Types of Complaints Handled by BBB
BBB handles the following types of complaints between businesses and their customers so long as they are not, or have not been, litigated:
- Advertising or Sales
- Billing or Collection
- Problems with Products or Services
- Guarantee or Warranty
We do not handle workplace disputes, discrimination claims or claims about the quality of health or legal services.
To ensure trust in the marketplace, BBB does pro-active review in all types of mediums. In July 2013, BBB questioned this firm's advertising appearing on their website.
1.With Legendary Communities you do not have to choose just one- we offer the best locations in great communities with fabulous amenities.
2.Protects your home with the best structural warranty with the strongest insurance-backing in the industry
3.Lastly, we were contacted by the BBB Serving Greenville, South Carolina. An ad for your company appeared in their service area that stated "Come see why we are Greenville's Best Selling Builder!"
BBB Challenged this firm's advertised claims based on BBB/s Code of Advertising Standard 14 which states Superlative Claims-Puffery. Superlative statements, like other advertising claims, care objective (factual) or subjective (puffery): objective claims relate to tangible qualities and performance values of a product or service which can be measured against accepted standards or tests. As statements of fact, such claims can be proved or disapproved and the advertiser should possess substantiation.
Subjective claims are expressions of opinion or personal evaluation of the intangible qualities of a product or service. Individual opinions, statements of corporate pride and promises may sometimes be considered puffery and not subject to test of their truth and accuracy. Subjective superlatives which tend to mislead should be avoided.
We asked for written documentation to support each of these advertised claims.
The company responded by stating: Re: Legendary Communities Marketing Statements
To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is written in response to marketing questions from the Better Business Bureau. Please find each question below with a response.
* Atlanta Market
BBB questioned this firm advertising appearing on their website that stated "With Legendary Communities your do not have to choose just one-we offer the best locations in great communities with fabulous amenities"
Response: We offer 60 communities in areas of Atlanta, South Carolina Upstate and Charlotte that are highly sought after for schools, area attractions, and work commutes. Most of our neighborhoods offer pools and cabanas/clubhouse and many offer additional amenities including playground, tennis courts, walking trails lakes, boat access, picnic areas and more.
* "Protects your home with the best structural warranty with the strongest insurance-backing in the industry."
Response: Legendary Communities provides each customer limited express warranty coverage from 2-10 Home buyers Warranty. For over 30 years, 2-10 HBW has been an innovator in the home warranty business providing comprehensive home warranty services to builders, real estate professionals and homeowners across the county. Their 10-year insurance-backed, new construction structural warranty is the most used and best recognized warranty in the home building business. And their one year renewable systems and appliance warranty offers the most comprehensive coverage available. Thousands of builders and real estate professional warranties each year to grow and protect their businesses. They're one of just a few HUD approved choices in new home warranty protection and homeowners have given them an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
* Greenville Market
"Come see why we are Greenville Best Selling Builder"
Response: Legendary Communities has received a award for being named the largest residential contractor in Greenville County for 2012. The award is attached.
We hope this satisfies you requests. Please do not hesitate to contact us with regards to this or any other questions.
BBB responded by stating: Thank you for your response to BBB's ad review inquiry that was opened in September of 2011. At this time, the matter has been closed and is being reported as "unsubstantiated."
We will be more than happy to work with you to resolve this matter. You will need to take the following steps:
1. Respond to the original ad review inquiry by either providing substantiation or modifying the advertised claims with the suggested modifications provided by our office.
2. The documentation you provided to substantiate your advertised claim of "Come see why we are Greenville Best Selling Builder!" is not sufficient. We believe, and please clarify if incorrect, that the Homeowner's Association is a membership firm and not an independent survey company. Additionally, the certificate states "#1 largest residential contractor" and not "best-selling builder." Again, you may modify or provide documentation from an independent survey firm that has compared your company with each of your competitors.
3. You will need to respond to our request regarding your business start date and if you were under the umbrella of Legendary Communities Alabama, LLC.
Our office has also done another review of your website and found the following claims for which we are requesting written substantiation:
(1) HONORED AS BRONZE AWARD RECIPIENT Legendary communities, a Georgia based home builder, has recently been honored as a Bronze Award recipient by the nation's leading new home warranty company, Home Buyers Warranty Corporation (2-10 HBW®). As to date, we have no record of receiving a response from the firm.
BBB reviews advertising in all types of mediums and when deemed appropriate, will send the advertised claim(s) in question to a company seeking voluntary assistance with the company providing substantiation for their advertised claims or removing or modifying the advertised claim(s) in question.
The ad review inquiry is based on BBB's Code of Advertising Standards which may be found at - http://atlanta.bbb.org/bbb-accreditation-advertising-code/