BBB Accredited Business since 05/11/2012

Hong's Auto Center, Inc.

12/08/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

My truck was improperly serviced. The owner agreed to fix it for free over the phone. When I delivered the truck he said that it would not be free.
I took my fiance's car to the shop 3 weeks ago. There were several things we had him do to the car: change oil, replace radiator hose, replace coolant/flush radiator, etc. Since the weather has been getting colder, I decided to check the coolant to see what the freezing point was. I found that the coolant was already rusty again even though they had just flushed and replaced it. I also found that the freezing points was roughly 10oF, which isn't that good. It should be around -40oF.

After discovering this, I was a little annoyed but I called Hong and he said to bring it in and he would fix it for free. I even asked him twice if I would have to pay anything to get it fixed and he said "no".

Today, I drove up the shop and was about to give him the key when he told me it would cost at least $60 to fix it. I reminded him of our phone call yesterday and he said that I "must have misunderstood." After discussing this for 10 min we yelled at each other and I left.

I spent almost $300 on services. $102 of that was coolant system related ($20 for new coolant, $23 for flush kit, $59 for labor). Since the repair was performed improperly and I received such bad customer service, I would like to be refunded this amount rather than have him reattempt the service.

Contact Name and Title: **** ****
Contact Email: **********************
Dee,

I am writing this response to service I provided to ******** ****** on 11/14/2014. Although , ***** *******, is the one who filed the complaint with the BBB. ***** complained about her car over heating. We diagnosed her car, and visually inspected it. The test results showed that the thermostat needed to be replaced. We also noticed that the radiator cap was old and rusty. The coolant was filled with mud and debris. It had about an inch of debris at the bottom of the coolant. The hose clamp was loose as well. So, we provided the following service to resolve this issue....
Replace thermostat
Replace radiator cap
Replace hose clamp
Added coolant
Use BG Flushing Kit - Used to flush out complete coolant system.
Replaced engine oil and filter
Customer called a few days later complaining about the coolant wasn't flush. I told customer to come by, so we can look at it. I told customer that the BG Flushing Kit didn't completely flush out the coolant because the coolant was old, and the debris in the coolant was full of mud. I told customer we only use 1 BG Flushing Kit for each car. Due to the condition of the coolant(rusty, full of mud & debris), this prevented the BG Flushing Kit to completely flush out the coolant. Customer complains that I told him that I would flush the coolant again over the phone. This is not true. I told customer it would require another BG Flushing Kit to clean the rest of the debris left in the coolant. The coolant wasn't as dirty as it original was, but it still shows a little debris at the bottom. The BG Flushing Kit does not guarantee that it will completely flush your coolant system, it depends on the condition of the coolant system. If you look at BG Product specification, it clearly states in there that it doesn't guarantee, depending on the level or form of rust, scale or other corrosion by-products that may have a significant impact on the BG Flushing Kit. If you want additional information on BG Flushing kit, you can visit their website @ ***************
Regards,

**** Auto

The owner told me he would fix the problem for free, without me haven't to pay anything. Period. That didn't happened. As a result, I have worked on it myself and rectified the situation.

I can not provide free service for a product I have to purchase. Customer was confused with what I told him over the phone. BG Flushing Kit isn't free, therefore; the customer has to pay for additional kit. Customer states in previous response that he has rectified the situation. Therefore, I don't think any additional response is needed. I can not provide additional service for free. Normally, a BG Flushing Kit will clean a car, but his car had much more debris in the coolant, which require more BG Flushing Kit. I can not provide free service for an item I have to purchase myself. I apologize that customer was confused about what I said over the phone.

12/30/2013Problems with Product / Service

Auto Body Repair & Painting, Brake Service, Auto Repair - Tune-Up, Auto Repair & Service, Tire Dealers