BBB Accredited Business since 01/01/1922

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (Headquarters)

496 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 162 closed in last 12 months

08/01/2014Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation not consistent with advertisement

Complaint: ****************
Filed for a Rebate. Waited 6-8 weeks. 10-Weeks no Refund
I went online "Claim still in process"
All docs have been e-mailed.
****************
Purchased 4 new tires on 04/15/2014
Filled out forms For rebate and send in all docs.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to this customer complaint. We have have verified that his rebate card has not been used and are requesting a check for the $60.00 rebate to which he is entitled.

08/01/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: On 12/12/13,I took my Ford F150 1998 truck to the Goodyear located at 5406 Indian Head Highway in Oxon Hill, Md. to have my tires replaced. However, I was told by ************* that I needed upper and lower ball joints and a front end alignment. He also said that there were other items that needed to be replaced. After this work was completed I had to take my truck back because the work was not done properly. I took my truck back several times because I was not satisfied and it was still having problems. From 1/29/14 to 4/18/14, the mechanic at Goodyear told me to replace parts that I did not need. I drove around in my truck which was making a loud squeaking sound in the wheel area. I took my truck back to have this fixed but I got no satisfaction, only another bill. On another occasion, I took my truck back and found out that the technician had forgotten to assemble my part correctly and the caused my truck to run rough for several weeks.
Product_Or_Service: computerized engine analysis
Order_Number: *******

On 7/16/14, the Bureau received the following from the business via email:

Mr. ******,

Please see attached; Goodyear's response to Mr. ******'s BBB Complaint.

This claim has been resolved.

****

Akron, OH 44303-2111

RE: Mr. ******* ******
BBB Complaint Case ##:*********

Mr. ******,

We are in receipt of your recent letter to advise us of Mr. ******* ******'s complaint.
Our goal at Goodyear is to have satisfied customers, and claim evaluation and payment decisions are, therefore, not taken lightly.

Goodyear has offered to refund Mr. ****** $86.91 for a sensor replacement needed due to work done incorrectly; failure to reconnect a hose. Goodyear has also offered labor expenses of $134.60 for ignition wires that Mr. ****** claims were unnecessary. Mr. ****** has accepted Goodyear's offer of $221.51. A check has been requested to be mailed to Mr. ****** and should be received within 7-10 business days. This claim has been resolved.

If you are in need of further assistance, you may contact us during normal business hours at 1-800-321-2136.

**** ******

07/29/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: To whom it may concern,I am writing this complaint because I had a recent oil change done at Goodyear which unfortunately resulted in my vehicle being damaged at the gear shifting indicator(keep in mind that my car passed a diagnostic check at Autozone and Gilbert's Garage, and only needed new tires). When I addressed the issue with an employee at Goodyear he stated he was told that the linkage was broke. This made me angry to the point that I had to speak to the manager who then had noticed that the linkage was not broke(but the gear shift indicator cover was damaged) and also, that no one noted on my SERVICE INVOICE anything about a broken linkage or brake fluid leak. My invoice does mention a need for tires, which was expected. So I eventually leave (even more upset) and I later inspect my vehicle and to my surprise I notice that brake fluid had leaked from the rear passenger tire, which I felt was strange considering that my brakes were done a few weeks prior, at Gilbert's Auto Garage, with no problems noted. I spoke to some friends of mine about this issue and I was informed of the others who had been serviced at Goodyear and unsatisfied as well. It is my honest opinion that people who go to this particular Goodyear are being ripped off. This place advertises low priced oil changes and services to tamper with customers vehicles, in order to get more money out of customers.
Product_Or_Service: Oil change/lead to other damages
Order_Number: 193187
Account_Number: *********

To Whom It May Concern:

The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company has reviewed this complaint and has been in contact with the Complainant. As of this reply, we are waiting on additional documentation from the Complainant. Once we receive the additional documentation, we will contact the customer with the goal of reaching a favorable resolution for both parties.

If you need additional information, please contact me at ******************************

07/21/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Had my oil changed and the mechanic did not replace plug properly and oil leaked back out causeing damage to oil pump.
I am writing to you at this time regarding services that I received from the Marlow Heights Service Center located at 4107 Branch Avenue, Marlow Heights, Maryland 20748-1713, ************. I took my 2005 Chevy Tahoe to this location to have the oil changed only. That was the only problem with exception of the Check Engine light being on. The reason for this light being on is that there is a leak in an air hose which needs to be replaced.

After having my oil changed in the vehicle and I'm driving home, I began to hear a tapping and rattling noise from my engine and also my truck started to jerk. I called back once I had gotten home and advised a young lady at that location what I was experiencing. She was very rude and disrespectful and told me that only thing that could be done was to bring the truck back leave it and they would take care of it when they had a chance because appointments come first.

The next day when I took my truck back to the center, I was treated very rude and disrespectfully face to face with the same young lady to whom I had spoken to on the telephone the previous day. I was afraid to drive the vehicle to work with all the noise it was making so I went back after work. I was told at this time @ 3:48 pm that there was no one available to work on my vehicle because all the mechanics were on the way home. The store does not close until 6:00 pm. So why is that when a customer comes to have their vehicle check the mechanics can not or will not wait on customers because they are trying to go home. I was told to come back the next day to which I did, having to loose a day of work, I work for a federal law enforcement agency, which my time is very necessary and just as important as theirs. In addition I am a female and a Senior Citizen and I am also disabled. It is an unnecessary inconvenience for me to keep riding back and forth and arguing trying to get the proper service that I originally brought my vehicle in for.

I was told that the reason my vehicle was making the noises and hesitating was because I needed a new OIL PUMP. It was nothing wrong with my OIL PUMP prior to my bringing it in for an oil change. After calling to file a complaint I was told that the inspector could not find any thing wrong with my vehicle. I have the old OIL PUMP that was removed and the mechanic drained the oil out and put new oil in. The rude person in your Damage Claims Department called me and never identified herself but gave me a file #********** (see attached document) and told me that prior to the inspector responding Goodyear would not be able to assist me. According to the mechanic (**********************) it appeared that the vehicle had been started up without oil being pumped into the engine. (******************
****************************************************************
So it appears to me that I have to pay $973.00 for repairs to my vehicle to which I was only expecting to pay only approximately $49.00 - $65.00.

I feel that Goodyear should be at least responsible if not for all but for half of the bill.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could have some one to contact Clinton Auto Body or myself (************) regarding my damages.

Our office sent a third party inspector out to look at the customer's vehicle, but the repairs were already completed. With out specific evidence to indicate the Goodyear store contributed to the customer's claim we were not able to help.

07/11/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior repair

Complaint: Dropped off car in good condition for transmission flush, picked up car, drove it on 6/15 and transmission failed & barely made it back to Goodyear.
Dropped off 2011 Malibu on 6/13 for transmission flush and oil change. It was in running great, time for pre-emptive maintenance, oil change and transmission flush.

Picked up car that afternoon and drove home(8 miles). Fathers Day 6/15, in the a.m. heading for lowes, the transmission started slipping in all gears. Got it to Goodyear. Service Tech, ****, took car in bay with other techs pushing because gears didn't work. Put on lift, pulled plug to check fluid level. The fluid that came out was black and **** commented, "This ain't right" and put the plug back, lowered the car, and checked the codes. He said codes indicated the transmission needs to be replaced. I checked with Serv Mgr. *****, at ******************** in *********,NC and ********************************, SC about what happened and their opinions where that a transmission flush would not cause a failure and the fluid would be RED NOT BLACK. In their opinions, Goodyear had to do something wrong.

Store Manager, *****, took no responsibility for the transmission failing. I left the fully operational car for maintenance. I expect to get the car back in the same or better running order NOT ruined transmission. He said he was going to look into it because he is a master mechanic and one of his techs used to work for Chevolet and said the Malibu bad transmissions. Talked to ***** at ********************, and he said that 2011 did not have recalls for failure of this kind. His opinion was that Goodyear did something wrong to cause transmission to have black(NO RED)fluid and to fail.

***** said he just flushed it again to get rid of the black fluid but it made no improvement. ***** said that he spoke to a lady service manager at ************** on ***************** in *********, NC and she said that City would replace the transmission for free under warranty based the vin #. My wife called, this lady **** said she spoke with him and never told him that it would be replaced. They would look at it and possibly submit it to the warranty dept.

Goodyear still has my car because I will not take it back in this condition.

Goodyear needs to take responsibility and put the car back in the original operating condition which was a great running car.

On 6/20/14, the Bureau received the following from the business via email:

*****,

Here is update pertaining to customer Mr. ***************, i called ************** and the vehicle is under warranty through the dealership, and is confirmed to be handled through **********. I called customer left message referring customer to see **** in the service dept to get their vehicle handled under per warranty. I will be closing and filing this away on our end. Thank you, Have a great weekend!

*************
Customer Relations Rep
200 Innovation Way. Akron
Ohio 44316
1-************

07/31/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Improper or inferior service

Complaint: I took my car in for an inspection. They chipped and scratched my car paint. No one will call me back.
A safety inspection was done on my 2008 Tiburon. When I walked out to get in my car I immediately noticed a chip of paint off the edge of the wheel well. (it was black and my car is silver) Upon closer inspection I saw there was also a scratch about 2 to 3 inches long. I went in and told the guy at the service desk. She shrugged and said they couldn't have done it. I asked him to at least look at it. He then asked the technician and he denied doing it. I left angry. I then looked at my inspection sheet and noticed that was the wheel that was removed for the break inspection. I then went back and asked that they do something. They told me to go buy a bottle of touch up paint and they would pay for that. I then called the corporate office and was told unless the claim was for over $750 I had to deal with the store. They took my information a week ago and NO ONE from the store has contacted me. I can't believe these cowards try to take advantage of women by damaging their property and then refusing to even acknowledge their existence. Most women would probable give up and they are hoping I have to. DO NOT USE THIS BUSINESS IF YOU ARE A WOMAN.

On 6/4/14, the Bureau received the following from the business via email:

Hi *****,

I spoke to the store mgr. *****, at our GASC#4353. He says, that his boss, the DMR, ***** ********* has tried to call this customer at least 4xs. to discuss. He has not been able to reach her.

We have the vehicle inspection sheet which shows that the scratch in question was marked. As cust. sat, we offered to reimburse customer for the touch-up paint that she requested they buy.

According to this complaint, customer is asking for a profession paint job. The next step will be for the customer to get an estimate of how much this will be and submit. We will review and get back to you.

Thanks!

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
I was being sarcastic when I said the store could at least buy be a tube of touch up paint when the man behind the counter just shrugged when I asked what he was going to do to resolve the problem.

As far as anyone contacting me. I have voice mail and never received any message from anyone from Goodyear. I work at a company that does not allow cell phones to be used during working hours. I can return a call on my lunch break or after work.

Since my only fault is using Goodyear, I believe my car should be restored to the condition it was in before I took it to their shop. I have gone to a auto body repair shop an obtained an estimate. I was told touch up would be very noticeable and not look very good. The shop said the only way to restore it was to remove the bumper and repaint it. I have attached a copy of the estimate.

Received from business on 7/2/14, via email:

Hi *****,

Wanted to make sure you got this. I also called the ******** this morning to see if the customer had dropped off any estimates. The store mgr. is out till this Wed. and the assoc. I spoke to, *****, was unaware if she had.

Have a good day!

My estimate is attached to my last response to the BBB. I don't live in Springfield and don't feel like I should have to drive there to hand deliver the estimate I've already sent to you. I have had zero contact with Goodyear after their customer service told me the manager would call me. If someone would ever contact me I could email the estimate or mail it directly to them.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined the company made a reasonable offer to resolve the issues, but the consumer did not accept the offer.

04/24/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: I was at the Fall AACA Hersyey meet and had a break issue with my pick up truck. I took it to Goodyear at a scheduled appointment on 10/6/11 at 7:05 am. I had a friend come and pick me up at 8:45 am and the truck was still sitting outside. I was called at 9:51 am and informed the truck was finished. My guess it was in the repair shop being worked o for 1 hour. I was billed for 7 hours labor, and overcharged on the parts by 30%. I complained at the time of pick up as to being charged for 7 hours labor for one hour work. Invoice # 163250

This reply is in regards to a customer named **** ******. He is claiming that it didn't take our store as long as it said on the invoice to do the work they did. I called the customer and explained that our stores do not charge real time for work that it performed on jobs, they charge a flat labor rate that is set by either Mitchell On Demand, or Chilton's, which are programs that set the Factory Standards. These 2 programs are used by a number of Automotive Repair Companies all over the U.S. If the job had taken a lot longer to do, the store would not have charged him more for the extra hours, just the same for the job being performed. If you have any questions, we can be reached at ************** 8:30-5:45 PM EST Mon-Fri. When you call, use the reference number of *******

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Common sense dictates if it only one hour to replace a set of break pads, you do not charge for 6 hours of labor. Yet that I was told is Goodyears policy, as they simply take advantage of a situation. They claim they go by a labor book that states how long it takes to replace two break pads, and even though it says 6 hours at $90.00 to replace them and it takes a hour, they charge for 6 hours. The Mechanic only gets paid his hourly rate. Plus I was not given an estimate. Knowing that I was out of State, Pennsylvania, and live in Ohio when I complained about the charge they would not release my truck. I feel that Goodyear took advantage of me.

Furthermore, this claim was filed 4 years ago and many calls made to this dealer in Hummelstown PA proved nothing. I sent a claim to Corporate in Akron and it took the BB action for them to call me. Told me they cannot do a thing. Fine Company to deal with. It proves that they do not care about the customer, only cashing this customer out.

Received from the business via email on 4/22/14:

04/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Defective, damaged, or incorrect product received

Complaint: Disappointed in Goodyear tires purchased 12/7/12 for my 2008 Chevy Malibu:(4) 225/50R17 94V SL Assurance Fuel Max TL. Replaced 3 so far!
Very disappointed in the Goodyear tires I purchased Dec. 7, 2012, for my 2008 Chevy Malibu: four 225/50R17 94V SL Assurance Fuel Max TL tires at a cost of $661.09. Within 3 wks after the tires were installed, I had to replace all four of my tire sensors. Within the last 13 months, I've had to replace THREE of the four tires; i.e., two replaced 11/11/13 due to cupping on inside of tires, the most recent replacement was today replace for a bulge/broken belt. Nervous about something happening to the fourth time soon. I have a 35 minute commute to/from work daily on interstate, take excellent care in maintaining my car and am appalled to think the Goodyear tires have caused such a ridiculous expense - not to mention a great inconvenience. When these tires wear out, I will no longer purchase Goodyear brand. Unbelievable: $1400+ expense for poor quality Goodyear tires.

*******,

We have proposed a final resolution to customer ****** ********* regarding this BBB complaint file, which the resolution is still pending with the customer. We will notify you when the final resolution proposal is accepted by the customer.

*************
Customer Service
******************
**************************

Initial Consumer Rebuttal
Goodyear Customer Service has not taken my claim seriously and has offered an insulting amount of $237 to settle the claim - three tires of my four new tires were deemed unfit/unsafe for the road and have had to be replaced at considerable inconvenience, safety issues and money. I anticipate the fourth tire requiring replacement soon as it is not maintaining proper tire pressure. There are several complaints on the web about this particular tire - evidencing the same issues I've experienced (uneven, undue wear, tire bulges, severe road noise, etc.) Goodyear has made no comment, nor have they expressed any concerns about, the defective nature of this tire model. Very disappointed in Goodyear's lack of concern for customer satisfaction, lack of concern for customer safety, product defects and failure to apologize for inconvenience. I would appreciate anything you can do to urge Goodyear to get serious with their review of this issue and provide me with the appropriate remedy of $661 which is much less than my actual tire-related repairs. Thank you. ****** *********

Mr. ******,

Goodyear has received the customer's response.

Goodyear is always concerned when our services or products do not exceed our customer's expectations.

Goodyear understands that the customer is not accepting our goodwill offer of $237.36.

Goodyear is still waiting for the inspection results from an authorized Goodyear location to see what assistance we can provide for the 4th tire.

If the customer has any questions or concerns she is welcome to contact me directly at (330) ********.

******************
Consumer Relations
*********
InnoSource / Goodyear
Office Phone# ************
Fax# ************
*******************************

Negotiations continue. I am not satisfied with the direction or stance Goodyear is taking with my claim, but am awaiting results of an inspection of the fourth tire purchased from GreensFork. I should have had 65,000 miles of wear from the new tires (per Goodyear's rating) - not 25,000 miles. For this reason, i believe Goodyear owes me 2/3 of the replacement cost for the three tires, as well as any additional compensation depending on the results of the fourth tire's inspection. Goodyear has yet to provide me with a written basis for its calculation of its settlement offer. Further, I explained to Goodyear that when its customers (a loyal one in this case) experience tire issues that are deemed unsafe, the customer has no other recourse than to remedy the situation at its local dealer. Upon replacement of the tires at my local auto dealership, it is my belief that the dealership's comments on the tire replacement invoice were sufficient to explain the need for early replacement of the tires. Very disappointed with Goodyear's lack of concern for customer safety, satisfaction, expense and inconvenience.
****** *********

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

01/07/2014Guarantee / Warranty Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Guarantee or Warranty Complaint Issue

Complaint: 75,000 miles Dunlop Tires lost thread within 29,000 miles on it even with tires rotation and wheels balanced as recommended by Dunlop and******.
I bought a set of Dunlop Signature 195 60/R15 88T M+S DOT (1) MKRB 1XHR 2011 AND (3) MKRB 1XHR 2111, this is for my 2008 Ford Focus. The milage on the car when I bought was 59486 in 01/18/2012 at****** in Salt Lake City -UT PO# ******. The actual milage is close to 86,000. I went to****** and told them about my complaint ( loose thread very soon ), they verified that and they do agree with me. Them they explain to me, after a kind of warranty calculation, that they can give me US$ 125,00 as a credit for a tires replacement, that means I have to buy a new ones. I disagree because this Dunlop tires are 75,000 miles and they just are gone at 29,000 miles. After leaving****** without any solution I did a call to Dunlop and they told same warranty calculations as******. I am using any communications network to attention.

Just to update you, we have not heard back from this cutomer since I called him on November 15, 2013. I left him a v.m. and asked him to call us so we can direct him into an authorized Goodyear dealer for inspection.

**************
Consumer Relations Rep.
200 Innovation Way, Akron, OH 44316

I spoke with ******* but I decided to not accepted her offer. The tires that I bought at ***** was 75,000 miles warranty but she said that it is 65,000 warranty. I do have a ***** invoice saying 75,000. I do not agree to pay anything. If they can't replaced those tires it is up to them. Michelin Tires start a recall months ago with same problem as I have on my tires now, lost of tread. If I don't trust in Dunlop warranty, why I have to put Dunlop tires on my car again? Make no sense to me. As I wrote you before **** I do decide to report those defects to US Dept. of Transportation. I am not sure if that tire lot is safe and is my obligation to report it. Like I said my wife is a Nanny and she is transporting a little boy every day. My concern about her job turns in a very bad money spending. ******* never told to replace those tires without any cost, I have to pay least $300.00 at ***** to have and accepted Dunlop offer. No way.
Sincerely
********

We have gone above and beyond on the warranty for this customer. I have also offered to reimburse him his mount and balance charges for the new tires. He declined. We are not doing anything further.

Thanks,

**************
Consumer Relations Rep.

12/23/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Repairs resulted in additional damage

Complaint: Locked brake caliper after brake pad replacement
Sequence of events

1. 8/10/13 AM - the car was brought to GOODYEAR ******************************** location because the break light does not go off (Invoice ***************). Brakes were inspected (Invoice ***************). Brake light switch module was replaced (Invoice ****************). In addition, front brake service was performed and two front brake pads were replaced (Invoice ***************). However, two front brake calipers were NOT listed as having problem. The total charge was $508.05

2. 8/11/13 PM - The car stopped moving in the middle of a busy road while smoke was noticed from left front side of the car. 911 call was made. *********************** from GOODYEAR ************* location was contacted by phone. The car was towed back to GOODYEAR ************* location. Odometer recorded 9 additional miles at this time; this included the mileage from the test drive done by GOODYEAR the day before.

3. 8/12/13 AM - Shawn Otero, the store manager at the GOODYEAR ******************************** location, stated that the accident was caused by left front brake caliper locking up. GOODYEAR replaced left front brake caliper and left front brake hose (Invoice *************** and *******) as well as the ones on the right. The total charge was $770.30.

4. 10/2/13 - ************ from GOODYEAR Consumer Relations stated in a response letter that "as a 'Goodwill' gesture, GOODYEAR did offer a refund of $206 (the labor on the brake caliper installation) because of the inconvenience to the customer"

Reasons for dispute

1. In the response letter provided by GOODYEAR, it was stated that the locked caliper is "not something caused by the location". Brake caliper and brake pad are connected to each other. Replacement of brake pad, done by GOODYEAR ************* location on 8/10/13, requires re-installation of brake caliper. Improper brake caliper installment with over-tightening is a major cause of locked brake caliper. While GOODYEAR ************* location may not intentionally cause the brake caliper to lock when they re-installed the brake pad and brake caliper on 8/10/13, but the fact is that the statement "locked caliper... is not something caused by the location" is incorrect

2. Brake calipers are connected to brake pads. Replacement of brake pad requires re-installment of brake caliper. There's no reason that the brake caliper was not part of the work when brake pad was replaced by GOODYEAR ************* location on 8/10/13. GOODYEAR ************* location failed to identify problem with brake caliper when performing brake inspection, brake service, and brake pad replacement on 8/10/13 - if improper brake caliper installment is not the cause for locked caliper

3. In the response letter provided by GOODYEAR, it was stated a $206 refund on labor cost was offered because of the" inconvenience to the customer" and the locked caliper is not something that "could have been foreseen". Unfortunately, while waiting for the police car and later the tow truck on 8/11/13 in the middle of a busy intersection with a smoked car, a 90 plus degree weather, and two elderly passengers, the situation was not safe. "Inconvenience" is an understatement and an "unforeseen" event should not mean threat to life.

Customer has been issued as a goodwill a credit of $206.00.The brake calipers locking up was not part of the original repair on August 10,2013 and is a different issue and not the fault of Goodyear Auto Service Center

The brake caliper locking is either due to improper installment from the original brake repair on August 10, 2013 or missed inspection of brake caliper during the brake examination and repair on August 10, 2013. Brake caliper is not a different issue from brake. Brake caliper is part of the brake. The fault, intentionally or not intentionally, is Goodyear's. This fault has led to a situation not safe on the road. The $206.00 reimbursement has covered the cost for labor but not parts.

Our position is to review the customer concern and all documents pertaining to the visit/s. which we have done. The failure of the calipers is nothing to do with the brake rotor replacement goodyear auto service did prior to that. Although it is no fault of Goodyear Auto Service Center as a resolution and a goodwill we have credited the customer credit card the labor fee for the installation of the calipers. No further refund would be issued.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outside BBB Rules of Arbitration.

09/10/2013Problems with Product / Service
07/08/2013Problems with Product / Service
06/19/2013Advertising / Sales Issues
06/03/2013Problems with Product / Service
05/01/2013Problems with Product / Service

Tire Distributors & Manufacturers, Auto Repair & Service - Equipment & Supplies, Tire Retread & Repair, Auto Repair & Service, Tire Dealers