BBB Accredited Business since 06/17/1982

Sabetti Body Shop

09/11/2013Problems with Product / Service | Read Complaint Details

Took my 2012 Acura TSX there to repair a scratch on driver's door, somebody (sharp tool) put a deep scratch (so deep to the metal)on the trunk lid
I took my 2012 Acura TSX to **** Sabetti's for a scratch repair on the door. when I picked my car up I drove home (four tenths of a mile)I parked the car in the garage and went in the house, came back out to the garage (to get bicycle) and noticed immediately the scratch on the trunk lid. I looked at it ? What is this, I could see the dust imprint of a tool?(sander?)and the clear coat dost piled up right behind the scratch. What is this, I wiped my hand across the trunk lid and wiped the dust and clear coat off the trunk lid. This scratch JUST happened! I called Sabetti and took the car back immediately. They tried to tell me it was a stone that hit it on the way home(lol). Then I went back and talked to **** **** and he said maybe it was a purse that someone set on my trunk lid (lol). They have taken NO OWNERSHIP of this and it is a $500.00 REPAIR TO MY BRAND NEW CAR.

Get my Trunk lid repaired correctly ($500.00 repair) & Sabetti to take responsibility for the damage to my car. I took it to a body shop not MACY's!

In our line of business, we are always going above and beyond what it required of us to maintain an excellent reputation and retain our customers. This is how we have been continuing to grow and gain new customers by recommendations of others. A Customer stopped by the first week of July to have us estimate what it would cost to repair a scratch on the bottom of the driver's side front door of his 2012 Acura TSX that was scratched by a bicycle. The Owner recommended to the Customer to buy a paint touch up bottle from his Acura Dealer so that the paint had a better match to his existing paint than what our type of refinish paint could match for a small touch-up repair. The Owner told the Customer that we would brush touch his door at No Charge and see how it looked and if he wasn't satisfied we would write an estimate to repaint the door.

Prior to returning to our shop the Customer had a relative that is a tattoo artist try to brush touch the area on his door. He wasn't satisfied with the results and brought the car back to us to see if we could make it look better on Friday, July 12th. Our Estimator drove his car around our building and pulled the front of his car in the shop and the rear of the car remained outside as another car prevented her from pulling the car completely in the shop. Our Lead Painter who has been an employee of **** Sabetti Body Shop Inc. for 21 years wet sanded and buffed the scratch that had been brush touched by the Customer's relative. (There would not have been any tools anywhere near the trunk lid of the Customer's car as the area being repaired was on the front of the car that was in the shop.) Our estimator then pulled the car back around to the front of the shop and the Customer was pleased with the repair, he then asked how much it would be and we told him that it would be Free of Charge as we previously discussed because he was a repeat customer of ours and we appreciated his business. The Customer then left the shop.

The Customer then returned to the shop about an hour later and showed our Estimator a scratch in his trunk lid that the Customer said happened at our shop. After a discussion between her and our Lead Painter, it was determined that the scratch on the trunk lid did not happen at our shop. She told the Customer that we would try to help him out with it by brush touching the trunk lid with the paint touch up bottle that the Customer provided. In order to make it look better our estimator asked our lead Painter to wet sand and buff the trunk lid on Saturday, July 13th at no charge. (We are typically closed on Saturday's in the summer.) We wanted to help the Customer out however we could because he was our customer and he was clearly upset. However, we never claimed responsibility because we were positive we did not cause the scratch. The Customer picked his car up on Saturday and left.

The Customer returned on Wednesday, July 17th to talk with the Owner about the scratch that was on the trunk lid of his 2012 Acura TSX. The Customer was still unhappy and the Owner discussed with him that we did not cause the damage on his trunk lid. The Owner wrote him an estimate as to what it would cost to repair the trunk lid. The Owner then told him that we would work with him and help knock down the price some of the cost associated with the repairs to the trunk lid and asked him when he would want to bring the car to repair the trunk lid. The Customer then told the Owner that he would not bring his car back here and wanted the body shop to pay him to take it somewhere else to be repaired. The Owner told the Customer that he has tried to resolve this situation as best as he could for not actually being responsible for the trunk lid damages. The Customer then left.

The Customer returned on Friday, August 16th still upset about the damages on his trunk lid. When he returned he brought with him estimates from other Body Shops that he wanted us to resolve this situation regarding the scratch on his trunk lid. The Owner told the Customer that there was nothing more to discuss as we are not taking responsibility of something that we did not do and he was clearly not happy with our resolutions of this issue short of us handing him a check to get the repairs at a different body shop. The Customer then told us that he was going to leave negative reviews.

It is unfortunate that the Customer had this scratch on his trunk lid and we are unsure of when, how, or where it happened. All we know is that it did not happen at our shop. We do not spend an exorbitant amount of money on advertising and have built our business up over the past 41 years by providing high quality repairs and taking care of our customers. We often take care of minor issues such as buffing out scratches, reattaching bumpers, etc. free of charge to help our customers out. That is our most valuable marketing we do at our business. We tried to take care of this situation and never charged the Customer for any of the repairs that we did make. We tried to resolve this issue to the best we could, unfortunately we have been wrongly accused and are losing a valued customer.

The first of the Sabetti response is correct except #1 I picked up my car and drove the 4 tenths of a mile to my house pulling the car in the garage. I went into the house to lay the keys down and came back into the garage to get my bicycle to ride back to Sabertti's and get my pickup. When I walked into the garage passing the rear of the car & trunk lid I seen the same colored dust on the trunk lid as the door scratch area & noticed the Clear coat piled up behind the deep scratch on the trunk lid. As stated before in my complaint I said "what the heck is this" and wiped my hand across the trunk lid, wiping the clear coat and dust off (the dust appeared to image a tool (sander or something) setting on the trunk lid). At that time I wasn't sure what I was seeing, but realized it was a SHARP DEEP scratch (to the metal in the trunk lid)in the trunk lid that must of JUST happened (clear coat was piled up behind the scratch). I IMMEDIATELY returned to the body shop and the estimator tried to convince me that a stone must have caused the scratch on the TOP of my trunk lid as I drove home (4/10s of a mile). At that time I wasn't sure what had happened and needed to digest this. She offered to fill the scratch with my touch up paint and I could pick the car up in the morning. When I picked the car up in the morning, I was distressed to see all the WHITE boot prints on the black interior flooring and scuffing on the driver's door cowl panels?
I felt my property was disrespected and abused. I am convinced that this scratch happened in Sabetti's body shop and some one is not telling the truth. When I met with the owner he offered to split the cost of the trunk repair with me & proceeded to give me estimates on both the door and trunk lid. NOW the door repair was over $600 & the trunk lid $500 (totaled about $1200)! I commented to him that WOW I went from a $300 door repair to now approximately a $1200 repair! Basically he over inflated the estimate in my opinion (I have gotten other estimates) to cover his supposed cost and have me pay for the whole repair! Bogus, This shop TALKS about customer service and satisfaction but in reality it is just that TALK. Additionally the owner commented that someone might have set their purse down on the trunk lid as it was parked in the parking lot! Lol I later told him I didn't take my car to Macy's but to a body shop. This scratch is sharp and to the metal in the trunk lid. Anyone can see that it was caused by a sharp or abrasive tool. Occam's razor states that usually the simpler and most logical answer is usually the correct one. In this case it wasn't a stone as they suggested, it wasn't a purse as they commented, but was a sharp instrument probably a TOOL.
As to not wanting to return to this body shop for the repairs, WHO would? After your property is disrespected and damage how could you trust them? This is 3 incidences at this shop. The scratch, the scuff marks and I had a 2011 Toyota Tacoma front fender replaces and painted. I payed top dollar for the repair, but they did not cover the wheel well when they painted the truck (it was red). After picking my truck up one day I was walking back from the store and noticed the wheel well was RED! I brought some flat black spray paint and took the wheel off and painted the wheel well myself, instead of hassling with the body shop. I took the 2012 Acura TSX there in good faith that the incident with the truck wheel well was and aberration. Giving them another chance to win my business present and future. I was sadly disappointed and financially damaged!
Additionally I want to state customer service IS NOT DAMAGING someone's property, inflating estimates to cover your expenses for your damage, and not taking responsibility for your shop's actions or while a customer's property is in your possession!

As previously stated in our first response, no employees from the shop used or had any sharp tools or objects near the rear of the vehicle, nor did we cause the scratch on the trunk lid.

The suggestions of what may have happened, example a stone or purse, were merely that, suggestions. We don't know how the scratch happened or if it happened before or after the vehicle was in the shop. We do know that it did not happen in our shop.

As to the different estimates given, the only written estimates given to this customer for the 2012 Acura were on 7/17. The estimate on the trunk lid was $560.59 and the estimate for the door was $623.85. The estimates were written as they would for any customer requesting an estimate on their vehicle.

We have tried on several occasions to help this customer out, and each time it has been met with something else he would blame on us. There is obviously nothing we can do to please this customer, other than accepting responsibility for something we did not do to his vehicle, and we are not going to do that.

Auto Body Repair & Painting