BBB Accredited Business since 12/01/1997

J. H. Kinard, LLC

4 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 1 closed in last 12 months

09/16/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

We hired Kinard to repair a broken gas line in our fireplace, which they did well. They also stated they could install new tile where it was torn out. The tile work was not installed properly and a second attempt was made. As "customer satisfaction is guaranteed," an offer was made to cover any cost of installation if we used another contractor. When we presented the bill for the new installation, they would only agree to pay 25% of it. They did not live up to their word.
Product_Or_Service: Tile installation

We ask for what was offered and agreed to, the cost of the new installation.

We have been a member of the BBB for many years and our past record shows that we make every effort to meet our customer's needs.

Customer originally approached us about work they wanted to do in August 2013. There were several phone conversations, pictures e-mailed to us, face to face meeting and a proposal submitted in late October. There were more discussions and customer wanted to supply their own tile. They called us when they had the tiles and work was scheduled. Our tech started the job 2-3-14 on what should have been a 2 day job. The customer decided white mortar would look better so we went back and changed that for them at no additional cost. There was also a delay with getting additional tiles.

3-25-14 ***** *****, owner, went to the home to inspect the work with them and they were somewhat unhappy with the little tiles they picked out trimming the actual firebox. They stated they "might want to rip it out and have us re-do it". Stated they would call when a decision was made. 7-1-14 we received a call from them requesting ***** return to inspect the job. When he arrived he was advised they had another contractor revise the tile work and had paid in excess of $1,000. They expected to be reimbursed by us. They were never told by us to call someone else and we would pay for it. They never contacted us to make the changes they wanted. ***** advised that he did not feel we were responsible for changes they made because they were not satisfied with the material they chose. We did offer them $300 as a good faith gesture since they were unhappy. We would never agree to pay for another contractor to do any work that we are capable of doing.

It appears the customer was more disappointed with the choices they made rather than the quality of our work. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority but we did not have the opportunity to do what they wanted before they hired someone else.

01/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I paid J.H. Kinard to come to my home to look at my gas log chimney. They gave me an stomate of the replacement and guaranteed that if I contracted them to do the job, the $65.00 charge for the estimate service call would be applied to the total price of the work. So, I called them several times to schedule the work and they never scheduled me in. They totally ignored me after caching my service estimate call check. They kept telling me that they will call me when they could schedule the work. Never did, it's been 3 months and I had to have the work done by someone else.
Product_Or_Service: exchange gas fire logs

I would like them to return my $65.00.

Our records show that we inspected the fireplace,chimney and skylights;gave proposal to repair stucco $525,replace skylights $2,500 or re-seal around them $325 and replace logs for $500 or $650. Later advised $500 logs not available& and only $650 logs available. We do not show that she ever authorized us to do any of the above work; nor do we have a signed proposal. It is in our best interest to make the most of every job opportunity offered to us; and I can assure you that the 3 ladies in my office take the customers' needs very seriously. We have sent this customer a letter of apology and a refund of the $65 paid to us.

11/10/2015Problems with Product / Service
02/10/2015Problems with Product / Service

Chimney Builders & Repair, Chimneys - Prefabricated, Chimney Lining Materials, Soffit & Fascia, Dryer Vent Cleaning, Ventilating Systems - Cleaning, Air Duct Cleaning, Duct Cleaning, Chimney Sweeper, Chimney Cleaning, Fireplaces, Construction & Remodeling Services, Waterproofing Contractors, Skylights, Sandblasting, Contractor - Metal Roofing, Roofing Contractors, Contractor - Spray Foam Insulation, Contractor - Insulation, Home Improvements - Additions, Contractors - Gutters, Gutter Cleaning, Gutters & Downspouts, Outdoor Kitchens