BBB Accredited Business since 03/18/2011

Wiese Plumbing and Heating Co.

10 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

05/09/2016Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

No estimate provided, price gouging, did not complete previous work on sump pump, refused to complete water tank replacement.
April 20th 2016 used ******************** to request service for a leaking hot water tank. Wiesel was assigned to me. Had performed work previously thought it was okay to utilize their services again. Called for same day service so I left work to meet the at my home. Tech explained HWT would need to be replaced and a permit pulled to complete the work. explained sump pump kept running because whomever installed it failed to install the required shut off valve. All water pumping out was coming back into the house making it run constantly. Explained Wiesel, his company installed the Sump Pump. Said he would take care of it. Paid my $75 service fee. AHS was replacing HWT for free. Wiesel said would install in 48 hours. Office called back to schedule for Friday. Asked for afternoon appointment since I could not leave work again. Said no, would need to be a 8am appointment otherwise no install. No flexibility. My 73 yr old mother could let them in but I did not feel comfortable with that. No weekend appointments available. Asked about $360 estimate I received a voice mail about. Inquired about the charges. Stated permit is $100. I work for the county and the permit is only $34.00 she said the client always has the option to pick up their own permits if desired. Was never told that as there was never a written estimate. Told her I felt they were price gouging and not flexible with their scheduling as well as unprofessional by not providing a written estimate, completing the sump pump work they were fully paid for nor were they willing to complete the HWT work they were being paid by ******************** to perform. She was not interested in helping nor passing my concerns on to anyone who would be able to help me.

refund the $75 I paid or come out to the home and complete the Sump Pump work as well as the Hot Water Tank work they were supposed to complete and do so when there will be an adult around other than my elderly, disabled mother.

*** is a home warranty company that requires the customer to pay their deductible on the first visit which in this case was $75. This fee is just for us coming to the home to diagnose and is in the signed agreement between the home owner and ***.
Wiese is always flexible with their scheduling, however *** requires work to be performed during normal business hours, not after work or on sat unless the customer wants to pay the over time charges, which she did not.
Wiese works for *** and thus we report to them our diagnosis and charges for the repairs and replacements. *** then determines what is and what is not covered by the customer's contract. They (***) in turn contact the customer regarding the non-covered charges prior to giving Wiese approval to go ahead with the repair or replacement.
Permit pricing varies for each county, in which this case is $35. Our price also includes office time to pull the permit and to set up the inspection. Working time is chargeable time.
In regards to the sump pump, we replaced her existing sump pump. A home warranty company replaces apples to apples so to speak. If there was not an existing check valve we would have not replaced one in the first place.
As far as performing the work, Wiese does this for a living. Just like any business, as long as we are paid we are happy to perform the work. in this case, she was not happy with what her home warranty company was not covering and told us not to come to her home.

I am not sure why your response wasn't truthful, it is sad and unfortunate. Your company already refused to complete my install which is why I placed the BBB complaint, breach of contract. I complained to ******************** and they offered to call Wiese on my behalf to get me scheduled even though I already told them you wouldn't come out. They assured me your company was under contract as a provider and I had nothing to worry about. When ******************** placed me on hold to schedule my install appointment with your company for noon Friday April 29, 2016 they clicked over and told me Wiese confirmed my appointment which was shocking to me since the customer service rep previously stated installs were only completed 8am first appointment any day even though I told your worker I could not have anyone home until noon any day at the earliest. When the 29th fell and Wiese was 45 minutes late I called them directly to inquire. They reiterated they will not service my address due to the BBB claim and the Wiese worker who scheduleded the appointment for Friday at noon did not know about my complaint when she confirmed the appointment with ********************. I was told by Wiese that they had called *** to cancel the appointment and that it had been ***'s responsibility to call me to let me know Wiese would not be out. I was told *** dropped the ball. I contacted *** who contacted Wiese about the appointment. *** told me Wiese was refusing to come out. I had to wait for a process that entailed the contracts department from *** contacting Wiese and asking them to honor their contract with *** and render services. Again they declined and I don't know what ramifications there were if any for refusing to honor the contract and complete the work. I feel no animosity at all, it was not meant to be and I prefer the company not come out if they really preferred not to as I would have been worried that I would have gotten incomplete work again or worse, shoddy work. Maybe this is just an isolated incident I don't know. Unfortunately this is a small mom's and pop's business and it is possible they were emotionally invested in this contracted repair and lost a certain level of professionalism and care that they may regularly extend to the majority of their customers, I don't know and don't wish to contemplate the reasons why they failed to provide completed professional services. At this point I am dealing with another contracted *** provider and look forward to finally getting the tank installed and enjoying hot water once again. It has been almost a month without hot water but we are surviving. The estimate for the new provider is the same out of pocket work recommended but also lower than Wiese Plumbing which is a plus. As a recommendation to future customers if you do not want trouble don't have an opinion, don't conduct your own research, do not ask questions, and let Wiese do whatever they want and charge what they want. If so, you will not have any problems, interruption of services, and will be left with kind words, a smile, and more likely than not being taken advantage of financially.

11/19/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Charged 75 dollars for hsa repair. They cashed my check but never submitted information to hsa nor will they return any of my phone calls (7 calls)
First appointment they didn't show up. The second appointment charged us 75 which is standard for hsa fee to diagnose plumbing issue. After we were told they would repair any damages if it's covered in our warranty we allowed service man tear up my ceiling. Service man took pictures and said they have to submit them to warranty company and would have to return. That is and was the last time we received any communication or visit from them. I've called them 6 times through the month and all they do is take my name and number. I went and contact hsa home warranty and found out they never even submitted the pictures to them or a diagnoses. Furthermore I heard lady on the phone say she couldn't find the work order and lady at hsa told me they told her the same thing. I now have to call another plumber and pay another 75 dollars when previous plumbers didn't even do what they were supposed to do. I basicly paid some dude with a hammer 75 dollars tear my ceiling apart and run with my money. Now my leak is worse

Since they have no intentions of doing my warenty work and they never submitted my diagnoses to my warranty company so I can get my repair work done then I should not of been charged that 75 dollars to begin with.

The diagnostic charge per their home warranty company is $75.00. They have to pay that at the time of service. They will not have to pay another company this fee for the same problem. It is our technician's responsibility to call in the work orders. We do apologize for this problem and the tech has been talked to. The $75.00 still is valid due to our service of diagnosing the problem.

They never submitted anything to the home warranty company. That's why I called the home warranty company and was told they would send out another plumber because they lost the paperwork. That was never done. I called again, which now I have the choice of anyone to fix my plumber. I had to pay another fee to do this. I have called weise plenty of times and they always take my name and number but never have they called me back to resolve or even explain anything of what's going on. Therefore I concluded they were avoiding me. The piece paper I have from them showing my charges doesn't even say a **** thing what's wrong with my plumbing. So, if taking my money, and not even processing my claim to my home warranty company still makes your visit valid... Then I'm truly amazed. Do they even have my number to call me, after countless phone calls and visited my house? Probably not!

If the home warranty charged him a second time, he will have to contact them. Usually, they will not charge another deductable for the same problem. The $75 dollar deductable was for our service call to the house

In your own statement you were supposed to contact/submit information to my home warranty company. You never did. My money did not and will never go towards my repair like it is supposed too. Your previous statement about that charge going to my repair bill was stated by you yourself. You further admitted you rep remanded your employee because he never submitted anything to my home warranty company. Your office never returned my calls. Your office never came back to my house. Your company was sent to repair my leak by my home warranty company. So again. I restate that I just paid 75 dollars for your plumber to put a hole in my ceiling and run off with my money. If you were a reputable company, you would of called me and try to resolve this issue. Instead you only decide to reply after I contact the better business after 7 phone calls and an email after what 2 months. If you really do work for hsa warranties then you know they require an estimate. I have no estimate. Includrd your own documents. There's no labor, no material cost. It just repeats same thing I told hsa... Drain pipe leaking.

01/26/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Failed to respond when work they did created more problems that they initially came in to fix.
Yesterday, a plumber from Wiese Plumbing came out to our home and worked on an issue through our HSA warranty. Today the issue is worse than it was and after taking a shower this morning, I came downstairs to half a gallon of water in our kitchen. My wife called this morning and since then has tried repeatedly to get a call back from the Service Manager. She is getting told different, conflicting stories from everyone she speaks with, so we are getting the feeling they are straight out lying to her. Saying the service manager was on such at 11:30 and would call back within the hour. Never did, then she called 2 hours later, they put her on hold for a long time then said he's on the phone. Then my wife called *** on his cell phone who told her he had not heard from anyone at your company today which conflicts with that the person told my wife this morning. This is getting ridiculous and after doing some research of reviews online, they all confirm these suspicions. Homeowners should be warned of such a dishonest company that does not care for the quality of their work.

*** ********

N/A

Each customer of Wiese Plumbing is important and we do our best to satisfy each and everyone. We do, however, prioritize jobs of matter of severity. The temperature is in the negatives, people have feces in basements, some have no heat, no water, water pipes bursting causing secondary damage, commercial property facilities out of commission, etc. Mrs. ******** in the mean time is demanding we return immediately to repair a shower drain that leaks only when in use and is not their only shower in the house. That problem does not take precedence of the emergency problems others have such as listed above. I relaize when people have problems, they feel like they need fixed right away and to ignore other people's problems. However, if Mrs. ******** has use of other showers and if no secondary damage is caused, this is not a severe priority. Mrs. ******** called in repeatedly during the stress of true emergencies happening and thus each time she called only prolonged a response because it takes other people in the offices time up telling her the same thing over and over again.
Regarding the comment on the complaints on google, a company that has been around since 1921 and service a large amount of customers, we understand that there will always be people that will complain no matter how hard you try to please them. Often times, complaints stem from lack of substance and a naive objective business like mentality of this industry such as these of people putting secondary jobs ahead of sincere legit emergencies. A company such as Wiese has been around for 90 years, is a result of honesty and good business, is evident to our success and growth. We realize everyone cannot be pleased, even though we try our best to do so.
We attempted to repair the initial problem by reputtying the shower drain, to make a simple repair as per the insurance company guidelines. Despite all the emergencies listed, Wiese still returned to Mrs. ******** to correct the problem that same day.

01/07/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Paid for permit fee and extra upgrades. Still have not had an inspection that was paid for.
I purchased my home 11/2014. With that, I also purchased a Home Warranty thru ************.
My hot water tank started giving me issues. Company was contracted and after checking the tank out, It was determined the HWT did need replaced. Though ************ did cover the cost of the tank, I was responsible for extra fees including an expansion tank, a pan, electrical disposal fee and permit fee. I was told the permit fee was as expensive as it was because it was a special permit thru the state/county--not the city I reside in. I have made numerous calls to ask when I could expect my inspection. I kept being told, they should call. Now its to the point where the young lady who pulls the permits will not call me back. I paid by cash and check $405 invoice ******. Date of service was 1/8/14. I want my $405 refunded for delay of following thru with inspection and I want the inspection done!

$405 for extra fees not covered by home warranty company and the inspection I have been waiting for since January of 2014

Our policy is to set up a scheduled time for inspection with the homeowner and the inspector. This requires multiple phone calls between the two to set a date that works for both parties. At times, it can be challenging to get in touch with inspectors and they do not always return our calls. We like to get the inspection asap after installation. Unfortunately, we are human and did make a mistake and the permit was filed with the paperwork. We did call for inspection as soon as we were made aware of the problem. We did speak with the homeowner recently, and she told us not to call her, that she was making the inspection herself.

The expansion tank, permits, and non covered items, were explained to her and approved by her before we would get authorization to do the work by her insurance company. These are vital to ensure the water heater will pass inspection and necessary code requirements. We will however, issue her a refund for the permit cost, due to our mistake. The cost is $100.00.

The permit was not filed until 12/4/14 when the job was installed in Jan. Yes we are human, but the other handful of calls placed, some with no return call, throughout the year were apparently not answered by pulling a permit. I did call the company, and told them I called and scheduled the inspection myself and indicated I was quite upset the permit was not pulled until almost a year after installation. I do have my inspection scheduled on 12/18 and the inspector is giving me a copy of the permit, paperwork and will evaluate whether or not the upgrades were needed. I will then turn it over for review. Until the inspection is done, I do not have an answer. I trusted the company to sell me what is needed--not sell or oversell me things I do not need. I am not in the business of heating/cooling and plumbing. My purchase was NOT an insurance claim. It was a claim processed by my home warranty company ************. I know the only thing covered basically was the tank. The permit and upgrades obviously were not covered by warranty company. An expense I had to pay outside of what warranty covered. The point is, if I did not need the pan or the expansion tank, I would not have bought it. That's why I pushed for the inspection and kept calling and wondering what was going on. I am also in the process of obtaining a copy of the invoice that was submitted to warranty company for services rendered. I also had shut offs replaced for my washing machine. Not only did they leak, I have a hole in my wall that was put there by the tech. That has been left open as well for the inspector to make sure it is not leaking. Both shut offs were replaced on day of my water heater. I have a list for the inspector.
The whole top of the water heater is damaged from when the tech was trying to sauder the welds in the piping. So the $405 might be a low ball amount I expect to be refunded. Its all in the inspector of ************** hands.

After speaking to Inspector ************ of **************,(as stated in his report) a pan is required by code.

He also mentioned in his report that "it appears expansion tank is not required" but verbally told me he does not diffinitivley know that there is not a check valve in the water meter, thus making it a close system, in which an st-5 would be required.

The work was approved and passed.

Because of the delay in obtaining the permit, we are willing to refund the permit of $100.00. fee this time only if that is agreeable to Miss *****.

Just spoke with the inspector ****. He clearly did not say I did need a expansion tank. He did inspect and pass the work performed based on what was there. As far as needing an expansion tank, it was not necessary. The point is:
A-the company charged me for a permit fee that was never pulled until I got in touch with the BBB and when the permit was finally applied for, the company made it seem the work was not done yet. The inspector was made aware the work was done in Jan 2014--but was being applied for Dec. 4,2014 to which he would of fined and charged double for the permit if he was aware of that situation. With that being said, I was being lied to by the office in regards to my inspection. I was told over and over again the permit was pulled but never was.
B-The expansion tank was NOT needed. I would of never bought it or approved it for installation if I did not need it.
C-While the tanks water pan is code according to the inspector, common sense indicates the tank is less than a foot away from the drain in the floor.
Please call **** at the City of ************** Building department at ************. I am sure he will be more than happy to talk to you. At this point its better to get your information straight from the source. Obviously the company can not get the facts straight--Its just like telling me for almost a year the inspector should be calling. I have also read other complaints against the company in regards to being sold an expansion tank and not needing one.
As an overview, I was charged for a permit ($100)and told it was that much because its a special permit and the "county inspector" would be doing inspection. Permit pulled almost 12 months later. I was also told I needed a expansion tank. I not being a plumber trusted I did, but obviously did not. The water pan being needed for code is a given and is needed to bring to code.
I wonder how many other customers paid for permits that never got one or how many other customers are out there that were oversold on things not needed. They are out there. There are a few under companies profile.
I suggest the BBB take the initiative to contact the City of ************** and take it from there and somewhere in between what he says and the company claims will lye the truth
I will settle for a refund of the permit fee and the expansion tank. The pan is code. I am still waiting for an invoice from the ********************* in regards to what the company billed for as well.

01/06/2015Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Failure to properly install appropriate equipment upon installation of new furnace, to pass inspection.
10/21/14: Technician from Wiese Plumbing came to the house to measure for installation of a 90% fuel efficient furnace. No mention of a need or requirement for any additional ventilation was made.
10/28/14: Received a call about the furnace estimate. Price was agreed upon. No mention was made of a need or requirement for any additional ventilation.
10/31/14: Wiese Plumbing called to schedule installation of furnace. No mention of a need or requirement for any additional ventilation was made.
11/5/14: Furnace installed. No mention of a need or requirement for any additional ventilation was made.
12/4/14: Wiese Plumbing called to schedule inspection of furnace on 12/9/14.
12/9/14: Inspection on furnace failed due to lack of proper ventilation.Too much carbon monoxide in the room. I called Wiese's emergency line. A technician was sent out and he understood what was needed to properly ventilate the furnace. In the meantime, leave the furnace room door open to help ventilate the room.
12/11/14: Technician from Wiese Plumbing came to the house to measure for additional equipment needed to properly ventilate the furnace.
12/18/14: Technician from Wiese Plumbing called with an estimate of $464 to install appropriate equipment needed to ventilate the furnace. I told the technician that I needed to call the office, since I didn't believe I should be paying for their error in not properly ventilating the furnace upon installation.I called Wiese Plumbing and spoke with the HVAC Manager.I questioned why the proper equipment hadn't been in place upon installation. He stated " the technician probably thought you would leave the door to the room open". I told him that the door had never been left open with the old furnace and I shouldn't need to leave it open now.The first technician that came to the house to measure for the installation of the furnace should be held accountable for his failure to know what equipment was/is needed to properly install and ventilate the furnace in it's existing environment and to pass inspection.

I should not be incurring the costs of the additional equipment required to properly ventilate the furnace, when "certified" technicians never advised me or the company of the need or requirement to have the additional ventilation added before inspection. It is clearly the company's and the technician's responsibility to know what equipment is needed and required to have a properly functioning and ventilated furnace that will pass inspection and not have the hazard of carbon monoxide in the home.

We at Wiese Plumbing correctly installed the furnace at the above address. The technician would have tested for carbon monoxide at the time of installation. We do not usually cut air inlets into doors for make up air. The homeowner has the option to change the door, leave the door open, or cut in air inlets.We will cut air inlets into the door, but can not do so without charging for it. This was not in our initial estimate and therefore is the property owner's responsibility. Per the home warranty agreement, we are to replace the equipment, not modify doors.

Regardless of what the home warranty states, your company was hired to install a furnace in it's existing space and to pass inspection.You gained a permit, knowing your work in the existing environment would be inspected. It is of my expectation for your work to be "complete" at the time of installation and to pass inspection. It did not pass inspection. Obviously, your work was not "complete" or it would have passed inspection!
Your technicians are supposedly certified and licensed. It was clearly a failure on the original technicians' part, to not make note of the environment and the need for additional ventilation due to the environment( a room with a door).
Furthermore, your HVAC manager suggesting " to leave the furnace room door open", is beyond unprofessional! It exudes the behavior of someone with no true regard for the safety of my home or its' occupants!

Safety is our goal here at Wiese Plumbing. Our company is licensed. Our quoted work was completed. Leaving the door open is an option some homeowners choose instead of incurring the cost to replace or modify a door. The choice is on the homeowner. This was not in our original quote and therefore would be responsible by the homeowner. We did not quote any door modifications. It would be like quoting to replace a faucet and finding the valves leading to the faucet needed replaced. That would be an extra.

Plumbers, Backflow Prevention Devices & Services, Heating & Air Conditioning, Drainage Contractors