BBB Accredited Business since 03/07/2000

AutoTrader.com (Headquarters)

71 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 13 closed in last 12 months

03/24/2016Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

I paid $75 USD for my ad and there hasn't been one single call or email. More details later.
I posted an ad on autotrader.com Feb 5th and has been part of over 600 searches based on the report stats provided by autotrader. However, there hasn't been a single or email. They keep having sales people call and email me (almost immediately after I posted ad) telling me I needed to pay another $300 if I really wanted to sell my car because my ad was going to get buried by dealership ads.
I feel like they totally scammed me. My Ad ID is ********* for a 2010 Acura TL priced very low. I believe they keep your car low on the search so that you will pay more. Please help.

Either for them to stop forcing my ad to be low on the search or a refund.

We apologize Ms.********'s listing did not generate the responses she hoped. Our records indicate her ad was placed as a featured listing on February 5, 2016 and has appeared in the search results on our site 989 times. Potential buyers viewed the details of her ad 57 times, and she has had 2 phone number views.

As a courtesy, AutoTrader will upgrade Ms.********'s ad to the premium listing. Premium listings are the most prominent listings in shoppers' search results. They're also the largest listings with the biggest thumbnail photo and the maximum vehicle details, descriptions and seller information.

Ms.******** is only entitled to a refund under the following circumstances:

1. AutoTrader.com will not provide any refund, for any reason; if AutoTrader.com receives the request for refund more than 72 hours after an Ad has been ordered. If you contact us after 72 hours, we will correct any mistakes we have made in the Ad, but cannot offer a refund.
2. If you call within 72 hours of ordering an Ad, AutoTrader.com will provide a refund only for the following reasons:
(i) Your Ad has not been posted and you wish to cancel the Ad (but you must first allow 24 hours for photos and up to 48 hours for multiple photos to post); or
(ii) You mistakenly ordered and paid for duplicate Ads through AutoTrader.com and seek to cancel, and obtain a refund on, the duplicate(s) only. We cannot, however, provide a refund on the original Ad. If you listed your vehicle through any other source (such as a newspaper or other publication) and obtained an Ad on AutoTrader.com through that source, that Ad on AutoTrader.com is not a "duplicate" of any paid AutoTrader.com Ad that you may also have ordered, and you are not entitled to cancel and obtain a refund on the paid AutoTrader.com Ad.
3. AutoTrader.com cannot provide a refund for any other reason, even if you call within 72 hours of ordering an Ad. For example, we cannot provide a refund if you change your mind about the Ad, or its content or enhancements, or if you have made mistakes in submitting the Ad, or if you have not received any inquiries or offers to purchase the vehicle through AutoTrader.com, or if the vehicle has already been sold through other means. We also cannot provide a refund if AutoTrader.com has made mistakes in the content or enhancements of the Ad. In any case where AutoTrader.com has made such mistakes, we will of course make appropriate corrections to the Ad.

I'm satisfied because their suggested solution stops them from trying to upsell me which they started on the same day I posted the original ad which is why it felt like a scam.
Thank you for your help. Hopefully enough people will complain and they'll change their process.

07/09/2015Billing / Collection Issues | Read Complaint Details

******* ******, our AutoTrader rep told us he would credit two months of our service. ******* & my salesman, Brad had a miscommunication and Brad was not using AutoTrader. ******* admitted he didn't communicate clearly and agreed to credit two months. We ask ******* repeatedly to issue the credit. Each time we asked he, he said he would. This went on for months. Then I received a call from **** in their collections department. I told him that ******* keeps telling us he is going to give us a credit. We did a conference call, **** in collections, ******* and myself. ******* confirmed with **** that he did owe us a credit. I even have a voice mail form ******* saying "I got the approval on the credit". It never happened. Now I have a Lawyer, Ken Matthews from ************************** threatening to sue me if I don't pay. My experience with ******* and AutoTrader has been horrible and it doesn't seem like it is going to end.
Product_Or_Service: Online Advertising
Order_Number:**********************

I would like AutoTrader to pay the lawyer (*********************************************.) the credit they owe me.

Reference the complaint from dealer ********** /Buy and Drive Autos Dealer ID#********.
I researched the complaint where the dealer states she was promised two months credit due to Miscommunication with the salesman **** of which sales rep ******* ****** per the dealer admitted he did not communicate clearly and would credit two(2) months.
I communicated with the sale rep ******* ****** and he stated the dealer was never promised any credits as such but, he was due a credit but not for the reason described.
Sales did ask to check if any credits had been issued and went back to the year 2013 and none had been posted.
Dealers : Billing Adjustment
On 7.1.15 an email from sales ******* ****** advised a credit had been requested by his District Sales Manager ******* ***** for the two (2) months in question for a total of $1,550.00.
At this time please forward this information to the Better Business Bureau and mark your file as closed.
Thanks,

I accept this response because they gave me the credit that the sales rep promised.

12/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I listed my car on autotrader.com for $50 and agreed to their terms. In my confirmation email, it details how I can get a refund if my vehicle doesn't sale. I was deployed on a submarine during July and August with no way of making phone calls, sending emails, or sending mail. According to autotrader, I had to mail in a refund request form between July 17 - Aug 5th. Obviously being on a submarine I could not mail anything in. Upon returning at the end of August, I contacted Autotrader requesting a refund. Every time I called they said it was still processing until finally they told me it was declined. On or about October 20th I contacted them again to redo my refund request and again they told me it would take time to process. I was just notified by their manager who runs their money back guarantee program that they will not give me my money back because I did not send the form in and that because it has now been 6 months, they cannot do anything. I explained to her how impossible it was for me to mail anything to them and that when I contacted them 2 months ago, it was inside their "6 month window." Please help me with this injustice.**Copied from confirmation email**"Money Back Guarantee:If your vehicle doesn't sell within 90 days, we'll refund the fees you paid for the initial purchase price of your ad, excluding the cost of any enhancements purchased. The Refund Request form must be postmarked between Jul. 17, 2014 and Aug. 5, 2014. Additional Terms of Sale apply."
Product_Or_Service: autotrader.com used car listing
Order_Number: *********
Account_Number: *********

I want my money back and an apology from them for their ignorance and disrespect.

Our records indicate, Mr. ******* placed his ad on April 17, 2014. He first contacted our office on September 11, 2014, by phone requesting the Money Back Guarantee (MBG). Per our records, the terms and conditions in relation to the Money-Back Guarantee were explained to Mr. ******* by an agent when he contacted us on September 11, 2014. The terms were e-mailed to him in the confirmation e-mail when he signed up and they have always been available on our site. Mr. ******* contacted our office again on October 31, in regards to the Money-Back Guarantee, in which he was informed by an agent and a supervisor, that he is no longer eligible for the Money-Back Guarantee because he did not complete and submit the refund request form postmarked between July 11, 2014 and August 1, 2014.
Mr. ******* ad ran from April 17, 2014 to July 10, 2014 with 1,673 search views and 15 car detail views. We offered to relist Mr. *******'s ad and he declined.
Mr. ******* is only entitled to a refund (with respect to an ad with the Money-Back Guarantee feature) under the following circumstances:
(i) your ad has run on AutoTrader.com for a period of at least 60 consecutive days from the date AutoTrader.com completed processing of your ad; (ii) you fully complete and submit to us a refund request form, available from the AutoTrader.com website, which must be postmarked within 21 days of your ad's expiration or after your ad has been on the site for 60 days, whichever comes first; and (iii) at the time you submit your refund request form, the vehicle advertised in your ad is still for sale by you and the title to the vehicle is held by you (or by a lien holder on your behalf). Once we receive your refund request form, we will review your request to determine, in our sole discretion, whether you have complied with all terms and conditions. This is our final response.

The above information is very incorrect. When I contacted the business on Sep 11, the representative informed me that due to the fact that I was deployed, she would submit the request to her superiors to give me a refund. When I didn't receive a call or email regarding this matter, I called in at least two more times to check the status on the refund. When I was finally notified that it was not processed due to me not mailing in my request, I informed that representative of the circumstances and they said that it should be approved and that they would resubmit it and make sure their superiors were aware of the fact that I was deployed. Again, I never heard back and with my busy work schedule I allowed several weeks to pass before realizing that I had yet to receive a response via phone or email. It was when I called in on October 31st that I was formally notified that I would not be entitled to a refund. So it took nearly 2 months of me calling them on several occasions to get an official "yes" or "no" from Autotrader even though they clearly had my contact information readily available.

After reading the terms and conditions, I am aware of multiple scenarios and time frames in which I could have sent in a request for a refund. However, I was sent one confirmation email and in that email, the ONE time frame that I had to wait for a refund was CLEARLY stated as being July 17 - August 5th. I see that as an unfair business practice to inform me that I have one chance at getting a refund, when in actuality I have multiple. For this reason, I have contacted my legal representation regarding a lawsuit. I have no qualms with paying legal fees if that means rectifying an injustice. It is hard to fathom such a large business being so small minded over a simple $50 issue. I don't ask anybody to pity me for being deployed or grant me special treatment, but it is sick that somebody would deny me the same privileges as somebody who is not deployed. I will be attaching a copy of the confirmation email previously mentioned that makes no reference to any other dates that I could have sent in my refund request.

==============================================
Here is the initial confirmation email I received from Autotrader. I never received any additional phone calls, emails, etc from them. As you can see, there is a "Money Back Guarantee" portion at the bottom that notifies me of the days I could submit my refund request. There is a link for additional "terms of sale" in that same box, however, because it does not say anything about "additional terms of refund," I, the consumer, is left to believe that I have only one date range where a refund request would be applicable. I'm not sure how to submit this email into the complaint...can you please help me with this??

Thanks again,
******* *******

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: AutoTrader.com <******************************>
Date: Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Subject: Order Confirmation
To: ********************

Here's your order confirmation.
Click here to manage your ad.
Having trouble viewing this email?
Click to view as web page.

Manage Your Ad Enhance Your Ad Selling Tools Find Your Car Contact Us

****************
Thanks for listing your car with us. Here's your order confirmation and some additional information you may want to keep handy.
How do I manage my ad?
To review, edit, renew or remove your ad you'll need to login to our Manage Your Ad page using your email address and Ad ID:**********. Be sure to click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page when you're done. Changes will appear on the site within 24 hours.
How soon will my ad appear?
Typically, your ad will appear within 24 hours. In some cases it may take up to 48 hours. You'll receive an email once your ad displays on our site.
Where will my ad appear?
As an added benefit, your ad will also appear on MSN Autos and NADAguides.com. Your ad may appear on additional websites and in other publications as we develop new partnerships.

If you purchased an ad on KBB.com, it will appear on KBB.com shortly after it goes live on AutoTrader.com, and it will run for the same duration. If you choose to extend your AutoTrader.com ad, your KBB.com ad will be extended at the same time.

Note: Some features of your listing won't necessarily appear on KBB.com.
Finish Uploading Vehicle Photos

You've uploaded 0 of 9 available photos for your vehicle details page. You can upload remaining photos by email or by logging into Manage Your Ad page.

Upload photos by email.
Follow these steps to upload photos by email:
1. The subject line includes your unique Ad ID. Do not change this text.
2. Use the "Attach Files" feature of your email application to locate and add photo files to the email. There is a 554x408 (or 4MB) limit for each photo. If you email more photos than the number included in your package, the extra photos will not appear on your ad.
3. After you've attached all the photos you want to use in your ad, click "Send."

Please note: Photos attached to this email are automatically processed, and comments sent in the body of this email will not be read.

Typically, your photos will appear on your ad within 24 hours. In some cases, it may take up to 48 hours. Go to Manage Your Ad to make sure the photos are in the order you'd like.

Order Confirmation

Thumbnail Photo

Total Charged $50.00

**************

Email Us
Feel free to contact our team of customer service representatives if you need help during the car-selling process Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9am - 7pm ET or email us any time.

Money Back Guarantee:
Ad Traffic Reports:
This feature allows you to see how your ad is performing by tracking the number of times your ad appears in shoppers' search results, and how often they see your full car details, phone number and email. View the reports on the Manage Your Ad page.

This email was sent by: AutoTrader.com, Inc.
3003 Summit Blvd. Suite 200, Atlanta, GA, 30319, United States

AutoTrader.com has sent you this email because you have purchased an ad.

AutoTrader.com respects and protects your privacy and will not rent, sell or share your personal information with outside companies for their promotional use.

Offers contained in this email are subject to change without notice. AutoTrader.com reserves the right to modify or cancel any offer at any time.

(c) 2014 AutoTrader.com, Inc.. All Rights Reserved. "AutoTrader.com" is a registered trademark of TPI Holdings, Inc. used under exclusive license.

Privacy Policy Terms of Sale Visitor Agreement

Mr. ******* can call the following number ************** and ask for a Senior Support Representative, to provide us with his vehicle information for his new listing.

11/12/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I listed a vehicle I have for sale using their 30-day service with a money-back guarantee if it did not sell. The vehicle did not sell within the 30 days and I have been unsuccessful in obtaining my refund. I have mailed them the required paperwork as I was instructed to after speaking with one of their customer service representatives. A follow-up call weeks later yielded no results.They have provided me with three different time frames of when I was supposed to turn in my paperwork and cannot tell me what the status is of the paperwork I already submitted. I believe they are purposely creating confusion to the point where I will eventually be told I am past my submission deadline and no refund can be issued.My order confirmation e-mail stated my refund request had to be postmarked between 11/12 and 12/01. The refund form however states within 3 weeks of eligibility date (ad expiration date). Since these dates were conflicting I called customer service to clarify and was told the 3 weeks after expiration is the correct time frame and I should submit my paperwork within those three weeks which I did. Three weeks after mailing the form I called to check on the status and was told I sent the paperwork in too early and 11/03 is the deadline. An e-mail was supposedly sent to the refund department on my behalf by the CSR I spoke with to check on the status of my paperwork and I was told I would hear back within 24 hours which did not happen.
Product_Or_Service: 30 Day Standard Listing
Account_Number: *********

$30 refund per the money-back guarantee.

Our records indicate that Mr. ****** called us on October 22, 2014 and was informed by an agent that it takes 4-6 weeks to process money back guarantee forms. We received Mr. ******'s money back form postdated on September 25, 2014. Mr. ****'s money back guarantee was processed and an e-mail was sent on November 07, 2014, indicating that we have received his Money Back Guarantee form and that he was approved and issued a credit for $30.00.

If you have additional questions, please call us at **************** (**************). We're here to help Monday through Friday, 8am - 8pm and Saturday, 9am - 7pm Eastern Time. Or, you may email us any time at ********************************

Business issued refund per the money back guarantee. In the future they need to do a better job communicating when the forms should be turned in as they did provide me with several different dates. It wasn't until after the complaint was filed that they followed up with an e-mail on the status of of my request. They should also make the refund request an online service.

09/04/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

They advertise a MBG if a listed vehicle does not sell. I contacted them on 2 occasions w/ no response regarding this as my vehicle didn't sell on.
Autotrader advertises a money back guarantee if a listed vehicle does not sell. I contacted them on 2 separate occasions w/ no response regarding this as my vehicle did not sell. They have been provided more than ample time to respond, and I have not heard from them.

I am seeking for the to uphold their advertised money back guarantee; therefore refunding the customer as advertised.

Contact Name and Title: ******** *****
Contact Phone: Sr. Support Rep.
Contact Email: *****************************
Our records indicate, that Mr. **** placed his ad on May 9, 2014. His ad expired on July 4, 2014. Money Back Guarantee forms must be postmarked within 21 days of the ad's expiration date or after your ad has been on the site for 60 days, whichever comes first. Mr. *****s, 21 day was on 7/25/2014. Mr. **** will need to mail in the form and have it postmarked by August 4,2014.

His form should have been received by July 25, 2014. As courtesy , Mr. **** can mail in the Money Back Guarantee form postmarked by August 4,2014.

You may access the Terms and Conditions on the Refund Request form via the following link:

If you have additional questions, please call us at **************** (**************). We're here to help Monday through Friday, 8am - 8pm and Saturday, 9am - 7pm Eastern Time. Or, you may email us any time at CustomerSupport@AutoTrader.com.

From: zz.AT - Consumer Support Senior Rep
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 12:26 PM
To: *********** (AT - Atlanta)
Cc: *******, ***** * (AT - Atlanta)
Subject: FW: BBB Complaint Case# ******** (Ref#**********-********-*****)

Please review due July30:

Our records indicate that Mr. **** placed his ad on 5/9/14 . His ad expired on 7/4. Forms must be postmarked within 21 days of your ad's expiration or after your ad has been on the site for 60 days, whichever comes first. Mr. ****, 21 day was on 7/25/2014. Mr. **** will need to mail in the form and have it postmarked by August 4,2014.

Autotrader was notified when the listing expired. The reason that we are close to the deadline now is because Autotrader refused to respond until a BBB case was opened. Additionally, they make it nearly impossible to locate the proper process to claim their money back guarantee, so customers are not able to actually file a money back guarantee claim. Even their provided link to print out the form is buried deep in their website with no external links made available to the consumer.

Our records indicate that Mr. **** was sent an email on August 20, 2014, indicating that we have received his Money Back Guarantee form and that we have approved and issued a credit in the amount of $50.00.

04/01/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I attempted to place an ad on the website for Auto Trader Classics. The site locked up. I tried again and the site locked up.
Although I was unable to complete the transaction, I got a bill for both attempts.

Refund of bogus billing.

We apologize for any inconvenience Mr. ********** experienced during the ad placement process. Our records indicate that we spoke to Mr. ********** on March 10, 2016 and was able to successfully place his listing. A refund for the duplicate charge was issued in the amount of $69 and a free listing was also provided.

We will be happy to speak to Mr. ********** about the issue if additional assistance is needed. Please contact us at ************** and ask to speak to a Senior Representative to discuss this matter.

12/12/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Ripped off $95 initial pay then lured into the VIP program to spend over $200 only to have the car still with me after 7 months.
I posted and paid for an ad for $95 then got a call few weeks down the line to upgrade to the VIP which I spent over $200+ more... in the total of 7 months i had it on auto trader as VIP, I got one call from a lunatic who low balled me $5k below asking price and one email who low balled me $3k less... complete waste of time and money. I filed in for the money back guarantee and they emailed me this:

"Dear ****,

Thank you for contacting AutoTrader.com.

We received your request for a Money-Back Guarantee request for a refund regarding Ad ID ********* 2014 HYUND SONATA. Per our Terms and Conditions, we are unable to issue you a credit because Effective April 2, 2015 AutoTrader.com ceased offering the Money-Back Guarantee program."

How can you NOT tell me this isn't rubbish? This company is best not to be dealt with!!! You're better off posting on craigslist for free. Ebay doesn't cost so much either. After they lure you into spending that much money on a car ad, they take no responsibility in refunding. Awful. They have the Money Back Guarantee program posted online when you Google it. Terrible.

They have to refund me for the initial $95 and the VIP program I paid for. That's called taking responsibility of your customers.

Our records indicate Mr. **** initially placed his ad on May 31, 2015 and later upgraded to the VIP service on June 9, 2015. Autotrader discontinued the Money-Back Guarantee on April 2, 2015. The promotion was not a feature on June 9, 2015 when his ad was placed.
Mr. **** is only entitled to a refund under the following circumstances:

We are unable to issue Mr. **** a refund based on the above terms he agreed to when he placed the ad.

When I signed up, customer service rep told me money was refundable and guaranteed it will sell within 2 months because my car was on demand. Absolutely a lie. Nowhere was i told the money back guarantee was discontinued in April 2nd 2015 when I was signing up. You people have the money back guarantee posted up on your website and Google search to trick people.

Our records indicate Mr. **** received the following features with his VIP listing:
Shopper call screening service, ad creation help, expert pricing advice, weekly ad activity reports, premium ad exposure with a 'run until it sells' Spotlight Ad, 30 photos, distribution to partner sites, privacy shield, AutoCheck Vehicle History Report, and Title & Transfer document services. Mr. ****'s activity report indicates his ad has received 346 car details views, 31 phone number views and 4 email submissions.

Because Mr. **** placed his listing after April 2, 2015 when Autotrader discontinued the Money-Back Guarantee, we will not be able to issue a refund.
Mr. **** is only entitled to a refund under the following circumstances:

09/28/2015Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

After originally posting my car ad, I lowered my price $500 (from $33k to $32500) after a few days and got a confirmation email. Then after another week I lowered it another $500 and got another confirmation email. I was able to confirm the first change a second time at this point because I saw the $32500 when I made the change to $32000. But after a month of the ad being online, I went to check it again and realized that autotrader had changed my price back to $33000 on its own. I submitted a complaint through the site and never got a response except a survey request wanting to be sure my complaint was resolved yet I never got any response, through email, phone or mail attempting to rectify anything. Needless to say I gave very low scores on the survey and again requested that someone actually contact me for real this time to resolve my complaint and two weeks later, I still have yet to receive any correspondence from anyone. I do NOT recommend using this site. Find another way to sell your car!!

refund and upgrade to my account to get my car sold asap as I've now made two unwanted car payments at this point with the time wasted with this mistake

Our records indicate Mr. ****** placed his ad on July 31, 2015. Since placing the listing, Mr. ****** has only contacted Autotrader once via e-mail on August 26, 2015 in which we replied within 24 hours and advised that all changes had updated, and the ad was functioning properly. After further review of the listing, we have confirmed that the ad was placed with an initial listing price of $34,000 and was updated to $33,500 on August 1, 2015. The next price update was made on August 9, 2015 from $33,500 to $33,000, followed by another price change on August 25, 2015 from $33,000 to $32,000, then another on September 7, 2015 from $32,000 to $31,999. We have confirmed that all updates did go live to the site within 24 hours and the listing has functioned properly during the entire duration.

We will be happy to speak to Mr. ****** about the issue. Please contact us at ************** and ask to speak to a Senior Representative to discuss this matter. However, because the ad has been functioning properly, Mr. ****** is not entitled to a refund.

Mr. ****** is only entitled to a refund under the following circumstances:

1. AutoTrader.com will not provide any refund, for any reason, if AutoTrader.com receives the request for refund more than 72 hours after an Ad has been ordered. If you contact us after 72 hours, we will correct any mistakes we have made in the Ad, but cannot offer a refund.

the ad has at least twice reverted to previously higher posted prices which I happened to find by accident and correct myself. And they have still not contacted me to date despite three different attempts for them to do so. I received an email asking if I was satisfied by the supposed contact I received from a customer service rep to which I replied did not happen and I was still waiting to hear from someone. I have not been contacted by phone or email from anyone STILL. I would love for autotrader to provide proof that they have attempted to contact me. I would also like technical proof or a readout for what the live site has shown, not what I have requested it to show because they are not one in the same.

08/11/2015Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

AutoTrader will not honor their VIP money-back guarantee
I upgraded an existing AutoTrader ad to an AutoTrader VIP ad 12 March 2015. My car didn't sell until 13 June 2015. When I called AutoTrader to request a refund, they told me that not only did I miss the 20-day window for requesting a refund (the refund must be requested between 120 and 140 days after the ad was initially placed), but that I also had to still be in possession of the car in order to claim that refund.

AutoTrader claims that a link to the terms and conditions of the guarantee were included with the email confirmation of my ad upgrade.

However, in the ad upgrade confirmation email I received, there is no link to the money-back guarantee terms and conditions. In fact, there's no guarantee in any of the subsequent VIP ad emails I received.

AutoTrader claims that those terms and conditions were explained to me over the phone, however the associate I originally spoke with said nothing about needing to still be in possession of the car at the time the refund was requested (that's the sort of major detail that a person remembers).

I want a full refund of the AutoTrader VIP service ($173.40). I'm happy to eat the cost of the original $100 charge for listing my car prior to the upgrade.

Our records indicate Mr. ****** placed his VIP ad on February 19, 2015. The terms and conditions in relation to the Money-Back Guarantee were explained to Mr. ****** by a VIP agent on March 12, 2015 at the time of enrollment and again when he contacted us on July 16, 2015. Per our records, Mr. ****** did not mail in the Money-Back Guarantee form within the eligibility dates, and he stated that he sold his vehicle on June 13, 2015.

Because Mr. ****** no longer has possession of the vehicle and did not submit the refund request form postmarked between July 10, 2015 and July 31, 2015, he is not entitled to the Money-Back Guarantee.

The terms are listed below:
(i) your ad has run on AutoTrader.com for a period of at least 120 consecutive days from the date AutoTrader.com completed processing of your ad; (ii) you fully complete and submit to us a refund request form, available from the AutoTrader.com website, which is postmarked no earlier than 121 days, and no later than 141 days, after placing the ad; and (iii) at the time you submit your refund request form, the vehicle advertised in your ad is still for sale by you and the title to the vehicle is held by you (or by a lien holder on your behalf). Once we receive your refund request form, we will review your request to determine, in our sole discretion, whether you have complied with all terms and conditions.

06/26/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I placed an ad on autotrader.com on 06-11-2014. My car was in excellent condition and priced about $2,000.00 dollars below kelley Blue Book with a extended factory warranty to be transferred to the new owner, and had very low mileage. I received 3 e-mails about my car within a few hours of it going up, but, in that time I learned a few family members were interested in the car. So I called those 3 people informed them I needed to give the family members a chance to buy the car first and told them I was sorry not selling at this time.I then went to the autotrader ad and priced the car very high so I wouldnt get any calls until I heard back from the family.After the new year everyone in the family had gotten back to me and although they were interested in the car they decided against it or couldnt spend that much on a car. So in Jan 2015, I put the car back to the great price and was expecting to get calls immediately again. I got nothing. I called AT and was told my ad was fine . I researched my price again and it was a good price but I was still getting no calls/emails. I kept checking AT constantly and cars of my make and model were selling and they were priced higher and with more mileage. I kept my price always on the low end of the pricing and got nothing. I continued to call AT and tell them it did not make sense and I thought there was a problem with my e-mail and if people were not getting thru to me or I wasnt responding b/c I wasnt receiving--they would just move on to the next car on their search. Every AT person I spoke to told me my ad was working properly. Then AT recomemded I spotlight the ad -which is an additional cost and stays for 14 days-I did and I still got no calls no emails.Then I got smart and emailed myself thru AT.com and I received nothing. I called AT told them they did a "test email" I did get that ONE. AT told me everything was fine but I still got nothing no calls no emails.I made AT remove my ad and repost thinking that would fix it andnothing
Product_Or_Service: ad to sell car
Account_Number: ********* and ******

I finally posted my car on craigslist.com locally and got 3-5 or 10 calls/emails a week on my car.I ask everyone who contacted me and everyone was from craigslist no one still from autotrader. The volume of calls/emails/interest confirmed to me something was definitely wrong with my AT ad. I sold my car to someone from craigslist and requested my money back from AT. Autotrader said no refund. I went all the way to corporate. I WANT A REFUND. AUTOTRADER was a waste of my time and money.

Our records indicate Ms. ******* placed her ad on June 10, 2014. She contacted our office on March 10, 2015 by phone to ensure her ad was functioning properly, in which we verified that it was. She then contacted us again on March 23, 2015 and requested a new listing be placed since the ad had been running on the site for almost a year. As a courtesy, we replaced the ad so that it would appear as a new listing on the site. Ms. ******* then contacted us again on May 29, 2015 and spoke to a manager in regards to getting a refund per the Money-Back Guarantee, and the terms were explained at that time. She expressed concern that she was not receiving e-mails from potential buyers, however we reviewed the listing again and confirmed that the ad was functioning properly, and no e-mail leads had been missed. Ms. ******* also spoke to another manager on June 05, 2015 and it was again confirmed that the ad had been functioning properly and no e-mail leads had been missed.
Because the ad was functioning properly, Ms. ******* is only entitled to a refund (with respect to an ad with the Money-Back Guarantee feature) under the following circumstances:

(i) your ad has run on AutoTrader.com for a period of at least 60 consecutive days from the date AutoTrader.com completed processing of your ad or until ad expiration date; and (ii) you fully complete and submit to us a refund request form, available from the AutoTrader.com website, which must be postmarked within 21 days of your ad's expiration or after your ad has been on the site for 60 days, whichever comes first; and (iii) at the time you submit your refund request form, the vehicle advertised in your ad is still for sale by you and the title to the vehicle is held by you (or by a lien holder on your behalf). Once we receive your refund request form, we will review your request to determine, in our sole discretion, whether you have complied with all terms and conditions.

Auto Dealers - Used Cars, Internet Services -Advertising, Publishing Consultants, Magazines - Distributors, Auto Listing Service