BBB Accredited Business since 03/16/2007

Body Magic Automotive Collision Repair, Inc.

08/19/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

lack of customer service and hostile.
A disappointment in the lack of customer service. I recently brought in a vehicle for some minor repair/paint work. A few days after dropping the vehicle off I called the shop (a Friday) to get an update and spoke to the manager. He informed me that the car was going into the paint shop and it would "should be done by the following wednesday but at the latest Thursday". Thursday had passed and heard no word, a little concerned I called up the following day (Friday), spoke to the owner's wife. She informed me that the vehicle was going into the paint shop. I was perplexed with her answer and inquired what had been done the past week since I had spoken to the manager and he had stated the same (I now realize after the fact this was their "stall" comment to all customers). She promised me that she would get to the bottom of the situation and get back to me. I did not hear from her and it was a holiday weekend. I called back Monday morning and got the receptionist, asked to speak to the owner's wife - it was convenient that she was busy and would have to get back to me. I waited all day for a phone call and still no call back. At this point I had about enough of the blatant misconceptions and wanted to talk to the owner's wife. I arrived aprox. 30 minutes before closing and once again the wife was not available but was met by the owner (the husband). For the next 15 minutes I heard excuses and was shown to the location of the vehicle. He did apologize for any miscommunication or to the scheduling to what he referred to as. The car still had not been painted and so he then instructs one of the technicians to have the car painted the following day. Come Wednesday early evening I arrive to look over the completed work. At the location of the repair I notice two dimples (size of a dime) on the work that was done. What was told to me next was the most absurd customer service excuse I have heard. At first the owner was a little dumbfounded with me pointing out the problem and went to talk to the technician. He came back and said that was previous damage from hail. The work to be done was only for removal of the dent not the two small dimples that was inches from the dent. I have had many vehicles in the course of my life and had many of these vehicles in a body shop at some point or another. Bottom line what they were telling me was that they only repaired a specific area and nothing surrounding it. We are talking in the same panel area not adjacent panels. Instead of just saying ok we made a mistake the technician overlooked the spots, we will take care of it. Instead an excuse is made at every "oops" or situation. Perhaps I am old school and appreciate honesty and ethics. Obviously not what I should expect when dealing with this company. I was told to come back the following Monday to talk to the manager (BTW it was convenient that he was on vacation the whole week of "ooops") Fast forward a few days after. I come to pay for the work and expressed that I wanted a discount with all that has happened and did not wish to wait till the manager returned that Monday. The OWNER of the company at this point tells me that I am a JERK and had the audacity to say it with my son (elementary age 9) sitting in the opened waiting room and he heard his comment. I have dealt with this company close to a decade and have returned multiple times but after this incident NEVER!

discount the work since it was not on time nor completed.

This customer brought the vehicle in for an estimate for damages that occurred in a parking lot. These damages were inflicted by another party. While writing the estimate, the customer asked for 2 additional estimates to repair bad paint from a prior repair performed at another shop. These estimates were written and given to him. It was pointed out that there was hail damage present on the car. The customer was not concerned with that, only the paint. He was informed the bad paint would have to be removed, at which point he informed me that he did not want to spend too much for this. Him being a past customer was taken into consideration, in effect giving him an upfront discount. An insurance company wrote an estimate for the left fender damages. They would not pay for blending the paint onto the left door to obtain a color match. The insurance company said they would not pay due to the bad/damaged paint on this panel. The customer then filed a claim with his own insurance company. They also declined to pay for the blend on the left door due to the bad paint. The customer told us to give him a price to paint this door as well. When the vehicle was brought in for repairs we worked off of the insurance estimate given to us by the customer for the left fender and the 2 additional estimates we had provided for the other panels. Due to all of the bad paint and the additional amount of work required to correct, the overall job took longer. The hood actually had to be stripped to bare metal and have an anti-corrosive primer applied. The fender that was repaired under an insurance estimate also had to have additional paint repairs made. Insurance companies only pay to have the damaged areas restored to pre-accident condition. They do not pay for prior damages - that is the customers responsibility. We did not charge the customer for any additional repairs required. While it was not conveyed to management by our paint shop what the holdup was, hind sight being 20-20, it is evident that the increased drying times of the products that had to be used caused the whole repair process to slow down. We did not want to return the customers car with a defective paint job. (The bad paint did make it hard to identify additional damages). Once painted, a panel will show imperfections. It is a rule of thumb at our shop to take care of additional dings or dents near the area being repaired, if they are found, at no additional cost to the customer.
When the customer came to pick up his vehicle, he had the funds from his insurance company to pay. He did question why he had to pay his deductible, then informed our cashier that this wasn't an insurance claim. Previously, our owner had offered to pay for the additional rental days that his insurance company didn't pay for, the customer told him that he already had turned the vehicle back in, as he had no need of it. The customer did not have all the funds to pay his bill so since there was a question as to the exact amount owed for the additional repairs, the owner of the facility informed the cashier to release the vehicle to the customer with only the insurance amount to be paid for. The customer was told that the Manager would return the next week after his vacation and would work all of it out with him. (Vacation planned 4 months prior). The customer was reminded at that time that he still owed for repairs to another vehicle repaired a few weeks before. He acknowledged that fact to her.
The customer left with his vehicle. He came back and returned his keys saying he didn't feel right not having paid in full for the repairs. We found this odd, being he still owed us for additional repairs he had us perform on his other vehicle just a few weeks before this repair.
He came back the next day demanding a discount for the delays. When the owner would not make a decision on this because he did not have all the facts, the customer started screaming and shouting. He paid what was owed on the car and left. On his way out, he accosted two customers coming in to the shop, shouting at them to not do business with a bunch of crooks.
We never charged the customer for the additional work required. We still have not been paid for the additional repairs on the other vehicle. The customer has indicated that he will NEVER come back. That being said, the repairs not paid for by this customer will serve as his discount.

The facts presented in their response regarding the need for additional primer to the hood and other additional work needing to be done was not communicated to me while the car was in their possession. Just more excuses and not addressing the real issues at hand: poor communication of when the vehicle was promised to be completed, stalling tactics and not being forthright, disparaging another body shop for previous work that was done ("bad paint from a prior repair performed at another shop."). During the last 2 visits I was talking to the owner of the business (Mr. ***** *******) yet he wanted me to wait for his manager to return from vacation. That made no sense for me, as an owner you should be able to make a decision; after all it is your business that is your reputation at stake. There was no response of the owner being unprofessional and calling me a "jerk" and doing so in front of my son. I sense no apology or wrong doing on their part and accepting any responsibility but blaming on myself the customer and other parties. They did state the following:"It is a rule of thumb at our shop to take care of additional dings or dents near the area being repaired, if they are found, at no additional cost to the customer." The "hail damage" as they call it only in the side front fender was not repaired and was brought to their attention and is still being dismissed with their latest response. This in itself shows unprofessionalism and bad customer service during and after the sale.

The shop knew prior to starting the repairs it was not being processed under the insurance company due to the non-blending issues. Also my original quote was done two weeks prior to the actual appointment as I was told " they were slammed" and the date given was a " slow period." The week I brought the car in it was determined three days in we would go with the original plan of me paying out of pocket for the repairs.

One other point I wanted to mention relating to their comment "The customer did not have all the funds to pay his bill". This is BLATANT LIE! I expressed to them I was going to pay in cash. Which I did come back the following day and paid in CASH! ( I would be more then happy to show the invoice that was paid in FULL in CASH). As a matter of fact the owner mentioned sometimes he will photocopy the cash that he tenders. Not sure what point he was trying to make with that statement. Bottom line I don't have confidence in this company any longer and will cease any future business interactions with them. I want the vehicle to be fixed correctly or issue a refund for non completion.

Called customer 8/6/15 left message @ 10:46AM wanted to look at vehicle.
Called customer 8/7/15 Left message @ 12:00PM wanted to look at vehicle.
Customer called 8/10 @ 10:45AM and agreed to meet with Shop Manager on September 10 to look at vehicle and decide on appropriate steps to resolve issues with left fender.

Auto Body Repair & Painting, Auto Repair - Windshield, Glass Shops