BBB Accredited Business since 12/18/2012

Gold Medal Flooring LLC

06/18/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Contractor to install new granite countertops. Contractor hard to contact, only showed up when I personally insisted. Shoddy work and ruined countop
Had contractor come out and bid on replacing kitchen countertop. Accepted bid. Had already picked countertop from ************ and inspected slabs my self. Had them reserved until contractor called for them. Contractor never showed up, phoned, or otherwise contacted for 2-3 weeks. Never gave us a time table or work start or completion date. Had to go to place of business and tell contractor that I was going to put under counter lighting in myself and needed demolition done in the next several days, so lighting contractor could come. Contractor came out and in one day demolished countertops and backsplash, then we never heard from countertop contractor for over a week, leaving us with no kitchen sink or range. Went to contractor and asked that he start countertops as soon as possible. Came out and made template and cut within the next week. Contractor came and put countertops in, but noticed that cabinets on stove side were unlevel. Put sink side down, but took range side countertops back to shop. Contractor said he would contact a cabinet man to level tops, but did not get back to me, so I hired own contractor, then called ct contractor to let know cabinets had been leveled. Sink side countertops had been installed on Wednesday, June 5th. Night after installation I looked at countertops and they were marred, with deep scratches and pits throughout. At first thought this was adhesive clinging to tops, but proved to be chips, gouges, and scratches and cracks throughout the tops. I also noted that the sink had been put in very non professionally, with silicone calk clinging all over the sink, and that the sink had not been completely calked, leaving an open area between the sink and countertop that water could enter and then drip to the cabinet below. Also noticed many rough areas on ogee and that the seam between the two pieces of granite was rasied and very noticeable. All all the edge of the ogee there were rough, unpolished spots, with most being on the dining room/bar side ogee. There was also a large piece of plaster knocked off the wall in the kitchen when the countertops were installed. I called ***** at Gold Medal to see if the tops and ogee could be repolished. He was supposed to come at noon but didn't show up. I had to leave at 5PM. ******* secretary called after 5 to say that he had come by the house but there was no one at home. He was supposed to call me but I never received a call. I called again Tuesday morning and asked him to come out again. He, again was a no show, so at 3PM I left to go to another countertop place to get their opinion as to whether the tops could be polished out. They informed me that after being layed, the tops could not be polished. My wife was distraught, as the tops were absolutely awful. I asked the other contractor if they would take up the job and they agreed. They said that it is the industry standard to refund all the money paid up front if the customer was dissatisfied. I had paid $3,100 up front and was supposed to pay another $3,100 upon completion. I sent a faxed letter to Gold Medal at 11AM 6/12/14 explaining all my complaints and in forming them that I was going to go with another contractor. I asked for a refund of $2,769. This is $3,100 less demo work which I will gladly pay. Also took out $100 for repair to the bedroom wall. ***** at GM called and said he refused to refund my money. It's a little thing really, but my wife is distraught, I am angry, and our house is a mess and we STILL have no countertops, sink, or stove. Very dissatisfied with the customer service and the work done. Very unprofessional!!

Total of $3,124 paid initially on 5/9/14. This represents 1/2 of the total bid cost of $6,248.95. The balance of $3,124.95 was to be paid upon completion and customer satisfaction. I will gladly pay the agreed on cost of demolition ($275 for the counter top tear out and $180 for the backsplash tear out. I have all the materials for the backsplash myself, but will not let this contractor do the backsplash now because of his previous shoddy work.
The countertops are unusable, the sink is unusable, and there are holes in my bedroom wall and kitchen wall from their effort. I am seeking $100 for the cost of repairing the bedroom wall. Total refund I am asking for is $2,769. ($3,124 less $275, less $180, plus the $100), for a total refund of $2,769. The counter top is completely useless to me. The contractor may have it back.

First let us start off by saying this. I hate that this has to come to this but when I called **** to go over a letter he sent to me he would not go over the issues with me he just sent a letter and told another employee that he wanted (his money) back, therefore, he never gave me a opportunity to go over his concerns he just called another company and of course they are going to talk bad about our work because they want to do the job.

1: Home owner hard to reach and never picked up the phone just wanted to email back and forth.
2: **** picked out Quartz counter tops first time out and said he had several people refer him to me. That was the reason he came to my store. Him and his wife decided to switch to granite. At this time he picked his own granite out and told me where it was and what stone they picked out. I gave him a quote on the ones he selected. He replied back and said lets do this. I got with my team to set a time to get them installed told **** and then he said well lets wait I want to get some other work done prior to the countertops. Painting, Electric. Then he asked if I knew people that do these things I said yes and I contacted the people I know and set times up for them to come out then he said he got his own people, so I said great one less thing I have to worry about. Then he decided to get new appliances and had to wait for them to come in. 2 weeks for them to come in. There are your 2 weeks he talked about me not showing up because he said I'll contact you when I get all me ducks in a row. He comes in and says GET MY TOPS PUT IN BY FRIDAY I said **** not sure if I can make that happen but I'll let you know. My guys bust there butt to get them done pushed other jobs to the side to make him happy. Then he decides to wait till next Wednesday. My guys load up to go install the tops. When we get there that's when we find out that his cabinets are out of level. Now we have to wait till he gets his cabinets fix so we can finish the job at this time my guys went ahead and put the top on where the kitchen sink was so he could have a working sink, with this said the job is not complete because the cabinets need to be fixed first. Now this is when he starts complaining about our work. Well of course they don't look good because we have not completed the job we agreed to. I told him to call when he gets the cabinets fixed and we would reschedule to come back out to finish. That is when he decided to call other people to come out and look at what was installed at the time and that is when he decided that our work was not good enough. Well of course it is not, we are not finished. That's when I received the letter that he wanted his money back because we do horrible work. I told him he is not going to get his money back because the tops are finished and ready for the install so I have materials and labor that I have to still pay for and what he paid half down with was still not enough to pay what I have invested in his job. I told him if he didn't want me to finish he still owes me money to help cover what has been done in the price of 1,895.50$. I took the amount of money owed less what wasn't finished and that's how I came up with that price. Ps. I would be more than happy to finish what we started, then look at our work and if your not happy then lets talk about your concerns so we can make it right. Thanks *****

1. I was always able to be reached at my cell phone number at anytime.
2. I had bought appliances but just not had them delivered prior to talking the first time to ***. I knew that the counter top had to be installed first.
3. When an occasion arrived that I needed outside help (plumbing, electrical, leveling the cabinets) ******** answer was that he would contact his people and get them out there to do the job. I would never hear back from him, so after several days, I would find my own people, and pay them myself. At no time was *** left out of the loop.
4. After paying down 1/2 of the bid price, after nothing had been done for one month, I went to *** to tell them that I had an electrician coming to put undercounter lighting and that I needed demolition of the tile backsplash and existing countertops before he could put the new lights in. I told *** that this was my #1 priority and that the counter tops could wait until the demo was done and that I was not in a hurry for the tops at the time.
5. I checked several times with ************ to see if the stone had been picked up. This went on for almost a month. At one time I told ***** that if he could not complete the counter tops in a timely manner than I wanted my money back. He agreed that he would and I did not ask for a refund at that time.
6. I had two consecutive slabs of Star Beach granite picked out at ******. I had looked at both pieces, and run my hands and fingernails over both. At that time, there were no visible flaws or chips in the tops.
7. I went out to *** to check on the progress of the granite and was told that it was being cut at the time. I went out to the back and watched some of the stone being cut. I was told at that time that both installers would be taking off the next Wednesday to go on vacation.
8. I was told that the stone would be laid the following week. The installers did not show up on Monday or Tuesday, and did not call to tell me they were coming. At approximately 12:30 on Wednesday afternoon, the installers arrived. The put the sink side stone down and installed the double sink. At that time, I did notice several mars on the top, but thought it was adhesive/glue from the sink install.
9. The installers tried to place the stove side stone, but encountered problems with the cabinets. When I walked in from my office, I was told that they could not lay this stone, and would have to take it back to the shop. The lead installer said that he would talk to ***** and see about getting someone out to level the cabinets.
10. The lead installer told me that he was leaving on vacation the next day, and that he really shouldn't be there, that he should be home packing. He seemed very rushed and ready to leave
11.When ***** did not call me back within 48 hours, I started calling cabinet makers and found a man who came out and leveled the cabinets within one day, on Friday.
12. Over the weekend, my wife and I began to notice scars, cracks, and chips in the top of the granite. We used a wet rag to try to clean the surface, but to no avail. Needless to say, my wife and I were distraught. We started looking closer and noticed that the ogee was unpolished and rough, both on top and underneath, and that there were several large spots on the dining side of the edge of the ogee that appeared to have been puttied and left rough. We then noticed that the sink was not fully calked underneath, and was not sealed appropriately. Any use of water would have resulted in water leaking to the underside of the sink.
13. We took many photographs of the work and have them in our possession.
13. On the following Monday, I called ***** to tell him that the stove side cabinets had been leveled and that I wanted him to come out and tell me if he thought the rough spots could be polished out of the granite top. He agreed to come out at noon. I stayed at home Monday morning to be there when he came, but he was a no show, and did not call to tell me he was not coming. I stayed until 5:30PM then had to leave.
14. Tuesday morning, I again called ***** and asked him to come out....I was anxious to see if the tops could be polished out. He agreed to come out, but gave to time. I waited until approximately 2PM, then decided to seek other professional help as to whether they thought the tops could be polished out. I consulted 3 different contractors, all of whom said that the tops were polished when the slab was cut, and there could be no more polishing done.
15. Gold Medal's job and customer service is apalling!!! I have never been treated so poorly. At no time have I ever pushed, nor raised my voice, nor been anything but cordial. I have ***** and second chance when I obviously should not have. ***** job is totally unacceptable.
16. I do not want this company lifting another finger at my house. I have contracted with another company to finish the job and to lay new counter tops. I am left with no sink, no stove, one side of the kitchen with no counter tops at all, demolished board where the backsplash was, scarred, pitted, and cracked granite, and essentially an unusable kitchen.
17. If I do not receive a check in the full amount listed in the complaint within one week, I will sue, not only for this amount, but for damages, loss of wages and time (I am a relief pharmacist), and general aggravation.
18. I have been more than kind and understanding throughout this ordeal. My wife was so looking forward to having a new kitchen. That's the thing I am most upset about.
19. I would never think of allowing this company back into my house under any circumstances. I can't imagine them doing any work for me again.

Floor Materials - Retail, Marble & Granite Installation, Stonework Fabrication, Countertops, Countertop - Fabrication, Contractors - Flooring, Floor Coverings & Installation