Arkansas

BBB Accredited Business since 06/15/2000

Handyman Connection of Northwest Arkansas

05/07/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was charged for work that was not done. The work was expected to have to be done but when the carpet was ripped up it did not have to be done.
An employee (*****) came to my house to discuss removing and replacing the sub-floor in my daughters bedroom, we talked about all the issues that could arise. I asked that he give me a worst case estimate so we would have that much available for the repair but that we hoped it would come in cheaper. He said he would and try to get me the best price possible. We discussed hourly not to exceed. My husband and I both remember the same thing that the final cost was going to be based upon what was found and the actual work done.

I got the estimate and scheduled the work, I was told it would take 2 days (16 hours) was what they had it scheduled for. ***** and the worker showed up at the house 4-18-14. I was told by ***** that if we took care of the construction cleanup it would save us money. ***** got the worker started and left. So my daughter and I picked up the pieces of carpet, padding and wood as the worker threw them out of the house and disposed of them. He showed me an area where the previous owner had already replaced the sub-floor and he would not have to do anything, it was about 10% of the total size of the job and this area would have been the hardest to replace.

He finished the work in about 9 hours at my house with a couple hours break to go get materials at Lowe's about 10 miles away. When he gave me the bill it was just the estimate and I was confused and asked about why he was not charging me for what work he had actually done. He said this was not a job that he estimated and this is what he had been given and told to charge me. That he would not have done it this way but that he was just doing what he was told. I pointed out 3 times that he was charging me for the floor that he did not replace and he kept saying yes, I did not have to replace that floor, it saved you money. I asked him how and he said materials and labor. I pointed out no, it did not save me anything, it is on the bill.

I accepted that he was just doing his job and would call the office the next day. I was informed they do not charge by the hour, but by the job. I went round and round about the fact that my daughter and I did part of the man's job with the understanding that it was saving us money; and that we were charged for replacing sub-floor, that was never replaced.

They came back with that they had charged us according to the estimate and they wanted me to be happy so they offered my a coupon of $25 off of future work.

I can provide email correspondence with them, if needed. As well as a detailed drawings of the area of flooring that they charged us for replacing, but that they actually did not replace.

I still am amazed at this experience, I have never had anyone who has given me an estimate expect me to pay them the estimate price instead of the actual work done. I have talked to several people at work and their thought is the same as mine that you pay for the actually work that was done.

That is all I wanted, a fair bill based on the actual work that was done.

I want a refund of $140 for the area of sub-flooring that was not replaced. This amount is based on another area of flooring (closet) that was billed separately and was about the same amount of square footage.

And one heck of an apology for the fact that my daughter and I were used as laborers so that the contractor did not have to clean up his own mess. Yes, there should be some refund for this but I do not have any idea what would be fair. We were flat out lied to on this item.

No I do not want coupons since I will never use this company again.

It is always the desire of Handyman Connection to have our customers satisfied with our service.

Please accept our apologies for any clean up that you and your daughter had to do on your project.

Handyman Connection has been in business since 1999. ***** has worked with us since 2008 and never in our history have we priced our jobs by the hour. Our model is built on a "job price". Our estimate with the job price becomes a contract when signed. (I can provide signed copy if needed). Having said that, it is not our desire to argue with you.

We will mail you a check in the amount of $140. Acceptance of this payment is to satisfy any and all complaints stemming from this project and you are agreeing that all work is complete.

Again, we regret that you were not pleased with our service and that there were any miscommunication or misunderstanding.

11/08/2013Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Materials used were lowest quality, Since installation more damage has recurred, promise not true, new flooring warped, told I am to "eat" the cost.
In 2007 *** Handy man Connection, did a wonderful job remodeling our house.
2012 we called them again to do smaller renovation. The quality was not what I wanted. Flooring was far inferior to the first job, ( we gave them serial numbers, etc from old job) they used a product nearly cardboard, the floor trim was compressed cardboard. On installation the trim did not fit exactly and craftsman recalled 2 times and still is was not fixed. A repair was to be made to MBR door, as it leaked and rotted from the door, now sides of door moldy, and is creeping in to MBR walls, first job improperly sealed. Now the MBR flooring by the door has warped and is in need of replacement. Threshold has rotted out on same door. Threshold in main entry remains unrepaired.
In reasonable time Within the first year, (2007 job), craftsman came but issues were not resolved.
The 2012 job was awful as written above.

I was told by ***** ********, the owner, that he would agree to fix the problems. He came to our home to see for himself. He agreed with me about the damage. We went to *** office in Springdale, AR and spoke directly with him, and he said he would fix the problems.
Craftspeople seemed positive.
*** owner a liar.
Shortly after the 2012 job was done I called and asked about the repairs as earlier promised and was told I would have to "eat" the repairs.
So now I have mold in the MBR, a rotted door, thresholds that are no good, and ramps (handicapped) that are falling off.

I just want the repairs to be done to my satisfaction as promised.

To Whom It May Concern:

In response to the complaint issued by this customer. The first job completed for her was in 2009. She provided a list of materials that she wanted used in her home and Handyman Connection submitted that list in writing as required by the VA for approval. The French door in the master bedroom was installed in 2009. She called stating the door was leaking and while doing additional work for her in 2012 the door threshold and rotted **** were replaced. (This was 3 years after the door had been installed initially).
Once again, in 2012, as mentioned by the customer, she provided serial numbers for the materials she wanted used in her home and those were submitted in writing to the VA and approved. After the completion of the job in 2012 a certified VA inspection was completed and she signed off on the work.
The VA has very strict guidelines for the work that is done for their clients and Handyman Connection met those requirements in each job completed for this customer, as well as many other VA clients. Funds for the job were held in escrow and not paid until client and inspector had signed off.
I think the real problem here is the use of the motorized wheelchair over these transitioned areas. Because a repair was needed on the doorway installed in 2009 by 2012, it would seem that on-going maintenance is going to be necessary because of this use. Maybe this doorway needs to be re-sealed (caulked) yearly to prevent leakage or even replaced on a regular basis.
As far as the rotted **** on the door and the wheel chair ramp, any **** product subject to weather is going to rot over time. Those areas were repaired in 2012. It has now been just over a year since those repairs were made.
In reference to her comment about her conversation with the owner: ***** ******** conveyed to the customer is that if she wanted to provide replacement materials we would work with her to provide the labor to repair at a reduced cost but that this was not warranty because it was a product issue and not a workmanship issue.
While we regret that she is dissatisfied with Handyman Connection, it is our opinion that these are normal material weathering issues and issues caused by her wheel chair not workmanship issues caused by Handyman Connection. I am happy to provide a copy of the form sent to the VA with stated materials and also a copy of our terms as it relates to their being no warranty on materials by request.

Construction & Remodeling Services, Handyman Services, Patio & Deck Builders, Painting Contractors, Drywall Contractors, Carpenters, Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling