BBB Accredited Business since 12/17/2010

VanDevere Chevrolet

15 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 5 closed in last 12 months

06/10/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

Complaint: sold me a vehicle with bad brakes and told me on 3 different occasions there was a brake job done before purchase.
I purchased an auto from them in October (and paid for an extended warranty) and was told they had done a complete brake job on the vehicle right before I bought it. Two weeks later the van was making a grinding sound when I applied the brakes. I took it back and they said it was just dust on the brakes.
In January I took it back because the grinding was getting much worse. They said in front of witness' that the brakes were good and it was just moisture on the brakes. In April I took it back for the third time and they acted like I was just complaining for no reason. This month (May 2014) the brakes went to the floor and when I took it back to them and pulled in the garage the brakes were making a loud screeching & grinding sound. After checking it they decided it was the brakes and it would cost me $190.00 to repair them! I had my van towed to a auto repair shop and had the brakes repaired for $133.00!!

On 7/15/13 VanDevere put new front brake rotors, rear rotors and pads on the vehicle that ***** ********* purchased on 10/8/13. The miles at that time were 84701. Customer came in on 1/15/14 to have an oil change with a multipoint inspection with 88126 miles and the brakes were inspected and within guidelines at this time. On 3/4/14 the customer came in for brake noise. The brakes were inspected at that point at no charge. The inspection showed 5mm lining left on the front rotors which was well within guidelines. Customer came in on 5/19/14 with 91760 miles on the vehicle. We did a brake inspection at no charge to the customer, the front brake pads needed replaced and the rotors could be machined. Customer declined repair. The customer has owned the vehicle for 7 months and has put 7000 miles on the vehicle prior to brake linings wearing out. At this point we feel that the customer is responsible for repairs needed to her vehicle.

04/14/2014Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to provide promised assistance or support for products or services

Complaint: I was sold a special warranty with my car that included coverage of burns on interior of car and now I am being told they do not offer that coverage
When I purchased my car 2 years ago, they took me into a room to finalize all of the paperwork. In that room the man I was talking with offered me an additional warranty that I could purchase on top of the car's manufacturer's warranty. There were three or four options to choose from the premium, most expensive package included interior protection that included burns, rips, and tears on the vehicle's interior. I made sure to ask the man I spoke with multiple times if the coverage included cigarette burns, to which he responded yes every time. I haven't had to take the car in for repair on the interior yet but when I recently had service done at this location I asked about the coverage and was told burns were not covered. I went to the location yesterday to talk with a manager to see if someone could pull my file, and check the video/audio surveillance from that day. After waiting around for over an hour the manager came over with a book that had the terms and conditions of interior protection and told us that it stated right there burns, rips, and cuts on the interior were not covered. When I asked about pulling the video and audio file from the day I made the purchase of the car he told me that they could do that but would not be able to honor what the original guy who finalized the deal with me told me. He apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a $50 service voucher to use at their location. Even though I had told him I only get warranty and recall service done there because I have not had good experiences in their service center, they keep my car for extended periods of time when I'm only getting minor service done. My original car payment would have been high 300s low 400s had I not purchased this extended protection. I am now paying over $460 per month because of the added warranty that I bought specifically for the burn protection on the interior. I would have never purchased that warranty had I been told from the beginning that the burns would not be covered.

************* PURCHASED AN ELITE EXTERIOR & INTERIOR VEHICLE SEALANT LIMITED WARRANTY ON 3/5/12 ON HER 2012 CHEVY CRUZE. I HAVE ATTACHED A COPY OF THE SIGNED WARRANTY INCLUDING THE FRONT AND BACK PAGES. PAGE 2 ADDRESSES THE LIMITATION OF COVERAGE DUE TO BURNS, RIPS, ETC. ******* CAME INTO OUR DEALERSHIP RECENTLY AND SPOKE WITH SALES MANAGER ********* AND HE EXPLAINED TO HER THAT BURNS WEREN'T COVERED. AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE HE GAVE ******* A $50.00 SERVICE VOUCHER TO HELP WITH REPAIRS TO THE INTERIOR IF SHE CHOSE TO HAVE THE BURNS FIXED...WE LOOKED TO SEE IF HER TRANSACTION WAS IN OUR VIDEO ARCHIVES AND UNFORTUNATLEY IT IS NOT. VANDEVERE FEELS WE HAVE MADE AN ATTEMPT TO HELP ******* WITH HER REPAIRS AND FEEL THAT NO MISLEADING WAS INTENDED...

05/20/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Customer Service Complaint Issue

Complaint: Tags expire on 4/17/13. Title not delivered yet....it's April 15th! We have a funeral to attend on the 17th~! VERY DISSATISFIED.

We purchased the vehicle on 3/19/13....they had plenty of time to issue the title. They claimed in a phone conversation that it would be fed ex'd Sat April 13, we still dont have it on Monday april 15th....Tags expire on the 17th of April....all the while we have a wake to attend tomorrow evening and a funeral Wednesday morning,,...we Really did not need this. Very poor customer service, I called to complain to the manager who handled the call somewhat unprofessionally....claiming not to have heard of same day delivery? This whole experience makes me wonder what is wrong with the car? Why did it take so long to get the title from the bank.

This vehicle was owned by an employee of VanDevere who worked for us for 32 years and passed away in November 2012. Several documents have to be filed to legally purchase a vehicle when the owner is deceased. Manager ********* spoke with Mr. *********** about his concerns and said no fee's were incurred and they received the paperwork on April 16th which is within the 30 days the state requires us to transfer ownership. He seemed satisfied and was transfered to our service dept to inquire about his upcoming appointment.

03/18/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Sales presentation used high pressure methods

Complaint: I was trying to schedule a test drive and an in store visit and was met with hostility and given the run around by a number of very rude staff members
I was treated absolutely heinously by *************. I recieved a very high pressure sales pitch when I called to inquire on 1/31 about '05 Impala. When I asked to work with my original sales person, ***************, They promptly fired him for working with me. On 2/7 when I called to follow up regarding the vehicle and if it was still available at which time I was denied floormats. Over the next week I was bombarded with a series of harrassing and rambling e-mail messages. They made absolutely no sense and were clearly written to assassinate my character. They were sent in succession over the weeks of 2/4 and 2/11. I was told that they would be willing to send the car from one ****** location to another to accommodate the need of me and my family. However after I let ***** know that my wife would be accompanying me to review the condition of the vehicle she became belligerent and enraged to learn that am a married man. Throughout the course of our contact up until that point the communication had been very unprofessional and flirtatious. When I asked if the car might be able to meet the needs of my handicapped daughter I was completely scoffed at by one of the sales managers on 2/6. Over the following few days I recieved even more e-mails that were very upsetting for me and my family. Even though I was simply trying to purchase a used car most of the e-mails took on a tone of a personal nature, in which ***** would delve into the intimate dynamics of her person life. This was very off putting for me as I was simply trying to purchase a car from this woman whom I regarded as a total stranger. I felt that if the communication would take place predominantly over e-mail, I felt that if I could get her on the phone to discuss the purchase I might find more success. But to no avail, after numerous requests from a number of members of the sales staff, they refused to give me a working number that they could be reached at. Still though the e-mails back and forth continued, Finally after several requests I was able to get them to send the car to their retail outlet that is closer to my home, or so I though, with in minutes of the car ariving at the new location I recieved a message from ***** which stated that since I failed to show up on time the car was being sent back to the other location. They gave me exactally 15 minutes to show up to see that car. This seems unreasonable to me. I mean, I couldn't even get my daughter's wheelchair into my car in 15 minutes, I mean seriously. I just let this event roll pass without voicing my disappointment to them because I still wanted to purchase the car and I didn't want to anger them. I e-mailed a response saying that I was unable to see the car due to the short notice they gave me but I was still interested. They responded by string me along for another week. The e-mail messages, which I have retained for me personal records, took on an angry and threatening tone even though no direct threats were made to my safety. The e-mails jumped from subject to subject without any rhyme or reason. It's important to note that none of those subjects include the'05 impala that I am extremely interested in purchasing. I attempted one final time to schedule a time when I might be able to come in with my wife and daughter so we could see the car in person and was met with this hideous and obscene e-mail, which was written in all capital letters, with some of the most offensive language I have ever read. I felt shock that this is how a auto dealership deals with its customers.In the mean time I was able to track down a phone number where the dealership could be reached at and called them.Who answered the phone was this inept customer service represenative who quickly passed the phone to sales manager who notified me that he filed a police report regarding my interest in the '05 Impala and slammed the phone down on me. I have never had an experience like this. These people are dunces, never shop with them.

I wanted to respond to you about this complaint via email because it has some sensitive and vulgar content. Mr. ****** did contact our dealer ship via the internet about a vehicle and dealt with our Business Development Manager ******. She has worked for us for years and did not do any of the things Mr. ****** is accusing her of. I am attaching all of the communication between the two. I want you to be aware that ****** ****** contacted the Akron Police Dept and filed a police report due to the content of Mr. ******'s last email. Be prepared, it has extremely bad language in his remarks. I am not sure how to respond other than we do not agree with anything in his complaint to you and hopefully when you review the attached emails you will agree. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this issue.
****** ******
**************

03/13/2012Problems with Product / Service
11/04/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: I went down to use there car wash on October 18,2013 around 1230p. As I pulled into the car wash the car wash attendant was guiding me onto car wash tire track. He advised me I was good after I pulled in right after car wash went to start my car fell off of the car wash track and my tire was split and the under right side of my car was damaged. They will not take responsibility for the damage they insist the car wash is at your own risk. I understand the actual car wash is but this damage was done because there car wash attendant didn't make sure the car tire was in the track. I also had a witness in the car with me ***** ****. Obviously they have a car wash attendant to guide people in for a reason or they wouldn't have one.
Product_Or_Service: Car wash

***** VanDevere spoke with ***** about her issue with damage to her vehicle while using the car wash. The VanDevere car wash is free to our customers and is used by our customers at their own risk. Our car wash is used 3 to 5 thousands times per month. We do have a car wash attendant that guides the customers into the car wash but unfortunately ***** steered off of the track which caused the damage to her car. ***** gave ***** our Body Shop managers personal cell phone number. To help her with the cost of repairs, we agreed to repair her vehicle at VanDevere's cost. ***** is more than welcome to contact ***** VanDevere if she needs to discuss this further.

they lost a my trust and will not refer anyone to them

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that while the company addressed the complaint issues, the complainant was dissatisfied and the matter was outside BBB Rules of Arbitration.

08/20/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: Failure to honor service estimate or agreement

Complaint: Vehicle price online 16, 997.00 needed work so they added $2, 500 work that we PAID for was never completed correctly
In march we purchased a truck from vandevere chevy.they had the vehicle online for $16, 997.00 I was advised that it was the wrong price the price was to be around $2500-$3000 more than the internet price told them that was fine if all of the repairs that totalled the $2500-$3000 more were fixed properly. Well we were promised the truck on a saturday didn't pick up until a thursday! We were told all of the repairs were done which may have been done but not the correct way seeing how we hav e had prob since we bought it.... they were to replace the water pump and we still get antifreeze smell and low coolant light... also rear axle seal which we had to replace sgain on our own slong w a nes caliper.... ive contacted them and have got nothing but argueing from these people telling me I have to drive it up there and have to pay for repairs and a rental car! I'd like to speak w the owner ams get this set straight and get my money back for bogus repair!

Mrs. ***** purchased a 2005 Silverado with 175,487 miles on it on 3/28/13. We did repairs on the vehicle in our service department in the same month. The repairs were: installed new front tie rod ends, installed new idler and pitman arms, installed new front and rear brake rotors, installed new left rear axle seal, installed new water pump, changed the oil and performed a front wheel alignment. Mrs. ***** stated to our sales manager that she was having problems with some of the repairs mentioned above. Our sales manager told Mrs. ***** to bring the vehicle in and we would gladly look at it and if there were any problems with the repairs made we would correct the problems. Since the repairs were recently done the parts and labor would have been warrantied by our service department at no added cost to her. I spoke with ************** and unfortunately Mrs. ***** decided to take the vehicle elsewhere and chose to pay for the repairs instead of giving us the opportunity to identify any issues and correct them at no added expense.

I live 2 hours away from the dealership they told me I would have to sit there amd wait for my vehicle or PAY for a rental car why should I have to pay for a rental car when it is their problem the vehicle was not fixed properly! And I did NOT take my truck anywhere else to get fixed! This is by far the worst dealership to deal with ill never recommend them to anyone and ill be contacting an attorney as well thanks

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

04/17/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Repair Complaint Issue

Complaint: they do not stand behind what they sell and only watch out for themselves!

We bought a 2009 yukonxl on a sat then found a broken mirror assmbly on sunday and called on monday and we were told we bought as is and they are not responsible for it but would look at it. after calling the owner he said that they would take 200 off the 550 repair but in the meantime we also found a broken rear doorhandle and called and was told the same even though when we bought it it was suppse to be certified gm preowned which means these things should have been found and fixed!!? now less than 3o days later the check airbag light came on so i took it to my local gm dealer and was told it needed a 200 sensor so i called van devere and of course was told the same thing as before!! i understand buying used might have problems but on a 40k vehicle they should stand behind it! i will never buy there again and guess im just out the 1000 that came from my pocket!!

Mr. ****** purchased his vehicle on 1/5/13. Two and half weeks later he came into ****** to have the mirror assembly replaced. ****** ****** spoke with Mr. ****** and explained that he had every opportunity to look over the vehicle when he purchased it but ****** ****** offered to pay $200.00 of the repair costs even though we don't know if the mirror assembly was broken before or after the purchase. The broken rear door handle and check airbag light issues were never mentioned according to ****** ******. We have looked thru Mr. ******'s deal paperwork and this vehicle was not sold as a Preowned GM certified vehicle. Those vehicles are sold at our GM dealerships. The outlet is a used car lot only. We did not have the opportunity to service the check air bag light issue as he chose to take his vehicle elswhere for the repair. He declined to purchase a service contract at the time of the vehicle purchase. I have attached some documentation for your review which is the car fax which does not state it was ever a GM preowned certified vehicle. The we owe as stated and signed, nothing owed, and the service contract waiver form. We feel we did nothing to mislead Mr. ****** and even paid for part of a repair that was not a safety issue when no fault could be determined.

I would like to reply to the complaint that it was not 2 1/2 weeks till iI reported the broken mirror or handle!! I took delivery of the vehicle on sat evening and found the the broken mirror on sunday. I called my salesman on mon morn and the secratary said he wasnt in yet so i told her the problem and she said he would call me when he came in which he never did so I called again tues and was told he was off that day so i spoke to anoyher person and he said he would tell him wed when he came in and he still didnt call me!When I called thurs and finally talked to him he still wasnt told or knew anything about it so he said he would call me back and when he did hee told me that his boss which happened to be the guy I talked to tues said they would do anything about it cause I should have seen it before I bought it!! I then decided to call Mr ********* and told him my story which he said said he stands behind his mgr and that it was basically my fault but I should bring it in and they would look at it so I made an appt and went in the next week.When they looked at it they said yes its broke and the whole thong needs replaced and that Mr ********* was away but said they would cover only 200 of the 480 dollar mirror and i wanted it fixed before it got worse so I agreed to have them fix it but they said it would be at least a week till the parts would be in to fix it. About 2 days later I went to open the rear door and noticed the broken handle which again I called immediatly and again was told there was nothing they could do but would have the part in when I came to get the mirror done. In the end it cost me over 600 to fix broken things that should not have been there to start with.On top of all this another thing I never complained about is it said it had factory floor mats and when the salesman went to get them out of the back that day they were not there and he told me o well they must have got lost!! I never said any more about that cause as you can tell they pretty much dont care after you sign on the line. I will from now on just deal with my local dealers and will never shop at Vandevere again and will tell anybody I can not to go there!!

************** feels that we stated our facts as we know them in our first response. We don't believe the mirror was broken at he time of delivery but did participate in $200.00 of the replacement costs in an attempt to satisfy Mr.****. This was above and beyond our we owe agreement signed by Mr.****.

04/12/2013Advertising / Sales Issues | Read Complaint Details

Complaint: I recently test drove a truck from Van Devere Chevy in Akron, oh on monday March 25th. When I got to the dealership. I had to wait about 45 minutes for the sales lady to finally be able to talk with me. When then went to test drive the truck, but when we went out to test drive it. It wasn't on the lot. It ended up on another lot they owned. So we went down to the other lot in another suv to pick up the truck. The sales lady let me drive it back as part of the test drive. As we were pulling out of the dealership, we heard a big thud. We didn't hear anything else the whole time. When we got back to the dealership we realized that the tail gate had almost fallen completely off the truck and was hanging behind the truck by the two cords that hold it to the bed. It caused the bottom right corner to bend outward, a starch that was down to the metal, dinted the bumper and broke the tail light. After talking with the manager he would not take any money off the price of the truck. With the damaged it caused it was still selling at the listed price. The new sales manager offered a discount on a mew truck. But when i told the sales lady what I wanted. Her response in the truck I wanted was that if a truck i didnt want. I told her thats not the truck I came in for and her response was well you don't have a 2500 now. Well what difference does it make to what I have now. She was very unprofessional. After that i emailed the dealership and let them know how unhappy I was with the way everything was handled. The owner himself called me Mr. ****** ****** where we talked for a week. At the end of our conversation he offered no insight and said they price of the truck will be as what its listed at.

****** ****** spoke with Mr. ****** and when he was test driving one of our trucks the rear gate came loose because it was not hinged properly and very minor damage was done to the truck which we agreed to fix and make it right if Mr. ****** purchased the truck which he chose not to do. We are a one price dealer and ****** felt we were competitive with the pricing on the market for the type of truck that it is and the price of the vehicle would stand as is. The vehicle has since been in inventory for 68 days and we have reduced the price from 21,994 to 20,994 and Mr. ****** is more than welcome to take advantage of the price reduction. ****** ****** did try to call Mr. ****** to speak with him a second time about his concerns which resulted in leaving a voice mail for Mr. ****** to return his call.

After Mr.****** and i spoke. No issue could be resolved. He spoke with the dealership and tey agreed the nothig could be done price wise. Yes they said te truck would be fixed, but, however I had got a text message from the used car sales manager saying the truck would be fixed reguardless I bought it or someone else bought it. So they werent fixing the truck to make me happy. On monday April 8th and tuesday April 9th Mr. ****** called and left two voicemails. I was at work and worked late so i couldnt return his calls. I have told him and his sales staff when im at work. I have 3 times during the work daybto contact me. They wont call me during those times. I also havent heard from ****** since we talked last until April 8th when he got my complaint. In which then he has called and tried making a deal with me and has lowered the truck by a 1000. I feel he wouldnt be doing this if i havent filed a complaint.

03/05/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Contract Complaint Issue

Complaint: Unauthorized credit check ran on 01/10/2013. I did not sign credit application.

My credit was checked on 01/10/2013 at Vandevere Chevy on V.Odom without my permission. I already had financing in place & this company sent my information out. Equifax has reported it as a hard inquiry & Huntington Bank has also reported it (via letter sent to my address). I had no idea my credit was ran until I got the letter from Huntington Bank. I did not sign ANY credit application(s) on Jan 10th 2013; which was the day I visited the dealership in regards to possibly purchasing a 2006 Lincoln Zeyphr. (Which I did not end up buying.) *************** (the sales person) did not have my authorization to request any kind of credit services for me. I did not sign any documentation allowing Vandevere to request credit services for me, like I said... I already had my financing through CSE Federal Credit Union of Canton, OH.

***************** came into our Chevy location on 12/19/12 and filled out and signed a VanDevere Credit Application. I have attached the document for your review. Any further questions or concerns feel free to contact me.

I signed the application on 12/19/2012 for the lease of a 2013 Malibu. The credit check was only supposed to be ran on that day, that is what I agreed to; but I did not agree with the terms of that lease after the numbers came back. I did not authorize Vandevere to re-use any of my information on 01/10/2013 for the purchase of the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. I was told that my information was destroyed after I declined to lease the Malibu; I was told that if I walked away from the Malibu on 12/19/2012 that I would have to re-apply for credit. So I do not agree with Vandevere pulling an OUTDATED credit application to re-run my credit when I specifically told the saleswoman that I already had my financing set with CSE FCU. She sat right at the table & told me that Vandevere DID NOT run my credit on 01/10/2013. If you cannot provide a credit application dated 01/10/2013, then your credit check was unauthorized. I also received a letter from VanDevere dated 02/05/2013 which stated that you did not submit my application to other finance sources/banks, but I have received letters from Fifth Third, Ally, Wells Fargo & Huntington Bank all dated for 01/10/2013. All of which I did not authorize.

************ came into our dealership on 3 different occasions, 12/19 inquiring about a Malibu, 12/31 on a Volkswagen and 1/10 on a Lincoln. On 12/19 she filled out and signed a credit application which I have attached earlier for your review. ************ initiated business with us on all 3 visits and according to the banks who determine credit approval; a credit application is valid for 30 days. We were within the 30 days from her first visit to her last.

The letter she received from us about, if and what was done with her credit score, is computer generated and is required when a customer comes in and doesn't take delivery of a vehicle. The letter she received was with the spelling of her first name as ********. When we ran her credit her name was spelled ********. Since we did not run her credit using the name ********, the boxes were marked NO. We do have her in the computer system with the boxes marked accordingly with the name spelling ******** which is the name on the risk based report when we ran her credit on 12/19. We feel that we did what was asked of the customer as she initiated business with us and inquired about 3 different vehicles on 3 different occasions and were in the allocated time of the 30 days of her credit application signed by her.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Auto Dealers - New Cars, Auto Repair & Service, Auto Dealers - Used Cars