required extra payment. I said the delay was caused by **** oversight. Atlantics website states:Our international relocation coordinators have 10 years of experience and a proven proficiency in managing moves that are free from any oversights that could cause delays Moreover, **** now required payment outside our contracts billing arrangement. When I contacted Atlantics GM, **********, ***** changed, now needing another payment authorization letter from my employer. This request was fine; however, the letter was required within 12 business HOURS. **** sent his request at 1 PM on Friday, requiring authorization before 5:00 PM on Monday. ***** told me if I wanted my belongings I had better get my employer to pay quickly. When I asked him why I was given one day he said the question was unimportant and I should "be working on my own behalf" to get Atlantic paid.
Product_Or_Service: international move from USA to NL
Order_Number: Invoice XXXXXXXX

Because of the impossible time-frame imposed by Atlantic, delivery of my goods was delayed further. Atlantic now refuses to return my emails. I would like Atlantic Relocation to reimburse the $500 storage and handling costs that was a result of their lack of knowledge and poor management of my move. I would also like an explanation as to why only 12 hours was given for an authorization letter, creating a further (personally painful) delay in the delivery of my belongings.

Contact Name and Title: **** **********
Contact Phone: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Contact Email: ***************@******************.com
We do apologize for the difficulties experienced by the customer. We do not take responsibility for the residency requirement that was not adhered to. The shipment was transported during the time frame specified and agreed to by the shipper. The shipper and the hiring employer are responsible for knowing and adhering to residency requirements for the country they are relocating to. We also did not demand payment prior to delivery we asked only for a letter of intent to pay of the employer and the only issue was that the person the letter would have normally come from was not available and another individual was called upon to provide the letter of intent and some time was lost. Be this as it may if the customer will provide legitimate records of additional costs incurred during this process I will discuss some level of compensation in an attempt at customer satisfaction.
**** **********

Hello,
I responded on the 18th of November, though my response is not registered on your website and now the case is closed. Please reopen this case, as I did respond. My response is below:

Several statements in Atlantic's response are untrue. Regarding "we also did not demand payment prior to delivery" is contrary to numerous emails from Atlantic's representative ********** threatening non-delivery of my household unless I paid him (directly) extra fees. In fact I contacted the *************************** as his actions amounted to holding my goods hostage. A complaint is still being processed at ***********'s offices. Next, the statement that the shipper is "not responsible for knowing" international shipping law is contradictory to what I was told when contracting with Atlantic. A simple perusal of their website shows this: "our specialized international crews have...certification& extensive knowledge of international shipping regulations...to ensure your shipments make it to your destination anywhere in the world without delay."
As my shipment was delayed 1 month because of Atlantic's lack of knowledge, I believe this serves as poor service and a break of contract. I would like a refund of extra costs incurred directly by Atlantic's poor handling of my move.

If the customer will contact me I will as I have stated before be happy to discuss this and attempt to reach an agreement on what can be done. I will certainly discuss some sort of financial reimbursement for her inconvenience and out of pocket expense.
***************
Atlantic Relocation

Before contacting BBB, I contacted Atlantic repeatedly, including direct phone calls and emails to ***************, the representative responding to this BBB complaint. I kept logs of each of these contact attempts. After Atlantic received payment from me, none of my emails or phone calls were returned by **********. Information he promised to provide me, needed by my company, was never supplied. While I am sure Mr. ********** now realizes I was serious about wanting to speak with him, I believe he and Atlantic have proved untrustworthy in regards to 1) taking my calls and 2) keeping promises. Moreover, I have been more than clear as to my wishes in resolving this case. I am not sure, then, what a phone call will do that cannot be done on this forum-besides providing an off the record conversation.

I received notification that this had been listed as unresolved. I have responded on more than one occasion that if the complainant contacted me I would attempt to reach a financial agreement as she had requested. I have not been contacted by the complainant at any time during the BBB process. I would state again I will attempt to reach resolution if this party will contact me.

As he requested, I contacted *************** of Atlantic Relocation Services on Tuesday, January 7th. In my communication I stated my name and the BBB complaint # so that there would be no confusion as to who was contacting him. Today is Friday, January 10th and I have not received any return communication from **********.

While he has stated several times on the BBB forum that he is willing to talk to me, this is the same manner in which he treated me before I contacted BBB--that is, Atlantic Relocation does not return communication from customers once they have been paid. I am still waiting for resolution, including a required letter to my employer and a $500 refund for Atlantic's mishandling of my move.

Hello,

Several statements in Atlantic's response are untrue. Regarding "we also did not demand payment prior to delivery" is contrary to numerous emails from Atlantic's representative ***** ***** threatening non-delivery of my household unless I paid him (directly) extra fees. In fact I contacted the US Transportation Authority as his actions amounted to holding my goods hostage. A complaint is still being processed at ***** ***** offices. Next, the statement that the shipper is "not responsible for knowing" international shipping law is contradictory to what I was told when contracting with Atlantic. A simple perusal of their website shows this: "our specialized international crews have...certification& extensive knowledge of international shipping regulations...to ensure your shipments make it to your destination anywhere in the world without delay."

***** *******
Atlantic Relocation

Before contacting BBB, I contacted Atlantic repeatedly, including direct phone calls and emails to ***** ******, the representative responding to this BBB complaint. I kept logs of each of these contact attempts. After Atlantic received payment from me, none of my emails or phone calls were returned by *******. Information he promised to provide me, needed by my company, was never supplied. While I am sure Mr. ******* now realizes I was serious about wanting to speak with him, I believe he and Atlantic have proved untrustworthy in regards to 1) taking my calls and 2) keeping promises. Moreover, I have been more than clear as to my wishes in resolving this case. I am not sure, then, what a phone call will do that cannot be done on this forum-besides providing an off the record conversation.

As he requested, I contacted ***** ***** of Atlantic Relocation Services on Tuesday, January 7th. In my communication I stated my name and the BBB complaint # so that there would be no confusion as to who was contacting him. Today is Friday, January 10th and I have not received any return communication from ********.

"We are sorry that Ms. ***** met with difficulties during her move that incurred additional cost prior to delivery. Unfortunately none of the issues related to this were under the control of Atlantic Relocation. We did not arrange nor manage Ms. *******'s transportation or residency in country and had no control over when she arrived in country nor if this time frame of residency and relocation of HHG's met tax requirements. We arranged the importation of the belongings upon contact by Ms. ******* having no idea how long she had been in country. This would not be our concern. We were contracted by Ms. ******* to move her goods in a specific time frame and did so. As far as demanding payment prior to delivery we asked that the letter of intent to pay be amended to reflect promise to pay and the difficulty was due to the individual responsible for producing this letter was out of the office and another individual had to be found to produce same. The reason we wanted the document that day was to insure we could deliver the next day as promised so as not to incur additional charges from the destination agent. Atlantic Relocation has performed as contracted and considers this case closed."

****** ******
Atlantic Relocation Systems/ 1037
**** ***** ******

12/26/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Moving company at fault for breaking table too and desk glass rendering both unusable. After 5 months they said deductible covered entire amount.
Atlantic relocation services moved my furniture and broke the glass on both the desk and table rendering both unusable. I filed a claim shortly afterwards and little response occurred over the next 3-5 months. Finally, they claimed I was responsible for the replacement under the deductible.

Business paid $65 out if the total of astound $360 claiming the rest was under deductible.

I was initially confused as I could find no record of having done business with this individual. After some investigation I found that this customer was moved locally in TX. by the Atlantic agent in Houston, TX. This complaint was lodged against the office in Atlanta, GA. I have made the office in Houston aware of the customers complaints and would suggest they contact the General Manager at that office. I have sourced the contact information there and they should contact Mr. ******* at XXX-XXX-XXXX. I request that this complaint against the Atlanta office that was not involved in this work be removed.
**** **********/

06/19/2014Problems with Product / Service

Movers, Relocation Service, Travel & Moving Services, Movers - Office, Storage Units - Household & Commercial