BBB Accredited Business since 09/06/2013

John H. Gerstenmaier Jr., DDS Inc.

06/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

I was dissatisfied with the treatment of my son and myself at this pediatric dentist office. I was ignored and underinformed.

From start to finish, the appointment was uncomfortable and unpleasant. We arrived at the office no later than 9:32 a.m. for his 9:30 a.m. appointment, and while I am aware and do admit to the fact that punctuality is not my strongest suit, this should have been of no issue due to the fact that I had already filled out the majority of the paperwork as it was available on the office's website. Regardless, the greeting we barely received from the woman at the receptionist desk was half-hearted, unfriendly, and, I dare to say, outright rude.I was never asked for my insurance card, but supplied what I thought was the correct one to her upon completing my papers and handing them back in. She called me back and said that I had given her my own card and not the one for ******. I am a new recipient of the Buckeye Community Health Plan and when I received my packet in the mail I only received one card. I explained this to the receptionist. Her response was, "They give everyone their own card..." I must have looked confused, but I agreed with her that "Yeah that's what I thought, but I was only sent this one." Visibly agitated at this point, she told me she could make a phone call and go about getting his billing number another way. She turned in her desk chair to face her computer screen. I hovered at the window a few seconds before she said I could just go ahead and have a seat. I was not instructed on where I should stand while ****** had his x-rays done, so I stood just outside the entrance as the dental assistant told my son to stand against the wall so she could take his picture. I thought this was an x-ray too, so I could understand his confusion and nervousness, but the assistant responded to it by saying "I'm just taking your picture...don't you wanna smile, honey?" And when he didn't offer a full smile, she just rolled her eyes and huffed while snapping the picture (which I assume was for his record) and told him to "go sit in the chair". She did not help him climb up in to the adult-sized chair, but spoke to him almost as though he were an adolescent as she put the heavy, leaded jacket on him and prepared to take his pictures. Again, the procedure was not explained as she went along.I watched, patiently as the assistant impatiently and forcefully shoved plastic "thingies" (I wasn't told their name) into his mouth and yanked them out after each picture. She spat commands to ******: "bite down", "don't open your mouth". At one point, she instructed ****** to lean his head back against the pillow. When he turned to see where the pillow was in relation to his head, she marched over, grabbed him and slid him into position while spewing the words, "If you were sitting in the middle like I told you to, you would be where you need to be..."Dr. ***************** - who I only knew was one of the dentists from viewing his picture on the website, not from introduction - was pleasant, polite and gentle, but not very endearing or instructive as he worked with my son. I saw things happening that I was used to from my son's prior dental office experiences, but should I have asked about the "red lines" he was instructing a different dental assistant to draw on my son's chart? He was not explaining things as they happened and I was confused by the fact that no suction/rinse water was provided after the different pastes and treatments were placed in ******'s mouth.my son had to go back to the x-ray chair and take a final picture. The nicer assistant was performing the exam this time, however, she could not get the right angle she needed. Dr. ************ walked over and said he would help her get the photo, but I felt this was done hastily and out of impatience.Perhaps my prior positive experiences with both another pediatric dentist's office and that of a dental clinic have spoiled me. Perhaps it is my training in both Medical Assisting and exceptional customer service that makes me feel the way I do. Regardless, this was a terrible experience.

I would just like an explanation and an apology regarding the treatment we received today. I was extremely dissatisfied and my son did not have a pleasant experience. It seems a pediatric dentistry office would be more accomodating, socially, to the emotional needs/slight nervousness of a four-year-old child.

See attached

RE: Case # ********:
Ms. ***************

I have enclosed a copy of the response to Ms. ********** letter which was mailed and hand delivered to our office. I was surprised by her perception of the visit. She was with her son and with me for most of the visit although I missed the taking of the radiographs. It is a common practice to make notations on a chart for the patient and these are related to the oral hygiene,soft tissue evaluation, occlusion and presence of dental caries or defects. Our description of defects on the tooth is charting a red line on the surface of the tooth. We will examine these areas at the recall visit for a possible change.

Dental radiographs are difficult on everyone and we try to use soft films(no plastic) and we need the patient's cooperation. Sometimes it is necessary to assist the patient in closing on the film or even help hold the film. We use the recommended Fluoride treatment for a high risk patient which is a varnish that can be rinsed out right after the application and is very sticky and can be cleaned off after it has dried
I am disturbed about this problem and I have discussed the letter with the staff.

*********************

A couple days after I initially filed my complaint, I received a letter directly from Dr. ************ in response. I was pleased to hear that my concerns, mattered to him and that he would be taking steps to ensure that there would be no need for further complaints such as mine in the future. He even stated that he would be open to meeting with me in person in conjunction with emphasizing to his staff the importance of quality customer service. I appreciated the swift response and the kind gesture of the gift card included with it. I feel that he genuinely appreciated my opinions and point of view.

Dentistry - Children, Dentists