BBB Accredited Business since 10/03/2005

Shumate Air Conditioning & Heating

3 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 2 closed in last 12 months

04/20/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

We called Shumate to help address a lack of heat in our residence on 02-24-2015. The matter we where told was fixed however on 02-25-2015 and 02-26-2015 we had t call them back (every morning) because the heat would turn itself off, with a trip switch. I have a young child and pets in my home. The temp in the house would be between 50-55 degrees. On the final visit on 02-26-2015 we where advised that we needed a $1500.00 upgrade (even though we had lived in the home for 2+ years never having this problem before) for our unit to function correctly. On 02-27-2015 our heat went out again. We called a different heating company ******** ******* ************. They sent a tech out to check out the issue. The tech advised us that there was NO need for a upgrade and that Shumate was merely attempting to sell us an upgrade, rather than fix a very minor problem. The had in fact set our heater up with TWO trip lines to turn off every time the heat was on. The tech from ******** ******* removed the extra trip that was on our heater and we have not had a single problem with the heat cutting off since, We refuse to pay Shumate for poor repair and customer service. They did not fix the problem! Now they have turned the matter over for collections, which we are disputing and demanding the account be removed from collections. ASAP
Order_Number: ********

Matter to be removed from collections. Zero balance on account, letter of apology

**** and ***** *******, I am sorry to hear that we did not solve the issue with your furnace. It is not our intentions or practice to not repair any system that is repairable. However we would have liked the opportunity to satisfy your needs in a manner that was acceptable to you. I have credited the charge for the service fee off your account and apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the apology and credit ... However this matter had been turned over for collections and we require a letter showing this matter has been closed and will not reflect negatively on our credit. This was not just a matter between us but you involved a collection agency after we explained repeatedly about the issue we had. So we will need proof that this matter has been closed and corrected with the collection agency, a well. As to correcting the matter we provided your company with 3 consecutive days to fix the problem at which point we where told we needed a an expensive upgrade... which we did not... Please provide proof that the collections matter has been closed and any negative reporting has been corrected also. Thank you!***** and **** *******

Our collections agency has been contacted and a letter is being mailed to you to show there will be no information reported to any credit bureau or credit reporting agency. Please contact our office in the event you do not receive this documentation. Thank you for your patience during this matter.

05/09/2016Billing / Collection Issues
05/23/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Terribly disappointed with Shumate A/C and Heating. Overpaid for part in November 2015 and failed to meet service window May 2016.
Advised during winter furnace tune-up necessary to replace Run Capacitor (10-20 mfd). Paid $64.00 for part and have found advertised for nearly 75% of that cost. I have a TRANE *************** installed December 2007. Technician ******* ***** Called Shumate six weeks ago to schedule an A/C tune. Was told earliest date 5/13 between 12N and 4P. Now advised possibly by 6P.

I am requesting a compromise related to a portion of my purchase on 11/10/15 to be refunded and for a 50% discount related to my 5/13 tune up charge.

I have received your inquiry about recent service performed at your home. I understand your total purchases to be $103.00. You feel that this price is excessive and that is not our intent to overcharge any of our customers. However this is our price and we feel this is a fair price to send a properly trained technician with an appropriately inventoried truck. You mentioned that you felt a compromise was needed on the purchase of $64.00 on 11.10.2015 and a 50% reduction in the $39.00 spent on 05.13.2016.
After looking over the documents and total time and material invested I feel it's best just to refund all of your total investment of $103.00. To do a comprise I feel that would infer we have done something wrong and I don't see that. I feel the refund of the entire amount in good faith of customer service would be more suitable in this situation when a customer feels this strongly about a repair. It is Shumate's position to provide our customers with the best possible technician's, tools, materials and all other necessary essentials to perform all aspects of their job. With this being our position we cannot perform that at the lowest possible price that some may see thru local media and web outlets.

Best Regards,

**** *

My objective was not to seek a full refund. In my own defense that would infer that my complaint was based solely on receiving goods and services for free. In May of 2015 I willingly enrolled in Shumate's annual HVAC program agreeing to pay an additional premium for a furnace tune-up in the fall. It would then be my contention that my investment would cover the cost of your Tech and inventory. Therefore, when the technician arrived my house, the company's cost should have been covered. But to charge me $64.00 for a part, which lists for nearly 65% of that is an unfair business practice. As a result my trust in Shumate as an honest broker has been diminished.

Heating & Air Conditioning, Furnace Cleaning, Furnace Sales & Service, Humidifying Apparatus, Heating Equipment, Air Purifying & Cleaning Systems & Equipment, Heating Equipment & Systems Cleaning & Repair, Air Duct Systems, Air Duct Cleaning, Duct Cleaning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Water Heater - Tankless, Water Heaters - Dealers, Air Quality Service, Dehumidifying Equipment, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, Water Heaters - Repairing, Contractor - Insulation, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems