Door to Door Salesmen are misrepresenting their company.
Summer time is alarm salesmen time and currently the city of Abilene has 32 door to door salespeople permitted to sell alarms. Some salesmen are allegedly claiming to be affiliated with 1st Alarm Security of Abilene. 1st Alarm Security does not solicit door to door and is not affiliated with out of state companies. BBB advises to watch out for these tactics:
- Hi we here to upgrade your existing equipment… Sales crews are trained to look for homes that have existing alarms. Watch out you could end up with two contracts and two payments.
- Lots of name dropping, neighbors, watch groups, even your current alarm company or misrepresentation about the company they work for… Sales folks pick-up bits and pieces of info around the neighborhood and use it to make it appear they have been around town for a long time.
- Ask to see their Texas Department of Public Safety issued security license.
- Study the contract carefully noting the company name, monthly price, length of contract (most are for at least 2-5 years), and early cancellation fees.
- Federal Trade Commission rules allows a 72 hr. early cancellation which should be in writing and mailed to the alarm company certified return receipt requested.