BBB Accredited Business since 11/01/1996

Metro Mechanical, Inc.

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 5 closed in last 12 months

09/18/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

1st Problem started after installation of HVAC system; Sales Rep sold us on a product, something different was installed. 2nd Unit would not cool.
We purchased an HVAC unit through the **** ***** on 6/24/14; it was installed by Metro Mechanical Heating & Air (Conyers, Ga.) on 7/1/14.

My first problem began with what Sales Rep ********* sold us... based on what he told us and the documentation he left, we thought we were getting a Gold Comfort System. But, that did not happen; after the installation, we discovered that we got the least efficient unit manufactured by their vendor, Lennox.

I contacted **** ****** Metro Mechanical, General Manager, and emailed him the documentation. I have yet to get a follow-up phone call from him with a resolution.

In the meantime, I hoped that what was installed would be efficient... but, the day after installation the unit was running non-stop without properly cooling, even late into the evening when temperatures dropped. So, I contacted Lennox the manufacturer of the unit, and was told that something had to be wrong with the unit because of the output temperatures from the register/vents that I gave them. I contacted Metro and they dispatched a Service Technician. The system had a leak; the Service Technician claimed to have fixed the problem... it worked for a few days.

And then we started having problems with it again, and again I contacted Metro, they sent out a Service Technician. He said it had leak. He claimed to have repaired it. It seemed to work for a few days, and here we are again, the unit isn't cooling efficiently, causing it to run non-stop.

I have given Metro opportunities to correct the problem, the problem still isn't corrected. I can only imagine the impact this will have on our electric bill.

I was told the unit we purchase would be efficient; well it isn't!

We spent $4500.00, I've contacted Metro numerous times informing them of our problems with the Sales Rep and installation and service; at no point during this entire ordeal has a management representative from Metro Mechanical offered to come out to inspect this defective piece of junk.

I've also been in contact with Home Depot; I've yet to hear from them. I am hoping the BBB can help.

I'd like to have what we were sold... a unit that properly, and runs effectively.

We do apologize for this misunderstanding. My recollection is somewhat different. The information you sent me matches what we had on the contract you signed, including model numbers. I also informed you that I would remove the system and install a high efficient system that you want and you would only have to pay the cost difference in the equipment and I would not charge you for the labor and absorb the loss of the new system that I would be removing. This offer still stands. Our records indicate we were out on 8/8/2014 because your upstairs air was not working. The ticket shows our technician repaired a freon leak. We are not aware the system is not operating now. I will have ********* call you and we will get our service manager to inspect this system for proper operation. Please let us know how you would like to move forward. You can contact ********* or myself.

**** *****
General Manager

08/07/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Had to replace compressor 2x in a year. 2nd compressor blown within a month. b/c install tech didn't test other parts. Prob getting part warranty honored

Initial problem began May 2013. Compressor replaced. New comp went out May 2014. Tech did not test capacitor or fan motor causing 2nd compressor to malfunction 10 days after new install. Having problems getting part warranty honored because I chose to use someone else to do work on a different part and not metro.

Refund the 1900.00 for the compressor and damages to siding or replace unit.

Metro Mechanical went out for a service call on 5/20/2013 to find a failed compressor. Metro quoted Mrs. ******* to replace this part. Mrs. ******* approved the replacement. When replacing the compressor on 5/30/2013 she also received a one year parts and labor warranty on that compressor. Mrs. ******* called our company again on 5/12/2014 stating her system wasn't cooling. Upon arrival on 5/12/2014, Metro found another failed compressor. Since this still fell under the one year parts and labor warranty we replaced this compressor at no charge to Mrs. *******. On 5/24/2014 Metro replaced her compressor, added liquid line dryer, recharged her system with new Freon and tested system operations. At this time her system was operating as normal. Mrs. ******* called our office on 6/4/2014 stating her system wasn't cooling again. Metro's technician found that there was a bad capacitor that needed to be replaced at no charge to the customer. On this visit Metro's technician also found a bad condenser fan motor and let Mrs. ******* know that it was going out and if it wasn't replaced as soon as possible that it would in turn cause the compressor to fail again and stated if the system continued to run without replacing the fan motor we would not be able to warranty another compressor. Our recommendation to replace the condenser fan motor was declined at this time by Mrs. *******. The technician also recommended replacing the system due to age and repairs needed. We did set Mrs. ******* up with an estimate to replace her system in which our Comfort Consultant gave options to replace her system but she has not accepted the proposal. On 7/7/2014 Mrs. ******* called Metro to let us know that her system had "blown up" leaving a black residue on the side of her house and the system was currently not operating. I informed her at that time we recommended to replace her condenser fan motor so this wouldn't happen. She then stated that she had another company come out after we installed the new compressor to replace her condenser fan motor. I then informed her that we were no longer liable for damages because another company had worked on her system after we did. However, as a courtesy, I scheduled a technician to go to the property to assess the system. Our technician found that there was a whole inside of the compressor at the plug and it was burnt. Our Service Supervisor called her letting her know that due to another company working on her system after we replaced her compressor that company would now be responsible for the repair. We have placed another compressor on order and quoted Mrs. ******* to replace it. We have not heard from Mrs. ******* to move forward. At this time, we will not be able to refund the cost of her compressor or replace her system at no charge.

Metro Mechanical failed to acknowledge that the technician who installed the compressor on 5/24/14 failed to check the capacitor which controls the compressor as well as the fan motor, which was working properly from 5/24/14 until 6/4/14 after the install. There is no mention of the fan motor on the invoice for 5/24/14. Had he checked the capacitor during install he would have discovered the capacitor, which runs the compressor and the fan motor, was not operating properly. The technician who can on 6/4/14 discovered the capacitor was failing, and stated that the installer the previous week should have checked it during the install of the compressor on 5/24/14. Because the capacitor was not checked at install of the compressor, the technician who came on 6/4/14 installed the capacitor at not charge to the first technicians negligence. The fan motor became damaged between 5/24/14 and 6/4/14 as a result of that negligence because the capacitor operated the fan motor as well as the compressor. Had the capacitor been checked, I been informed that it was failing prior to compressor install, and given the option of having the capacitor replaced at install, there would be no damage to my unit or the side of my home. The representative chose to also send a technician out that she has personal dealings with that would also bias his observation of the situation. Metro Mechanical would not receive any favorable recommendations. I have not been in further contact with them because ********* and her supervisor informed me that they were not in any way going to resolve the issue or compensate me for a product that I purchased from them for $1513.00 plus interest that only worked for a little more than a year.

The capacitor was 1 year old and checked at the time of replacing the compressor on 5/24/2014. On 6/4/2014, our technician replaced the dual capacitor as a courtesy and recommended replacing your condenser fan motor immediately.

Thanks,
********* ******

07/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

In 2008 home built using Metro as HVAC contractor. 2009 Metro had to return to home for hvac modifications. 2013/2014 unit had to be replaced.
2008 Ducane hvac unit installed. 2009 metro had to return due to poor air flow problems. 2013/2014 unit freezing, two separate contractors called, both stated that the workmanship and installation of the unit was of poor quality. May 2014 unit replaced due to constant problems occurring.

Metro installed 2 units in my home in 2008. according to the contractors I called the other unit is subject to fail as well if some modifications are not addressed. I think that whatever the reason that Metro Mechanical had to return to my home in 2009 is the underlined problem we have. Metro should cover some of the cost of the replacement and look at my other unit as well. They knew the air flow was poor in 2009.

I have given Mr. ***** a detailed explanation of our stance and the reasons why in previous email conversation. Basically we permitted and had the job inspected properly when installed, Mr ***** has already filed a complaint with the State of ** and been told the ductwork is acceptable per code.Metro has not been contacted concerning any HVAC issues since 1/5/2009. We made some minor duct modifications at that time to give better airflow. Metro has received no call from Mr ***** for service since that time so we could only assume he was satisfied.Now, after the fact , he wants Metro to pay for his system replacement by another company.This company used the same ductwork system they said was terrible for the new system, go figure. The only reason for replacement was a leak in a coil that could have been easily repaired or replaced under warranty at the time.Instead, he paid $8,600 for complete new high end HVAC equipment, all without any communication with Metro, the original installing contractor.I have communicated with Mr ***** and explained Metro's position with good reasoning. I don't understand why he continues to wrongfully attack us in every forum he can find.We make every possible attempt to satisfy our customers but were not given any opportunity to do so before the equipment was replaced in this case.I can't justify any monetary compensation in this matter.

07/28/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Metro Mechanical charged me for warranty repair.
Metro Mechanical has been to my home over 20 times since 2007 to adjust,repair or replace the issues I've had with my system. I have had my system replaced 2 times once was under warranty the last time 08/2012 I paid for a Brand New System and from what they said that should fix the problem. 1 week later the fan needs to be replaced in the Brand New Unit I paid to have replaced. Now 23 months later I had to pay them $200.00 to check the problem and They told me to replace the part will be $600.00 Labor cost plus refrigerant that will be lost because of the part failure. The Rep ********* first told me there won't be charge for the diagnosis and the Manager **** said he wouldn't charge for the refrigerant they added to cool my home. But the cost would be $600.00 for the labor and the part that's needed. When I told ********* I didn't have the $600.00 her emails went to well now you need to pay us for checking the defective Warranty Item. I think that's poor business practice.

$190.74

Metro Mechanical had already informed the customer that we had worked it out with the manufacturer to cover the coil and all miscellaneous parts needed to replace the coil under warranty and we would waive the 600.00 charge for labor. We will not be able to refund the 190.74 requested because this was a diagnostic charge and leak search that is not covered under the warranty.

07/02/2014Problems with Product / Service

Heating & Air Conditioning, Furnace Cleaning, Furnace Sales & Service, Humidifying Apparatus, Air Purifying & Cleaning Systems & Equipment, Air Duct Restoration, Air Duct Systems, Air Duct Cleaning, Air Conditioning Systems - Cleaning, Air Conditioning Repair, Heating & Air Conditioning - Filters, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Commercial, Air conditioning & Heating Contractors - Residential, Heating Contractors, Heat Pumps, Air Conditioning Contractors & Systems