BBB Accredited Business since 07/09/2004

Willow Lake Park

06/30/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Inappropriate behavior by customer service personnel

Complaint: Poor customer service, very rude, did not offer the prices advertised at their door when I arrived at the main desk.
I went to Willow Lake for a weekend of camping on 5/10/2014. I arrived at the front desk and I was being attended to by an older woman, she says they do not cater to teenagers and that this was a family camp ground.. I am in my mid 20's and look much younger than that. I was with my wife and 3 year old daughter who were out waiting in the car. I let that rude comment slide and continued to try and register to camp there. I was then told a price of over $30.00, which is not what the price was advertised to me outside in the doorway to go into the front office. The prices were listed as $8.00 each adult, and free for three and under. I did not wish to have any premium campsites, power or electric, just somewhere basic to put my tent. I then asked for the advertised camping prices and was told that this was not available to me and based on family pricing. I have never had someone act so rude towards me, it really bothered me on how someone could be so judgmental and rude towards a younger customer looking to have a nice weekend out with the family.

In an effort to be clear on what happened in the case of Mr. ******, I called him at home. He was very nice.

He would not describe the person that gave him a bad time so I talked with everyone who works here in order to be sure whatever happened does not happen again.. One girl that was with us then is no longer with us. There is no reason to treat anyone like that and whoever he talked to was grossly misinformed. A couple of things I would like to clarify is; the prices on the entrance is the daily entrance fee, he simply misread it. It does not include camping overnight. As for not renting to teen agers, I still have not found out who or why he was told he couldn't camp. We do not have a hard and fast rule about teen agers camping but in the case of teens wanting to camp and party, we will ask that they have an adult to be responsible for them. In the past we have had groups of teen agers camping that wanted to party and alcohol was part of that party. We couldn't do anything with
them and if they left the Park drunk, we were responsible. None of this applies to him, he had a family and to assume he was going to cause a problem was unacceptable. At any rate after talking to him I apologized to him and offered him 2 nights of free camping. He was very gracious and accepted my offer. I sincerely hope this kind of thing never happens again. It is certainly not our policy. I would also like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. No matter how hard you try, there are times when employees act in a way that is not acceptable company policy. Hopefully this will make them aware of how their actions affect everyone.

Willow Lake Park, Inc.